2013 Films Thread

cabiness42

Les Mis is the first movie I've seen in a theater in 5 years, and I loved it. I have to admit I didn't fully understand the plot when I saw it on stage several years back, and the film made the plot make much more sense.

Jackman was an amazing Valjean, Crowe played the part of Javert superbly but his singing wasn't great, and Helena Bonham Carter and Sasha Baron Cohen were perfect as the Thenardiers.

Oh, and when they sang "Do You Hear the People Sing" at Lamarque's funeral, it was hard for me not to stand up in the theater and start singing with them. Very moving.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Brian @ Dec 31, 2012 -> 08:05 PM)
I had some health problems this year so was off work and saw a lot of movies, even more than I usually do. Here is my top 10 list. I also made a list of disappointing movies and awful ones but will save you those lists.

10-Cabin in the Woods

I’ve never been much for cliché’d slasher typer horror films. I like mysterious ones with characters different than the stupid teenagers. This is the horror movie to end all horror movies with characters that border on the cliché and some that “get it”. It’s a fun ride that is totally rewatchable and recommend it to those who do not like horror at all.

9-Moonrise Kingdom

I have always thought that Wes Anderson was kind of overrated. He never really got the attention to be called a great filmmaker but he has his underground fans who drool over everything he does. This is a film carried by two unknown child actors who are charming and believable and the first Wes Anderson movie I was fully pulled into. We have had a couple of films this year that shows realistic children/teens, look further down, with realistic problems and it is refreshing, even with Anderson’s over the top “quirky” style.

8-Goon

I am a sucker for sports movies. There is something about the human drama of a game or sporting event that I can associate with. This is a vulgar comedy that is actually heartwarming about someone in a rut but finds a unique talent, excels at it, and becomes accepted. Sean William Scott is very likable in the lead and the supporting characters provide the majority of the comedy.

7-Beasts of the Southern Wild

This is another great film this year with a child lead. Hushpuppy is forced to grow up fast under 2 extreme circumstances. It is hard to distinguish if this is a documentary at first but comes clear soon enough. A rare film that shows people living in extreme poverty but also how they are comfortable and enjoy their lifestyle in their own way.

6-Perks of Being A Wallflower

I was not quite sure what to expect when I walked into the theatre. A fun high school film about “misfits” who find themselves together and enjoy each other, until the film grows darker and darker as the pasts of some of the characters are revealed. In a time now where mental health of the youth is in the headlines, this is a film that means even more.

5-Safety Not Guaranteed

A film that is not a murder mystery or horror movie but keeps you guessing. Not about who did what, but if things are real or in someone’s head. A movie about wanting to go back in time, hypothetically and literally, and even going forward. Also, if you should believe or not.

4-Silver Linings Playbook

In the year of Jennifer Lawrence, this is a film that shows Bradley Cooper has acting chops, and can do more than get zapped by a taser or sack Vince Vaughn. This movie does not sell out on the mental illness that the two leads may or may not have. It comes off as very real and is my favorite character piece of the year.

3-Argo

Like the tag line says, it’s hard to believe this is a true story. Despite knowing the outcome, you are on the edge of your seat and nervous at every turn. Benn Affleck is batting 1.000 as a director, despite needing to stop “Hollywood-izing” his endings. I hardly blinked and never checked my phone for the time.

2-Life of Pi

When I first saw the trailers, I didn’t think it would be kind of movie. Despite Ang Lee at the helm, I just wasn’t sure what to expect. The reviews were too great to ignore. This is a visual masterpiece that will keep you talking about what was what, when it is over. Not sure how realistic a survival story like it is, but it doesn’t matter in the end.

1-Looper

Studying film in college, I had to endure fan boys and their love of BLADE RUNNER, a film I found horribly dull and overrated. BLADE RUNNER is a movie that people have talked about and theorized about since it first came out. For me, LOOPER is that. While it has a sci fi element and takes place in the future, it doesn’t feel like a sci fi movie, as it becomes a cat and mouse game between one person. This is a fun, rewatchable film, with the greatest child performance I have seen in years. Joseph Gordon Levitt had a great year as well and it has just the right amount of Bruce Willis.

I don't think Gone Baby Gone had a Hollywood ending at all.

I'd give Looper a B+. Cool idea, JGL rocked the crap out of that part and sounded exactly like Bruce Willis, the kid was really good..... Yet the ending could be seen from a mile away, the style didn't always fit (in one scene they drive a Dodge Ram truck with some kind of PVC exhaust attachment, in the next scene there's a hover bike), and overall the movie just didn't have much depth. An entertaining movie, but not anything special.

Also, my wife and I were confused about one part -

wasn't the explanation for the whole traveling back in time thing that in the future it was too difficult to kill people and get rid of bodies? Didn't they kill JGL's future Asian wife pretty easily? Did we miss something?

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jan 2, 2013 -> 09:42 AM)
I saw the new trailer for Oz The Great and Powerful in front of Monsters Inc in 3D. The movie looks to be visually awesome. With Sam Raimi at the helm the film could be great. Hopefully it's not completely Disney-ized.

I saw the previews for it a couple of months ago, and I am really excited about seeing it.

Watched Veducated and Forks Over Knives on Netflix.

Like... literally makes me want to go Veg/Vegan... it's just mind blowing. Everything from essentially curing cancer to big farms throwing live baby chicks into a grinder for cat food. Humans suck. :P

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jan 2, 2013 -> 10:08 AM)

Like... literally makes me want to go Veg/Vegan... it's just mind blowing. Everything from essentially curing cancer to big farms throwing live baby chicks into a grinder for cat food. Humans suck. :P

I will welcome you with open arms. It's not that hard of a change.

Plus you live in the most vegan friendly city in the US.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 2, 2013 -> 02:32 PM)
I will welcome you with open arms. It's not that hard of a change.

Plus you live in the most vegan friendly city in the US.

I think Portland would give us a run for our money. :)

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jan 2, 2013 -> 12:08 PM)

Do it.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jan 2, 2013 -> 12:05 PM)
I think Portland would give us a run for our money. :)

No. Not even close. The number of vegan and vegan-friendly restaurants in NYC dwarfs all other cities. I read an article on it not long ago but can't seem to find it.

/tangent

Edited by BigSqwert

So, we all know about M Night's collapse - after three very solid movies, his stuff went downhill fast. I've been saying for years (as have others in this very forum) that he is a masterful director, but he needed to get away from doing any of the writing, and just direct. But he kept refusing to do that.

Now, apparently,

The screenplay is written by Stephen Gaghan, who also wrote screenplays for Traffic and Syriana, both of which I liked a lot. So I have high hopes we may finally see Shyamalan get back on top with this one.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 3, 2013 -> 10:02 AM)
Unbreakable was the only M Knight movie I enjoyed.

I think Unbreakable was underrated. There was too much hype and "comparison" to The Sixth Sense (which was an incredible movie), so the movie was never really appreciated for what it was.

I enjoyed Signs, too. The Village was weak. I haven't seen anything else by him.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jan 4, 2013 -> 08:47 AM)
Loved:

The Sixth Sense

Signs

The Village

Disliked:

Unbreakable

The Happening (holy crap this one sucked)

Didn't even watch:

The Last Airbender

Lady in the Water

Overall I REALLY REALLY loved Signs and The Village.

The bolded... that is something I've never heard. You disliked Unbreakable, but liked The Village?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 4, 2013 -> 08:50 AM)
The bolded... that is something I've never heard. You disliked Unbreakable, but liked The Village?

Yea, I really loved The Village. Something about it draws me in, although, I figured out the "twist" part of the way in. Unbreakable, I should probably watch it again. i dont really remember being drawn into it. But, maybe it's just a distant memory and I need to see it again.