Marlins trade Buehrle, Josh Johnson, Reyes plus others to Blue Jays

Baron

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 21, 2012 -> 08:37 AM)

Haven't even read the article and I agree. He's going to be extremely upset to the point that he may be a clubhouse distraction, plus you could get a crazy, crazy haul for him right now too while he still has a ton of service time and is very cheap still.

Don't understand the re-hiring of Gibbons, he was already the manager the last time the Jays loaded up in the off-season and they still missed the playoffs. His Wikipedia page literally has a section entitled "Controversy with players".

So that's DEFINITELY the guy you want leading a clubhouse of superstar players. To go along with his 305-305 record. That's the best AA could come up with? What's John Olerud up to? or Joe Carter? It's all the rage to hire former players from your heyday as manager...

At least they're gonna underachieve in great uniforms... (but not against the Sox for whatever reason haha)

QUOTE (Cali @ Nov 21, 2012 -> 10:17 AM)
Don't understand the re-hiring of Gibbons, he was already the manager the last time the Jays loaded up in the off-season and they still missed the playoffs. His Wikipedia page literally has a section entitled "Controversy with players".

So that's DEFINITELY the guy you want leading a clubhouse of superstar players. To go along with his 305-305 record. That's the best AA could come up with? What's John Olerud up to? or Joe Carter? It's all the rage to hire former players from your heyday as manager...

At least they're gonna underachieve in great uniforms... (but not against the Sox for whatever reason haha)

John Olerud lives in Seattle. Joe Carter is the worst.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 21, 2012 -> 08:23 AM)
John Olerud lives in Seattle. Joe Carter is the worst.

I wasn't being 100% serious, they were just literally the only 2 blue jays from the past I could think of...

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 20, 2012 -> 09:04 AM)
They can always pick a different profession. Buehrle isn't going to re-locate his family to Toronto. If his kids are old enough for school, I'm sure they will be attending in Missouri. The majority of the baseball season falls outside of the school year, and he's only "home" half the time anyway. It is a pain I'm sure, but not nearly as difficult as moving a family permanently. It's really no different than him being in Chicago or Miami. Those weren't permanent residences either.

Up until now, Buerhle has made $90 million. If it were that much of an issue, he could always walk away and lead a rather comfortable life.

Wouldn't that be interesting... MB decides to retire instead of playing for Toronto.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 21, 2012 -> 11:34 AM)
Wouldn't that be interesting... MB decides to retire instead of playing for Toronto.

In a conversation I had yesterday with my dad, I said that it would not shock me at all if Mark hung 'em up.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Nov 21, 2012 -> 11:38 AM)
In a conversation I had yesterday with my dad, I said that it would not shock me at all if Mark hung 'em up.

Certainly possible. Had a lousy team experience in 2012, has gobs of money, gets traded to another country where his dog isn't allowed... maybe he will.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Nov 21, 2012 -> 11:38 AM)

From everything Mark used to say, it wouldn't be surprising at all. However, based on his old comments, it was also such a huge surprise that he signed with Miami under the circumstances.

His contract is also so back-loaded, Miami only paid him $6 million. There is still $48 million laying on the table.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 20, 2012 -> 09:04 AM)
They can always pick a different profession. Buehrle isn't going to re-locate his family to Toronto. If his kids are old enough for school, I'm sure they will be attending in Missouri. The majority of the baseball season falls outside of the school year, and he's only "home" half the time anyway. It is a pain I'm sure, but not nearly as difficult as moving a family permanently. It's really no different than him being in Chicago or Miami. Those weren't permanent residences either.

Up until now, Buerhle has made $90 million. If it were that much of an issue, he could always walk away and lead a rather comfortable life.

Are you suggesting that baseball players should not care where their kids are living or if they are with them or not? I don't believe athletes should give up being good fathers and mothers simply because they are athletes.

Sure it's easy to say someone can just switch careers, but that isn't reality for many people. Good and bad come with every job. Can't I have empathy for fireman who have to be away from their families for 48 hours at a time? Or business people who have to travel? Doctors who have to be on call?

Maybe you have a family and don't mind being away, but most people do. In Mark's case he accepted a position with a company in a place of his choosing but now is forced to change. Most people aren't forced to relocated without any influence on the decision.

QUOTE (Tex @ Nov 21, 2012 -> 12:14 PM)
Are you suggesting that baseball players should not care where their kids are living or if they are with them or not? I don't believe athletes should give up being good fathers and mothers simply because they are athletes.

Sure it's easy to say someone can just switch careers, but that isn't reality for many people. Good and bad come with every job. Can't I have empathy for fireman who have to be away from their families for 48 hours at a time? Or business people who have to travel? Doctors who have to be on call?

Maybe you have a family and don't mind being away, but most people do. In Mark's case he accepted a position with a company in a place of his choosing but now is forced to change. Most people aren't forced to relocated without any influence on the decision.

I think he's saying (and I agree), when you get to play baseball for a living and will soon have made 9 figure money in your career... you don't have a lot of room to complain about having to be moved. Don't like it, leave baseball. Yes of course it is hard on the kids and spouse - and they are compensated very, very, very well for that sacrifice.

QUOTE (Tex @ Nov 21, 2012 -> 12:14 PM)

He knows he can be traded at any time. If that is a problem, they can get a normal job. He is away from his family most of the time anyway, especially if his kids are in school because he doesn't live where he plays in the offseason, and he won't yank his kids out of school to hang with him for spring training. Plus he's on the road for 81 games every year and usually families don't travel with the team. He didn't pack up the family and move them to Miami, just like Chicago wasn't his permanent home.

Why is Toronto any different than being "away" when he played for the Sox or the Marlins? Canada isn't a 3rd world country located at the other end of the planet. It will be the same situation as before, except for his dog, who will probably have to stay with family members while he and/or his immediate family is away. Buehrle and his family live in Missouri. In fact, it's closer to Toronto from Buehrle's permanent home than it is to Miami.

Where has it been reported or rumored Buehrle wants no part of Toronto?

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Cali @ Nov 21, 2012 -> 10:17 AM)

This one is my favorite:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2525630

QUOTE (shakes @ Nov 21, 2012 -> 12:45 PM)

Shea Hillenbrand was a mediocre baseball player in his prime who was also a clubhouse cancer. Look how he jumped around and only had a 6 year a career.

Gibbons is actually a good strategic manager. With AA's background in sabermetrics, I totally understand the hire. Maybe Gibbons won't deal with idiots this time around.

It's a good thing they got Escobar out of there before Gibbons arrived...

And yeah, as far as the Passan article argues, the difference between $500,000 minimum for this year (Stanton's) and $7 million next year (expected to total $30 million for years 4-5-6) is HUGE for an acquiring team. Four years, vs. three years.

3 major league ready players and two more Top 10 prospects, probably 3-7 in a system.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 21, 2012 -> 08:41 PM)
Rienzo, Viciedo, Thompson, Mitchell, Sanchez, and Castro for Escobar and Stanton. Get it done Hahn, even if it involves a roofie colada

I don't think there is any way the Marlins accept that.

The only "somewhat" proven player there is Viciedo, and the only promising prospect is Thompson. The rest are borderline guys.

Edited by JoeCoolMan24