espn says the sox are in need of a leadoff hitter

Bubba Philips

This thread begs the question of "what do the Sox need the most?" I would say it's not just in acquiring bodies. This is what we need the most in order to be a team that could finish 20 games over .500.

Because of Flowers' great arm I won't say the Sox's biggest need is catcher.

1.) we need a third baseman who can hit and is able to field better than Youk, who was no Brent Morel with the glove.

2.) We need Floyd and Danks to be healthy all year long. The re-signing of Peavy means we do not have to acquire another starter if my first sentence comes true.

3.) We need Viciedo to emerge as a special hitter while repeating the year he had with the glove. We won't win anything with him being the Viciedo of last year.

4.) We need a reliable righthanded reliever, somebody named Joaquim Soria, although I realize that ship has sailed. Somebody just like Soria. Gotta get one. We also could use a reliever NOT NAMED Crain and Thornton, to become RELIABLE. I think our closer is fine for 3-4 more years until his arm falls off, the malady affecting most all closers.

5.) We need Beckham to hit better. There are too many nights our big boppers have pop-up-itis or strikeout itis. We just have to have a decent hitting second baseman to be legitimate contenders.

Those are my list of needs for the team. I think they are fair.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 07:10 PM)
This thread begs the question of "what do the Sox need the most?" I would say it's not just in acquiring bodies. This is what we need the most in order to be a team that could finish 20 games over .500.

1.) we need a third baseman who can hit and is able to field better than Youk, who was no Brent Morel with the glove.

2.) We need Floyd and Danks to be healthy all year long. The re-signing of Peavy means we do not have to acquire another starter if my first sentence comes true.

3.) We need Viciedo to emerge as a special hitter while repeating the year he had with the glove. We won't win anything with him being the Viciedo of last year.

4.) We need a reliable righthanded reliever, somebody named Joaquim Soria, although I realize that ship has sailed. Somebody just like Soria. Gotta get one. We also could use a reliever NOT NAMED Crain and Thornton, to become RELIABLE.

5.) We need Beckham to hit better. There are too many nights our big boppers have pop-up-itis or strikeout itis. We just have to have a decent hitting second baseman to be legitimate contenders.

Greg I really have no idea how you can call Soria reliable at this point.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 6, 2012 -> 02:14 AM)
Greg I really have no idea how you can call Soria reliable at this point.

Don't you think he'll be fine coming off the surgery? Most pitchers come back from that now, don't they?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 07:17 PM)
Don't you think he'll be fine coming off the surgery? Most pitchers come back from that now, don't they?

He was not very good in 2011 and has not retired anyone in over a year. I would imagine his workload will be monitored early. Joe Nathan took a little while to come back.

QUOTE (forrestg @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 06:01 PM)
Describing the needs for each team . Describing a sox weakness and want was a leadoff hitter. I thought DeAza was not bad. I suppose Ichiro might be a little better .

I don't know how these people have jobs. They probably don't even know who De Aza is.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 07:10 PM)

4.) We need a reliable righthanded reliever, somebody named Joaquim Soria, although I realize that ship has sailed. Somebody just like Soria. Gotta get one. We also could use a reliever NOT NAMED Crain and Thornton, to become RELIABLE. I think our closer is fine for 3-4 more years until his arm falls off, the malady affecting most all closers.

I think this is spot-on.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 7, 2012 -> 05:18 PM)
He did.

I don't understand this apparent zeal of the Sox to trade him. He gave us the best leadoff work in a decade.

Because his value is at an all-time high, he seems injury prone, and some have questioned his ability to play CF.

I get he was very solid as our leadoff hitter last year, but I think there's a case for moving him now while his value is still high. Also, OF is our deepest position in terms of depth in the minors and we have a couple guys who will be knocking on the door in the next season or two.

Having said all this, I'm not necessarily advocating trading him. I just think you have to gauge his value, and if even a single GM thinks he's close to an elite leadoff hitter and is willing to pay a premium for him, you move him in a heartbeat and worry about your own leadoff guy later.