Marlins trade Buehrle, Josh Johnson, Reyes plus others to Blue Jays

Baron

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know that he's rich and everything, but Mark is a good guy and he gets kind of screwed here. I assume that the reports that he was "promised" not to be traded are true, and now he has to be apart from his family because the Marlins negotiated in bad faith. I wouldn't be shocked if Buehrle asks out of Toronto before long. Doesn't make much sense at this juncture, but I'd be happy to see him be a White Sox someday again.

QUOTE (Jake @ Feb 11, 2013 -> 09:41 AM)
I know that he's rich and everything, but Mark is a good guy and he gets kind of screwed here. I assume that the reports that he was "promised" not to be traded are true, and now he has to be apart from his family because the Marlins negotiated in bad faith. I wouldn't be shocked if Buehrle asks out of Toronto before long. Doesn't make much sense at this juncture, but I'd be happy to see him be a White Sox someday again.

He took the extra year with Marlins instead of a no or limited trade clause. He is a good guy, but it's business and he made a decision, I personally wouldn't put it in the "screwed" category.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Feb 11, 2013 -> 10:13 AM)
He took the extra year with Marlins instead of a no or limited trade clause. He is a good guy, but it's business and he made a decision, I personally wouldn't put it in the "screwed" category.

Exactly. He went to a team that has a history of trading away all their big money guys and they don't offer no trade clauses. People on this site were predicting it would happen from day one, it should not have been a surprise to Mark or his agent.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 11, 2013 -> 11:54 AM)
Exactly. He went to a team that has a history of trading away all their big money guys and they don't offer no trade clauses. People on this site were predicting it would happen from day one, it should not have been a surprise to Mark or his agent.

Especially when the guy refused to give you a no trade clause.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 11, 2013 -> 11:54 AM)

Probably not, but supposedly he was told to his face he would not be traded.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 11, 2013 -> 12:09 PM)
Probably not, but supposedly he was told to his face he would not be traded.

Yeah, this is the thing that bothers me. Mark seems like the type of guy that would give his word and mean it and I don't like see him getting burned by a lie. He was reportedly sold on "if we give you a NTC, then we won't be able to have leverage with future good players that might get you a ring" but then promised that he had a de facto NTC because they said so.

When it comes down to it, his kids won't care how much money he makes when he doesn't see them for all that time. That's why I feel bad.

Edited by Jake

How about the fact that the guy is giving up living with his entire family, for this one dog...that is absolutely incredible when you think about it. Here is a guy that has millions and millions of dollars, a young family, all the toys he could ever want, and he is going to go play in Toronto and leave his family in St Louis for some pit bull his wife adopted a while back in Illinois.

Amazing.

Goes to show you the effect dogs have on people.

QUOTE (Tex @ Feb 11, 2013 -> 03:13 PM)
As I said before, I have a lot of empathy for people who have little or no choice in where the work.

I do when said people make $250K or less. Three quick examples - lobbyists, scouts, and journalists - sometimes do have to travel anywhere and everywhere for their jobs, and have to be away from their family for days and weeks on end while being compensated relatively weakly.

Mark Buehrle is going to get paid $48 million (before taxes) over the next 3 years, and he will have time to go visit the family too every now and then too.

I'm far more empathetic towards the minor leaguers involved.

Mark could have held out for a no trade clause.

He had a lawyer, Im sure that his lawyer advised him what a merger/integration clause means. I know what I tell my clients: "I dont care what he said, I dont care what he promised you, you see this clause right here, it says it doesnt matter."

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 11, 2013 -> 09:41 PM)

He had a lawyer, Im sure that his lawyer advised him what a merger/integration clause means. I know what I tell my clients: "I dont care what he said, I dont care what he promised you, you see this clause right here, it says it doesnt matter."

And I'll bet his agent also told him that holding out for an NTC would cost him $25 million.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 11, 2013 -> 08:41 PM)

Baseball players are far more likely to believe in gentleman's agreements. Perhaps the time of that being okay has passed.

QUOTE (Tex @ Feb 11, 2013 -> 03:13 PM)
As I said before, I have a lot of empathy for people who have little or no choice in where the work.

Actually it was MBs call to sign with the Marlins. I'm sure he could have found work that paid him multiple millions in many cities I'd he so chose. While the Marlins did lie to him, It should be no surprise.

QUOTE (Tex @ Feb 11, 2013 -> 06:39 PM)
Are you suggesting that people who make more money love their kids less? That their kids will miss them less? That their kids don't need them to read them a story, play catch, or attend a school function?

That is ridiculous and you know it.

i am suggesting that this is Marks chosen profession, one that has paid him millions of dollars to play. Many of us miss school functions and kids moments due to work, it sucks but it is the way it goes. I dont feel bad for mark because he had an ideal situation with the Sox where he did have control of where he was traded with a limited NTC, as well as upper management that treated him very well, and he chose more money for lack of a NTC and to trust a untrustworthy businessman at his word.

Unfortunately Mark got swindled by a businessman, but i dont feel bad for Mark because he is well compensated for it.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 12, 2013 -> 09:06 AM)

i am suggesting that this is Marks chosen profession, one that has paid him millions of dollars to play. Many of us miss school functions and kids moments due to work, it sucks but it is the way it goes. I dont feel bad for mark because he had an ideal situation with the Sox where he did have control of where he was traded with a limited NTC, as well as upper management that treated him very well, and he chose more money for lack of a NTC and to trust a untrustworthy businessman at his word.

Unfortunately Mark got swindled by a businessman, but i dont feel bad for Mark because he is well compensated for it.

Small correction...he was a 10/5 player with the Sox, so he had a full NTC by the end. He gave up those rights when he signed elsewhere...if he'd decided he wanted that NTC it would have required him to stay.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 12, 2013 -> 08:06 AM)

I don't know that he was necessarily swindled as much as he wanted the extra millions to be worth it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 12, 2013 -> 08:15 AM)
I don't know that he was necessarily swindled as much as he wanted the extra millions to be worth it.

The "Swindling" was him being told he wouldnt be traded. No matter what, if he was told that and traded within a year, he was swindled.

But again, I cant feel bad for him here. And even moreso, he is choosing to be away from his entire family because of their family dog. They are staying in Missouri because of the dog, not because of his job.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 12, 2013 -> 08:28 AM)
The "Swindling" was him being told he wouldnt be traded. No matter what, if he was told that and traded within a year, he was swindled.

But again, I cant feel bad for him here. And even moreso, he is choosing to be away from his entire family because of their family dog. They are staying in Missouri because of the dog, not because of his job.

Going into that situation, if the owner refuses to give you a no trade clause, it should be a red flag that they aren't trustworthy.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 12, 2013 -> 12:20 PM)
I like that people in here are feeling bad for a man who makes $15 million per year. No one forced to take the $56 from a club that did not give him a no-trade clause and has the history that the Mariners do.

F*ck his dogs.

lol