Keppinger to Sox 3 yr deal

dmbjeff

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just pure speculation... I wonder of the Sox plan to trade Beckham, and maybe Floyd or another pitcher, to get a 3B? And play Keppinger at 2b?

I doubt they plan to trade Beckham, but Keppinger's ability to play 2B at least gives them the flexibility to listen to offers.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 01:38 PM)
He'll be starting at 3rd for the Sox next year, and for about 40% of what Youk would have received if they picked up his option.

Yes, he'll be starting for us, but has been pretty much a replacement level player. His career bWAR was negative coming into his breakout season at age 32. But if the money isn't bad I can't complain.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 12:44 PM)
Phil Rogers ‏@ChiTribRogers

Jeff Keppinger does well in Bill James' defensive metrics. He's a +7 runs saved in 50 games at 3rd last year vs. Kevin Youkilis' -1.

i know Bill James' numbers are not the end all be all, however where did the talk come from that Keppinger was a liability on defense? I am not doubting or agreeing just wondering