Marlins trade Buehrle, Josh Johnson, Reyes plus others to Blue Jays

Baron

Buerhle has made around $90 million playing baseball. If he wants to be with his family 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, at age 32 or 33, he has that opportunity, an opportunity most people his age do not enjoy. Obviously, since he will continue to play, the money trumps the need to be with his family that much.

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 12, 2013 -> 08:30 AM)
Going into that situation, if the owner refuses to give you a no trade clause, it should be a red flag that they aren't trustworthy.

Why does not giving a NTC make someone untrustworthy? I would never give a no trade clause. It can put the club in a terrible position.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Feb 12, 2013 -> 01:45 PM)
Why does not giving a NTC make someone untrustworthy? I would never give a no trade clause. It can put the club in a terrible position.

When you promise not to trade someone, but refuse to give a NTC, that should raise a red flag. I wouldn't trust them.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 12, 2013 -> 02:49 PM)
When you promise not to trade someone, but refuse to give a NTC, that should raise a red flag. I wouldn't trust them.

This was also a team that had played this game before.

If the NTC wasn't a bad sign...the extremely backloaded contract should have been. That is the other key part of the Marlins trade game, pay a small amount upfront and then move the player before the bad years hit. And they did the same with Reyes.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 12, 2013 -> 08:06 AM)
That is ridiculous and you know it.

i am suggesting that this is Marks chosen profession, one that has paid him millions of dollars to play. Many of us miss school functions and kids moments due to work, it sucks but it is the way it goes. I dont feel bad for mark because he had an ideal situation with the Sox where he did have control of where he was traded with a limited NTC, as well as upper management that treated him very well, and he chose more money for lack of a NTC and to trust a untrustworthy businessman at his word.

Unfortunately Mark got swindled by a businessman, but i dont feel bad for Mark because he is well compensated for it.

My impression is that we never extended a contract offer to Mark, since we were not willing to come anywhere near market value at that juncture.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 12, 2013 -> 04:34 PM)
This was also a team that had played this game before.

If the NTC wasn't a bad sign...the extremely backloaded contract should have been. That is the other key part of the Marlins trade game, pay a small amount upfront and then move the player before the bad years hit. And they did the same with Reyes.

Reyes situation doesn't help Buehrle out at all.

QUOTE (Jake @ Feb 12, 2013 -> 04:36 PM)
My impression is that we never extended a contract offer to Mark, since we were not willing to come anywhere near market value at that juncture.

I am talking about previous contracts, all negotiated and completed in good faith from both sides.

Tell me this, do you think if Mark went to the Sox and wanted to work something out in order to stay, that they would have rejected it?

To me, he said he wanted to test the market, they said go right ahead. He got his offer, came to the Sox and told them, and Reinsdorf said "you better take that, we cannot offer you that." It is what it is.

I do believe if Mark wanted to stay at a more reasonable paycheck(for the Sox budget), it could have been worked out.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 14, 2013 -> 08:21 AM)
I am talking about previous contracts, all negotiated and completed in good faith from both sides.

Tell me this, do you think if Mark went to the Sox and wanted to work something out in order to stay, that they would have rejected it?

To me, he said he wanted to test the market, they said go right ahead. He got his offer, came to the Sox and told them, and Reinsdorf said "you better take that, we cannot offer you that." It is what it is.

I do believe if Mark wanted to stay at a more reasonable paycheck(for the Sox budget), it could have been worked out.

I think it is pretty clear the number the Sox could have brought Buehrle back for was an insult to Mark, which is why they never made an offer. They intended to move on without him.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 14, 2013 -> 09:25 AM)
I think it is pretty clear the number the Sox could have brought Buehrle back for was an insult to Mark, which is why they never made an offer. They intended to move on without him.

When Mark came back to the Sox and said that their offer was $60 million, there was nothing the Sox were going to be able to offer that was worth $24 million.

If Mark had come back and said "I have an enormous offer from Florida but I would be willing to go for a much smaller deal in exchange for no-trade protection, which I already have in Chicago", the Sox would have jumped right back.

That $24 million was worth more than no trade protection.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 14, 2013 -> 01:17 PM)
When Mark came back to the Sox and said that their offer was $60 million, there was nothing the Sox were going to be able to offer that was worth $24 million.

If Mark had come back and said "I have an enormous offer from Florida but I would be willing to go for a much smaller deal in exchange for no-trade protection, which I already have in Chicago", the Sox would have jumped right back.

That $24 million was worth more than no trade protection.

If they really wanted him, they would have made him an offer before free agency, like they did with Jake Peavy.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 14, 2013 -> 02:04 PM)
Didn't he specifically tell them he wanted to test free agency?

They had him locked up for years before free agency. There was plenty of time for extension talks. Again, this was a way to let Mark walk away, and have it be Mark's fault, not the White Sox.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 14, 2013 -> 03:06 PM)
They had him locked up for years before free agency. There was plenty of time for extension talks. Again, this was a way to let Mark walk away, and have it be Mark's fault, not the White Sox.

Well yeah...he did get a team offering him 4/$60 on the open market. That wasn't happening in extension talks either.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 14, 2013 -> 02:00 PM)
If they really wanted him, they would have made him an offer before free agency, like they did with Jake Peavy.

Yeah, I think our FA with AJ is more similar to the one we had with Buehrle than anyone else. "If you want an offer, it's going to be too small"

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 16, 2013 -> 01:24 PM)
I think the Dolphins disagree.

The Dolphins made the playoffs in 2008-2009 and had the 2nd worst attendance in the NFL, only filling 87% of their seats all season.

2009- 27th overall

2010- 26th overall

2011- 31st overall

2012- worst (76.3%)

Miami fans suck.

Edited by soxfan49