Keppinger to Sox 3 yr deal

dmbjeff

I'll go out on a limb and say Keppinger's s***ty play is somehow the result of his broken leg this past offseason. Maybe he was unable to get into baseball shape or simply lost a lot of strength while recovering from the injury, but it seems like he only makes weak contact a the plate now. He's also looked a little sluggish or lazy in the field. There has to be something wrong with him physically. He's literally the worst player in the game right now and when Beckham comes back, he better get sent to the bench ASAP, because I don't expect to see the real Jeff Keppinger until next season.

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fortunately, his presence on this team is of very little importance. When Beckham returns he would have been relegated to the bench anyway.

There is no way he should take Gillaspie's place at 3RD, except for the occasional LH starting pitcher. The Sox need Gillaspie's left handed bat in the lineup, and he's much better on defense than Keppinger. Keppinger's poor performance is the least of this team's problems, as is glaringly apparent to everyone.

QUOTE (Lillian @ May 12, 2013 -> 05:48 AM)
Fortunately, his presence on this team is of very little importance. When Beckham returns he would have been relegated to the bench anyway.

There is no way he should take Gillaspie's place at 3RD, except for the occasional LH starting pitcher. The Sox need Gillaspie's left handed bat in the lineup, and he's much better on defense than Keppinger. Keppinger's poor performance is the least of this team's problems, as is glaringly apparent to everyone.

As long as we keep him for three years....well, can afford to keep him for the three guaranteed years of his contract, and don't do something idiotic like packaging him in trade with Peavy to save the remainder of his Teahen-esque deal to get a Zach Stewart or Nestor Molina back in return.

Jeff Keppinger has yet to draw a walk in 128 plate appearances this season.

It's quite an oddity, as he's the only player with at least 40 plate appearances who hasn't drawn a walk. Keppinger has never been known as an on-base machine, but he still owns a 6.3 percent career walk rate. The aggressive approach hasn't worked well for him so far, as he's batting just .183/.180/.198 with zero homers and a .378 OPS.

Per Rotoworld

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ May 12, 2013 -> 05:42 AM)
I'll go out on a limb and say Keppinger's s***ty play is somehow the result of his broken leg this past offseason.

Yeah, nothing to do with the fact that he's a career backup who is 33 years old coming off a career year.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 14, 2013 -> 11:35 AM)
Yeah, nothing to do with the fact that he's a career backup who is 33 years old coming off a career year.

Wow, I love your spot-on analysis. A guy with a career .716 OPS is currently putting up a .378 OPS. I didn't realize he was a career backup (he has over 400 PAs in 4 of the last 5 seasons), nor did I realize 33 was the age when guys normally fall off the cliff physically. Luckily you've explained conclusively why he went from a solid/average player to the worst player in baseball. Thank you for clarifying.