Marlins trade Buehrle, Josh Johnson, Reyes plus others to Blue Jays

Baron

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Just like the fans in South Florida," Buehrle said, "I was lied to on multiple occasions."

Saw that quote from Mark in the deadspin story on Buehrle. Glad to see he's willing to blast Miami Marlins ownership.

http://deadspin.com/5985005/mark-buehrle-w...nned-in-toronto

The Marlins single-handedly screwed over two White Sox, Mark and Ozzie. At least that's the way I see it.

QUOTE (TomSeaverFan @ Feb 18, 2013 -> 11:06 AM)
Saw that quote from Mark in the deadspin story on Buehrle. Glad to see he's willing to blast Miami Marlins ownership.

http://deadspin.com/5985005/mark-buehrle-w...nned-in-toronto

The Marlins single-handedly screwed over two White Sox, Mark and Ozzie. At least that's the way I see it.

How exactly did the Marlins screw over Ozzie? He made dumb comments, his team underacheived, yet he is still getting paid $7.5 million to sit at home for 3 years.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 18, 2013 -> 12:33 PM)
How exactly did the Marlins screw over Ozzie? He made dumb comments, his team underacheived, yet he is still getting paid $7.5 million to sit at home for 3 years.

Keeping around to finish his contract would have been the worst possible screwing. He gets paid, and he doesn't have to manage that pile of s*** in Miami.

What is Loria's motivation in owning a major league baseball team? Seriously. It's like he played a huge joke on the rest of baseball before last season in acquiring some highly priced real players and hiring Ozzie Guillen. Have they not gotten rid of all the high salaried players now? Are the Marlins going to win 50 games? Arguably they will have the worst team in baseball, right? So what is the motivation to own a team if you are going to strip it to nothing? I don't get it. Why not let somebody else own it? He can't be a popular figure in Miami.

QUOTE (TomSeaverFan @ Feb 19, 2013 -> 02:38 AM)
What is Loria's motivation in owning a major league baseball team?

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle...r-jeffrey-loria

When he finally bought into the Expos in 1999, it was for a minority share in the franchise. Still, a 24 percent stake in a major league franchise for the modest sum of about $12 million in U.S. dollars was a coup, even for a team as troubled as the Expos were. That was just the beginning. Loria quickly realized that the limited partners who controlled the rest of the franchise had no interest in putting a dime into the team beyond their initial investments. So he triggered a series of cash calls, heard crickets each time, and steadily increased his stake in the Expos. When he couldn't strong-arm the provincial government into building him a new stadium and saw that the team was doomed, Loria sold the Expos back to the league for $120 million. This was a substantial profit just from the effective $50 million valuation at which he'd first bought in. Tack on Loria's much larger stake by the time the sale took place, and he made a small fortune for his two-plus years of investment.

As thanks for the noble sacrifice he'd made in stewarding the dying Expos for a couple of years, Loria was allowed to purchase the Marlins for $158.5 million in 2002. The deal included a $38.5 million no-interest loan from the league, plus an attached discount that kicked in when Loria couldn't secure a new stadium within five years of the purchase. Those league handouts were nice, but there was a lot more money to be squeezed out of Loria's position of power. When government officials initially refused to cave to his demands for a new Marlins ballpark, Loria played the oldest trick in the book, the relocation threat. "San Antonio is a very viable market, and they're very serious," Loria said in April 2006. "Read my lips: They're very serious." It would take three more years of increased threats from Loria and stepson David Samson, plus the usual unwavering support (and more threats) from Bud Selig and his surrogates, before the Miami-Dade County Commission finally agreed to pay for the lion's share of a new stadium. In the end, the Marlins agreed to pay $125 million of the stadium's total $634 million in construction costs, with $35 million coming from another interest-free loan, this time from the county.

I see what he's in for. Profit.

QUOTE (TomSeaverFan @ Feb 19, 2013 -> 01:38 AM)
What is Loria's motivation in owning a major league baseball team? Seriously. It's like he played a huge joke on the rest of baseball before last season in acquiring some highly priced real players and hiring Ozzie Guillen. Have they not gotten rid of all the high salaried players now? Are the Marlins going to win 50 games? Arguably they will have the worst team in baseball, right? So what is the motivation to own a team if you are going to strip it to nothing? I don't get it. Why not let somebody else own it? He can't be a popular figure in Miami.

$$$$$$$$$$

QUOTE (TomSeaverFan @ Feb 19, 2013 -> 01:38 AM)

He makes a ton of cash on it every year. It was the same reason McCourt was in the business. Plus when he sells, he will make a ton of money again.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 19, 2013 -> 07:38 AM)
He makes a ton of cash on it every year. It was the same reason McCourt was in the business. Plus when he sells, he will make a ton of money again.

Hell, he got the taxpayers of Florida to hand him nearly a billion dollars.

Thanks for the Grantland story and all the comments. I had no idea. Wow. What an education I received. With Loria being smart as a fox, I'm a little surprised guys like Guillen fell for it. All Loria did was ruin Guillen's career. Now, Guillen I'm assuming has to be paid the full amount of the contract, which was a good contract. Guillen is the proverbial "set for life" I guess.

But my final question to you is ... why did Loria bother signing a guy like Guillen in the first place? Did he truly care at that point of signing Guillen about the popular perception that the team would be attracting Latino fans? I don't see where signing a "big name" manager would have mattered to Loria if he has this genius master plan of just making money. Where did Guillen fit into this??

Edited by TomSeaverFan

QUOTE (TomSeaverFan @ Feb 19, 2013 -> 05:48 PM)
Thanks for the Grantland story and all the comments. I had no idea. Wow. What an education I received. With Loria being smart as a fox, I'm a little surprised guys like Guillen fell for it. All Loria did was ruin Guillen's career. Now, Guillen I'm assuming has to be paid the full amount of the contract, which was a good contract. Guillen is the proverbial "set for life" I guess.

But my final question to you is ... why did Loria bother signing a guy like Guillen in the first place? Did he truly care at that point of signing Guillen about the popular perception that the team would be attracting Latino fans? I don't see where signing a "big name" manager would have mattered to Loria if he has this genius master plan of just making money. Where did Guillen fit into this??

Ozzie's $2.5 million paycheck this year is more than every Marlin on their payroll except 2.

But Dick, why did he want a highly-paid manager in the first place? Did Loria go "all in" for one season with the players he signed and the manager? Did he know he would be selling off ALL pieces if the all-in failed? Or was there no "all-in" to begin with? The Grantland story tells me Loria is a mastermind at making money. Not sure where the one season of spending money was coming from.

QUOTE (TomSeaverFan @ Feb 19, 2013 -> 05:48 PM)

Ozzie Guillen ruined Ozzie Guillen's career. Loria merely hired him to try and attract people to the ballpark - look at the wacky guy we have managing the team! - and had it not been successful, he was going to be gone anyways. If anything, Loria vindicated Guillen. If you'll recall, Guillen called out management/ownership either at the end of the season or shortly afterwards, and that was his own doing. But Guillen was proven to be right in the end.

So yeah, in the end, if Guillen ever gets another shot at managing, it's going to be because Loria is such a dick. I still have no sympathy for Ozzie Guillen because he's simply not a good manager and I feel for the next team who falls for his charade.

QUOTE (TomSeaverFan @ Feb 19, 2013 -> 06:00 PM)
But Dick, why did he want a highly-paid manager in the first place? Did Loria go "all in" for one season with the players he signed and the manager? Did he know he would be selling off ALL pieces if the all-in failed? Or was there no "all-in" to begin with? The Grantland story tells me Loria is a mastermind at making money. Not sure where the one season of spending money was coming from.

It was all a part of the con-job to sell tickets and get a stadium.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 21, 2013 -> 06:41 AM)
Wow, begging for a 3B coaching job already? How the mighty have fallen.

And for Buck. Didn't Ozzie and Buck have a little feud? I believe Ozzie used to sarcastically say Buck invented baseball.

The way Baltimore won last year makes you think they are in for a fall. Maybe Ozzie was thinking, they will struggle, get rid of Buck and as the 3B coach with a lot of experience, he would get the job.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 21, 2013 -> 06:41 AM)
Wow, begging for a 3B coaching job already? How the mighty have fallen.

I'm sure at his age, if he can't satisfy his ego managing, he at least wants to make sure he can go to the ballpark everyday. Unfortunately for him, his only hope is getting a broadcasting job and we know he's too damn difficult to understand to pull that off. So Ozzie is done and he's not even 50? So much has changed since 2005.