4 Sox players are on the trading block

SOXOBAMA

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Nov 9, 2012 -> 12:00 PM)
All of this "let's use Sanchez" talk is crazy to me. If you people are right then that means he's a potential HoFer given his age. I'll admit it is exciting seeing his contact rates and walk rates, but do we all need to chill the heck out? Are we really supposed to expect him to push Beckham this year?

3B seems ridiculous considering his size and approach at the plate.

Offensively, Beckham is a really bad fit for this team. I'd trade his power for patience and contact.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 9, 2012 -> 11:12 AM)
I can see no scenario where Hamilton would be signed here.

That is a ridiculous pipe dream.

I agree with you completely . I was just responding to people who were thinking that the rumors of Viciedo being moved meant it might make sense to go for Hamilton.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 9, 2012 -> 11:17 AM)
I agree with you completely . I was just responding to people who were thinking that the rumors of Viciedo being moved meant it might make sense to go for Hamilton.

Viciedo being moved, De Aza being moved, means another OF coming in. Hahn already has said 2013 is not a rebuilding year. No doubt Hamilton is a pipe dream, although except for the booze and crack and whatever else, he is exactly what they need. I still think the names mentioned could be traded for and in some cases for other teams" prospects for Justin Upton. Sox and D Backs have dealt a lot in the past, and this is probably a pipe dream as well, although not quite as big.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 9, 2012 -> 11:27 AM)
I think Dan Hayes is pull this info out of his ass. ADA and Dayan would be two of the hardest players to pry from the Sox. They would probably trade half their pitching staff before those guys, especially Viciedo. His info reeks of 8th hand BS.

Yeah, I think you're right. I can see moving Viciedo IF Hahn values his upside way differently than KW did, but moving ADA makes absolutely no sense. You can't get his production in CF for cheaper than you're paying him and there's no viable replacement internally.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 9, 2012 -> 11:28 AM)
Viciedo being moved, De Aza being moved, means another OF coming in. Hahn already has said 2013 is not a rebuilding year. No doubt Hamilton is a pipe dream, although except for the booze and crack and whatever else, he is exactly what they need. I still think the names mentioned could be traded for and in some cases for other teams" prospects for Justin Upton. Sox and D Backs have dealt a lot in the past, and this is probably a pipe dream as well, although not quite as big.

But we don't have anything like the bullets to get Upton. The D'backs want a young, cheap SS, 3B, or SP to be the centerpiece, and we just don't have any of that to give up -- all of our young value is in OF and RP. Even if you came up with a reasonable package, the Rays can trump it instantly with any of their breakout SP candidates. There's just no scenario where we end up with the best offer for Upton.

EDIT: Or, wait, you're suggesting moving OF/RP to get the things the D'backs want. Sorry, I didn't read that carefully enough. Still, anyone who would want to give up those pieces for Viciedo/ADA would be better off just going straight for Upton, right?

Edited by Eminor3rd

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 9, 2012 -> 11:30 AM)
Yeah, I think you're right. I can see moving Viciedo IF Hahn values his upside way differently than KW did, but moving ADA makes absolutely no sense. You can't get his production in CF for cheaper than you're paying him and there's no viable replacement internally.

I'm not really guessing here either. I would be SHOCKED to see those two seriously on the block, it would be a super duper secret against all of the other discussions.

Now I DO think we are after another OF'er, however thats because they are floating the idea of playing Dayan at 3B again.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 9, 2012 -> 11:32 AM)
But we don't have anything like the bullets to get Upton. The D'backs want a young, cheap SS, 3B, or SP to be the centerpiece, and we just don't have any of that to give up -- all of our young value is in OF and RP. Even if you came up with a reasonable package, the Rays can trump it instantly with any of their breakout SP candidates. There's just no scenario where we end up with the best offer for Upton.

Maybe the Sox use these players to get what AZ wants.hahn mentioned 3 way trades yesterday.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 9, 2012 -> 11:32 AM)
I'm not really guessing here either. I would be SHOCKED to see those two seriously on the block, it would be a super duper secret against all of the other discussions.

Now I DO think we are after another OF'er, however thats because they are floating the idea of playing Dayan at 3B again.

Do you think it's a decent name in a trade or an Ichiro type on the FA market?

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Nov 9, 2012 -> 09:43 AM)
I'd make a huge trade with AZ. Viciedo, Beckham and Jones for Upton & Montero

I keep having Upton in the back of my head too. Montero...forget it...the just signed him to an extension and no way in hell they'd deal him. If you guys are talking a left handed bat I think the DBacks would listen on Kubel.

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Nov 9, 2012 -> 01:55 AM)
Dan Hayes is reporting that Beckham, DeAza, Floyd and Viciedo might be traded this off season.

Floyd is a must trade while he has value. The other 3 I can live with in 2013.

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 9, 2012 -> 12:12 PM)
When Hahn mentioned some 3-way type deals, all I can think about is him trying to get Choo.

Reading that 3-way quote, I get the sense he was just using at as a device t say that his initial talk could turn into to anything from nothing to a lot. I didn't get the sense he actually meant there were 3 way deals on the horizon.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 9, 2012 -> 12:12 PM)
When Hahn mentioned some 3-way type deals, all I can think about is him trying to get Choo.

Possible,and if Cleveland trades him, they can't do anything about another team moving him along. I just have a tough time believing they would trade perhaps their best player knowing he would be movedwithin the division, although they have to know, especially trading these types, they will be bad for a while. He is another guy who fits the Sox needs very well.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 9, 2012 -> 09:29 AM)
What makes you believe you can rely on Victorino and Hafner after their up and down performances the last 2/3 seasons?

Why would you want to get older instead of younger?

There's definitely going to be some players out there worth taking a risk on, and there's obviously going to be this "catch lightning in the bottle/roll the dice" as it worked in 2005, it can work again, philosophy, but it's not going to be a sustainable model for success at all.

It puts us right back in the "must win in 2014/2015" time frame...we better cross our fingers that one of those guys like Thompson or Sanchez emerges at nearly Gordon Beckham 2009 impact mode to inject some youth, OBP and athleticism into the future offensive line-ups.

I don't want to get older, I want to get younger where we can with big time type players.

ADA is solid, but as a LF he's not nearly the same value as a CF. It's very clear he's not comfortable in CF and doesn't want to play there. I'd be very open to moving him because I believe a LF with his skill set is not an integral part to our success in the future.

I wouldn't trade any good, young, high upside long term pieces but I don't think we have many of those anyway. OTOH I'd have no problem rearranging deck chairs and reallocating payroll from one area to another by bringing in proven vets on 1-3 year deals, preferably 1 yr + option or 2 yr + option deals.

I think Hafner is a great target. I can't find the stats but IIRC he seems to do very well at the Cell, loves the batters eye or something. If we could dump Dunn, we could realistically get him for 2 years as a platoon partner for well less than we'd be giving Dunn in 1 year. Paulie is getting up there, so extra DH time would be good for him, and Viciedo could use more DH time as well if we're going to be working in other OF possibilities over that span. I would actually love Hafner for 2 years $12M, dump Dunn while eating no more than $5M in return contracts or salary, and you end up with about $13-18M left over to spread out into other areas. I really want Dunn gone honestly. He's a headcase and now is the time to dump his ass if we can. Sorry.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Nov 9, 2012 -> 12:17 PM)
All I know is that 3-way trades are generally blockbusters, so I'm excited to see what happens.

With the Sox, it seems 3 ways would be to get prospects other teams covet. Viciedo, De Aza and to a little lesser extent, Beckham, are precisely the guys on the Sox roster that could get you the best prospects. The other players all have money issues.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Nov 9, 2012 -> 12:20 PM)
I don't want to get older, I want to get younger where we can with big time type players.

ADA is solid, but as a LF he's not nearly the same value as a CF. It's very clear he's not comfortable in CF and doesn't want to play there. I'd be very open to moving him because I believe a LF with his skill set is not an integral part to our success in the future.

I wouldn't trade any good, young, high upside long term pieces but I don't think we have many of those anyway. OTOH I'd have no problem rearranging deck chairs and reallocating payroll from one area to another by bringing in proven vets on 1-3 year deals, preferably 1 yr + option or 2 yr + option deals.

I think Hafner is a great target. I can't find the stats but IIRC he seems to do very well at the Cell, loves the batters eye or something. If we could dump Dunn, we could realistically get him for 2 years as a platoon partner for well less than we'd be giving Dunn in 1 year. Paulie is getting up there, so extra DH time would be good for him, and Viciedo could use more DH time as well if we're going to be working in other OF possibilities over that span. I would actually love Hafner for 2 years $12M, dump Dunn while eating no more than $5M in return contracts or salary, and you end up with about $13-18M left over to spread out into other areas. I really want Dunn gone honestly. He's a headcase and now is the time to dump his ass if we can. Sorry.

You can't dump Dunn.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Nov 9, 2012 -> 12:20 PM)

Who is going to fill Hafner's platoon role during the 3 months of the season he will be injured?