AJ Pierzynski Appreciation thread

Kyyle23

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 21, 2012 -> 10:00 AM)
A career year for a catcher at age 35 is not something that will be repeated. This is a great time to move on.

Exactly. People are emotionally attached - which I totally get, I'll miss him too - but logic says otherwise.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 21, 2012 -> 10:14 AM)
And I was in the stands.

As was I, way up in like Row 18 UD, out near the RF foul pole. Fantastic game.

So many great AJ memories:

The 05 Dodgers walk-off (and bat flip)

The 05ALDSG1 homer against the BOSOX (which I called, in person, on the very pitch)

The 05ALCSG2 dropped 3rd strike (also there in person)

The 9th inning go-ahead bomb at Wrigley

The barrelling of Michael Barrett

The Humber perfecto

and, last but not least, his contribution to my screen name.

Farewell, Stooge!

I was at that game too. IIRC wasn't that the same game where Jeff Kent bit off a chunk of Hee-Sop Choi's ear?

AJ leaving the Sox is a lot like how you feel when a great humanitarian passes away. What do you say? What can you say? There aren't enough words for it.

AJ is one of the greatest & most influential players in franchise history and he is also responsible for some of the greatest moments in franchise history. I have faith he'll be back here again, maybe even as a player to retire in our uniform, but until that day, a piece of my heart is going to reside in Texas. AJ, you know how I feel about you.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Dec 21, 2012 -> 07:34 PM)
I was at that game too. IIRC wasn't that the same game where Jeff Kent bit off a chunk of Hee-Sop Choi's ear?

AJ leaving the Sox is a lot like how you feel when a great humanitarian passes away. What do you say? What can you say? There aren't enough words for it.

AJ is one of the greatest & most influential players in franchise history and he is also responsible for some of the greatest moments in franchise history. I have faith he'll be back here again, maybe even as a player to retire in our uniform, but until that day, a piece of my heart is going to reside in Texas. AJ, you know how I feel about you.

This

A.J. always kept our team an entertaining one to watch even when the team seemed all but out of it. One of the joys I enjoy watching is when players show a passionate fire inside of them to give it all they have for every game and A.J. is a prime example of having that special poise.

Thank you for all the memories number 12!

Thanks for everything AJ, especially for slappin that home plate against the cubs. I'm sorry we didn't continue that badass persona in the town. We had it, we had the town, and we let it slip away. You did all you could to make us nationally awesome and badass.

Thanks for making cub fans throw trash all over their own field.

And thanks for living where you do, which made for the best late night cruises.

I hope you come back to the White Sox family when your playing career ends.

Thanks for the memories, hustle, and all around good play AJ. You will be missed but never forgotten as a Sox and for the contributions to the 2005 season. Is Paulie the only member of the White Sox still around from 05?

Paulie is the only player. Harold and Coop are coaches who remain from 2005.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 21, 2012 -> 10:14 AM)
And I was in the stands.

I was there, too. What a fantastic game and a great play by AJ.

I'll miss him for sure, and my daughter was devastated when I told her the news. She loves AJ and always chose #12 for her softball jerseys. There's no doubt he was instrumental in the Sox winning the World Series, but he brought his "play as hard you can" attitude every day. There are so many things he did over the years from big homeruns to little things that just irritated the other team. He's always been the guy you hate on other teams, but I have no doubt he will get quite an ovation when he returns to the Cell next year (for his first at-bat anyway).

I think Flowers will be okay. I imagine he will be a better hitter with more consistent playing time, and we already know he's got a ton of power. He could be a .250ish hitter with 20+ HRs. Or he could hit more homeruns with a lower average. We'll have to wait and see. I'm not sure about a back-up for him, though. I wonder if we'll see a minor move to acquire a decent back-up.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Dec 26, 2012 -> 07:54 AM)
I was there, too. What a fantastic game and a great play by AJ.

I'll miss him for sure, and my daughter was devastated when I told her the news. She loves AJ and always chose #12 for her softball jerseys. There's no doubt he was instrumental in the Sox winning the World Series, but he brought his "play as hard you can" attitude every day. There are so many things he did over the years from big homeruns to little things that just irritated the other team. He's always been the guy you hate on other teams, but I have no doubt he will get quite an ovation when he returns to the Cell next year (for his first at-bat anyway).

I think Flowers will be okay. I imagine he will be a better hitter with more consistent playing time, and we already know he's got a ton of power. He could be a .250ish hitter with 20+ HRs. Or he could hit more homeruns with a lower average. We'll have to wait and see. I'm not sure about a back-up for him, though. I wonder if we'll see a minor move to acquire a decent back-up.

I wouldn't be surprised if they brought back Miguel Olivo, which wouldn't be a bad thing.

Edited by GreatScott82

Daryl Van Schouwen ‏@CST_soxvan

Reinsdorf statement: “A.J. will forever be appreciated and remembered by White Sox fans as a very special member of this franchise...''

"He earned that spot in our hearts. I personally wish A.J. the very best with the Rangers and with the rest of his career.''

“Every White Sox fan appreciates and celebrates what A.J. meant to this organization during his time in Chicago.''

'AJ epitomized the South Side through his toughness, attitude, flair for the dramatic and his passion for the game. He came win every day.'