So what type of 3rd baseman do we need?

balfanman

We all know the Sox have been interested in signing Youkilis for 3B since the offseason began, but with both the Phillies and now the Yankees also looking for the best available 3B, and seemingly having more spending power in the free agent market, it doesnt appear likely the Sox can sign Youkilis, at least without a correpsonmding salary dump trade. We all know the 3B FA pool is thing behind Youk, its ripe with agining unproductive vets such as Eric Chavez, Chone Figgins, Mark DeRosa, Brandon Inge, Orlando Hudson, Scott Rolen, Placido Polanco, etc etc. The best alternative seems to be the recently DFA'd Mark Reynolds.

While Reynolds definitely does not aid the White Sox biggest offensive deficiency, team OBP, he does provide significant offensive value. We all know he can't hit for average, has tremendous power, and plays a meh average 3B at best, but he would be a considerable upgrade to other internal or external options (listed above). He does own a career slash line of .235/.332/.475/.807 with 34HR and 95 RBI. He's a positive WAR player and holds a career wOBA of .335 which is pretty decent, both would help this team fill that 3B hole. His career ISO of .240 is solid, adding significant power to the lineup, but whats even better is that in a very fly ball friendly park, hes is a predominately fly ball hitter. He is a 47% FB hitter with a career 20.6 HR/FB %, both numbers would probably inflate some at USCF, though most likely at the cost of his already meager .221 BA. Nonetheless, I dont think he is a bad player to call "Plan B" for our 3B hole behind Youkilis.

I still think the Phillies or Yankees will give Youkilis either three years and/or $10M+ in annual salary. A figure I dont think he is worth at all. Reynolds had his $11M option declined and through arbitration MLBTR predicted a $8.9M salary for 2013. I wouldnt mind one year of Reynolds at that price for a year.

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Dec 3, 2012 -> 03:00 PM)
We should have one thread about Mark Reynolds being good, one thread about Mark Reynolds being bad...and another entirely about whether or not he's signed yet.

do i run message boards good?

I would prefer one entire thread about everything. If you want to talk politics, NBA, or White Sox, it doesn't matter...there's one thread for it.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 3, 2012 -> 03:04 PM)
I would prefer one entire thread about everything. If you want to talk politics, NBA, or White Sox, it doesn't matter...there's one thread for it.

Yeah, but then we'd be all confused and wondering why Adam Dunn showed up at the prison and cut off Abu Nazir's head while complaining about the fiscal cliff.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 3, 2012 -> 10:20 AM)
Most strikeouts, top 9, MLB

1) Oakland, 94 wins, PLAYOFFS

2) Houston, 55 wins

3) Pittsburgh, 79 wins

4) Washington, 98 wins, PLAYOFFS

5) Tampa Bay, 90 wins

6) Baltimore, 93 wins, PLAYOFFS

7) Atlanta, 94 wins, PLAYOFFS

8) Arizona, 81 wins

9) Cincinnati, 97 wins, PLAYOFFS

Fewest strikeouts, top 5, MLB

1) Kansas City, 72 wins

2) Minnesota, 66 wins

3) Cleveland, 68 wins

4) Philadelphia, 81 wins

5) San Francisco, 94 wins WORLD SERIES CHAMPION

For the record.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Dec 3, 2012 -> 05:48 PM)
For the record.

And that was obviously because the hitters didn't strike out and had nothing to do with the incredible pitching they received for a 16 game stretch.

I realize you're not saying that exactly, but you are implying it by pointing it out.

I have no problem with hitters striking out, and I have no problem with them not striking out. I'd like some balance, but there are about a million different ways to get the goal accomplished and the idea is to look for the most efficient one. It's a huge "if" and it's not likely to happen, but if Reynolds could be brought on play a serviceable 3B, and hit .240 with all the power, you are looking at around an .825-.850 OPS player. That has ridiculous value. He's just also going to strike out about 200 times too.

A lineup of

De Aza

Beckham

Dunn

Konerko

Rios

Reynolds

Viciedo

Flowers

Ramirez

or however you want to work it is going to hit a lot of home runs, they're going to score runs in bunches, but they'll also make a lot of outs.

It's not my ideal option, but it's an option that, given other circumstances (perhaps finding other pieces for that lineup some way or another), might work really well.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 12:01 AM)
And that was obviously because the hitters didn't strike out and had nothing to do with the incredible pitching they received for a 16 game stretch.

I realize you're not saying that exactly, but you are implying it by pointing it out.

I have no problem with hitters striking out, and I have no problem with them not striking out. I'd like some balance, but there are about a million different ways to get the goal accomplished and the idea is to look for the most efficient one. It's a huge "if" and it's not likely to happen, but if Reynolds could be brought on play a serviceable 3B, and hit .240 with all the power, you are looking at around an .825-.850 OPS player. That has ridiculous value. He's just also going to strike out about 200 times too.

A lineup of

De Aza

Beckham

Dunn

Konerko

Rios

Reynolds

Viciedo

Flowers

Ramirez

or however you want to work it is going to hit a lot of home runs, they're going to score runs in bunches, but they'll also make a lot of outs.

It's not my ideal option, but it's an option that, given other circumstances (perhaps finding other pieces for that lineup some way or another), might work really well.

Adding Reynolds to the lineup would make it even more important that Rick Hahn look to fill either C or LF with someone who is not a big K guy and has a high OBP. It would help provide some balance, but that would imply trading on those guys and acquiring someone else. If the White Sox are in win the WS in 2013 mode they should do that, if they are in another rebuild on the fly but stay competitive mode, then just keep as is (with Reynolds) and roll the dice.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 01:19 PM)
Jack Curry ‏@JackCurryYES

With ARod out, Yanks have spoken with Kevin Youkilis's agent. Word is that Youk would consider 1-year deal if money was at premium amount.

Interesting....

QUOTE (joeynach @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 10:25 AM)
Adding Reynolds to the lineup would make it even more important that Rick Hahn look to fill either C or LF with someone who is not a big K guy and has a high OBP. It would help provide some balance, but that would imply trading on those guys and acquiring someone else. If the White Sox are in win the WS in 2013 mode they should do that, if they are in another rebuild on the fly but stay competitive mode, then just keep as is (with Reynolds) and roll the dice.

You know how we all hate to watch the Sox not get runners in from 3B with less than two outs? Yeah, with that lineup, we'll probably have the worst RBI-rate in those situations.

Flowers, Dunn, and Reynolds are strikeout machines. Viciedo strikes out a lot too. Inability to put the ball in play will be an issue. Sure, we'll hit something like 225 home runs, but god I do hate watching all or nothing ball.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 02:48 PM)
Sounding more and more like it will be Brent Morel at 3rd...

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal

Price for Keppinger, according to official of one club involved in talks, is now at $8M for two years. #Yankees among teams with interest.

We can't afford Keppinger at $4 million a year? If that's the case, why even bother to sign anyone else?

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 03:15 PM)
We can't afford Keppinger at $4 million a year? If that's the case, why even bother to sign anyone else?

Ofcourse we can. I dont see how someone can get from that 1 tweet that Brent Morel is back at 3rd. I think people need to realize that we are in on more people than what is shown on twitter.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 03:15 PM)

I was going to replay with identical response, but then I thought maybe ss2k means if Keppinger is getting this money, rest of the 3B class will be priced way out of Sox range.