So what type of 3rd baseman do we need?

balfanman

QUOTE (MuckFinnesota @ Nov 23, 2012 -> 08:19 AM)
Given that this hasn't been brought up in a week and the post was drowned out, my guess is it is pure soxtalk speculation painting a point that he wouldn't be welcomed back to this organization. Once people start to see that the Royals won't trade Moustakas and San Diego won't trade Headley (how did he get on the White Sox radar?), they'll start giving Youkilis some love...or at least realize the Sox will be stuck with a lousy 3b while they groom someone in the minors.

Some things you just have to accept on faith. The Chicago sports media is by and large either spineless in their reporting (don't want offend anyone and lose them) or 100% agenda based. With this in mind, you have been here long enough to know that people here do have an ear inside of the organization which fills in that void. If certain people are saying that Youk was an ass, I have no reason to not believe them. You won't see it in an official news article until after he signs somewhere else. It was the same with Ozzie.

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 23, 2012 -> 08:27 AM)
Some things you just have to accept on faith. The Chicago sports media is by and large either spineless in their reporting (don't want offend anyone and lose them) or 100% agenda based. With this in mind, you have been here long enough to know that people here do have an ear inside of the organization which fills in that void. If certain people are saying that Youk was an ass, I have no reason to not believe them. You won't see it in an official news article until after he signs somewhere else. It was the same with Ozzie.

I'll wait for that official news article then. Some people do have an ear inside the organization, but there have been times that some people have been very wrong. This isn't to say that I am completely denying Youkilis is an ass, though.

Can you enlighten me on Headley? How did the organization get tied to wanting him? Or was that speculation on our part?

Oops Agreeing with Southsider above and . . .

I would add that sports journalism occupies a different niche than news journalism and across the country sports reporters have turned into the guy on the next bar stool in some of their reporting. We accept way more bias and opinion in sports articles than we do in news stories.

QUOTE (MuckFinnesota @ Nov 23, 2012 -> 08:58 AM)
I'll wait for that official news article then. Some people do have an ear inside the organization, but there have been times that some people have been very wrong. This isn't to say that I am completely denying Youkilis is an ass, though.

Can you enlighten me on Headley? How did the organization get tied to wanting him? Or was that speculation on our part?

The Sox have a huge hole at 3b. Headley is a top-5 3b who may get expensive soon and the Padres have a prospect waiting in the wings, so they may contemplate trading him.

Mostly speculation around here I think, plus the Sox probably don't have the prospects to get him, unless they give up Sale.

The more I think about it, and the longer the search continues for both a third baseman, and an impact left handed bat, the more sense it makes to move Viciedo back to 3RD, or trade him. This organization has a lot of right handed hitting, outfield talent, and it's much easier to find an impact bat to play LF, than it is to play 3RD. De Aza is the only current Sox outfielder who bats left handed, and he isn't a middle of the order hitter. Thompson and Hawkins are the only outfielders on the list of Sox top prospects, and they both also hit from the right side. The Sox desperately need a left handed hitter now, and in the future.

Viciedo has hands of stone at third base. That may work well for a boxer, but not so much at 3rd base. I want my pitchers to have a solid defense. There is an old saying in team sports that applies across the board ... defense wins championships.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Nov 23, 2012 -> 10:45 AM)
Viciedo has hands of stone at third base. That may work well for a boxer, but not so much at 3rd base. I want my pitchers to have a solid defense. There is an old saying in team sports that applies across the board ... defense wins championships.

His footwork over there is just awful as well.

If your assessment of Viciedo's defensive potential is correct, then I agree that he shouldn't be moved to 3RD, which means that I would prefer that they consider trading him.

However, I'm not convinced that he couldn't become an adequate third baseman. He certainly has the arm, and he did become a pretty decent outfielder, through hard work and lots of practice. Don't you think that he has the athletic ability to improve significantly?

QUOTE (YASNY @ Nov 23, 2012 -> 10:45 AM)

But you can get to the World Series without it...

Edited by bucket-of-suck

QUOTE (oldsox @ Nov 24, 2012 -> 09:22 AM)
I said this somewhere before, but the Rockettes have a couple of guys who can play third AND hit, and they are desperate for pitching. Nelson and LeMehieu (sp). Pacheco, too, but he would be more expensive.

I see that the Rockies just acquired a top third base prospect, so perhaps they would move one of the guys you suggested:

http://colorado.rockies.mlb.com/news/artic...ol&c_id=col

Or, maybe they acquired Wheeler so that they could deal him to us. How's that for wishful thinking? He's the best fit, because he's left handed and appears to have good power. The Rockies need pitching. Would they want Floyd and Thornton?

Floyd's curve ball doesn't profile well in the mile high air, but Thornton's heater might work for them.

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (oldsox @ Nov 24, 2012 -> 08:22 AM)
I said this somewhere before, but the Rockettes have a couple of guys who can play third AND hit, and they are desperate for pitching. Nelson and LeMehieu (sp). Pacheco, too, but he would be more expensive.

Also, the Rockies have soured a bit on top 3B prospect Arenado for production drop and for some attitude issues. (Nothing major, he's known to be pretty aloof in the field and that's not a fit for them.)

When he's motivated, dude can hit. He projects to be a decent MLB 3B and is much better than anything the Sox have internally for that position, IMO. He could likely be had for Floyd.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Nov 25, 2012 -> 02:47 AM)
Also, the Rockies have soured a bit on top 3B prospect Arenado for production drop and for some attitude issues. (Nothing major, he's known to be pretty aloof in the field and that's not a fit for them.)

When he's motivated, dude can hit. He projects to be a decent MLB 3B and is much better than anything the Sox have internally for that position, IMO. He could likely be had for Floyd.

Arenado for Floyd would be a steal. I suspect it would take a bit more on the Sox end. I'd still be on board though.

QUOTE (mataipaepae @ Nov 27, 2012 -> 01:10 PM)
the mets have a young 3B sitting behind david wright we could try and get?

wilmer flores

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/prospects/watch/y2012/

Players who put up .300/.349/.479/.827 seasons as 20 year olds between A+ and AA while striking out at a 11% clip and walking at a 7% clip are typically dealt in young player for young player moves for guys like Chris Sale, or they're packaged for relatively durable players who have a lot of service time left, like Gio Gonzalez, Mat Latos, Miguel Cabrera, or Giancarlo Stanton.

What's scarier is that he was actually much better in AA than in A+.

I strongly, strongly doubt the Mets would trade him. If anything, they'll find another position for him to play.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Nov 28, 2012 -> 12:27 PM)
What the hell happened to Casey Mcgehee?? I hear he may be non-tendered. He had monster seasons in 09 and 10 and then fell of big time.

Manto'll fix em?

He was on the Brewers, maybe he was working out with Ryan Braun in 09 & 10?