2013 Films Thread

cabiness42

Has anyone seen KILLER JOE?

That movie is pretty much insane. There's a good reason for the NC-17 rating.

Gina Gershon has some guts to do that scene with Matthew McConaughey.

Emile Hirsch was good too, along with Thomas Hayden Church....whose career hasn't really taken off after the success of Sideways with Giamatti.

SIDE EFFECTS?

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Jake @ Mar 9, 2013 -> 10:16 PM)
I finally just saw Argo.

That movie...sucked. I honestly can't believe it was nominated. I'm not outraged that I spent money to rent it, but seriously that's not a great movie.

I just saw it the other day, and I agree with you. I don't get what was so great about it, at all.

QUOTE (Jake @ Mar 9, 2013 -> 10:16 PM)
I finally just saw Argo.

That movie...sucked. I honestly can't believe it was nominated. I'm not outraged that I spent money to rent it, but seriously that's not a great movie.

I don't think it sucked by any means, actually thought it was a good movie. That being said, in a normal year I don't think it deserves to be nominated let alone win best picture. I haven't seen Lincoln or Life of Pi so don't know how those compare but while I think silver lining playbook was good not really a best picture candidate either in a normal year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 10, 2013 -> 11:16 AM)
This is listed as "unlikely to be released online" and may get pulled soon.

Huh, I saw that a few days ago on screen rant. I figured you already saw it with your lifetime trek membership

AMOUR really should have been the movie of the year, but there's just not enough people who have sat through it....it would have been another version of THE ARTIST and that's terrible for Academy Award tv ratings, lol.

But yeah, there were no GREAT movies. Lincoln, Django, Zero Dark Thirty, Life of Pi, Silver Linings, even Flight was one of the nominees, LES MIZ...having watched all of them, there wasn't a standout.

There were a lot of GREAT individual performances, clearly, but not one great movie, overall.

QUOTE (Jake @ Mar 10, 2013 -> 02:36 PM)
Of the ones I've seen, Django is far, far superior to any other. I have a sense that Amour is going to be very good based no who made it, though.

I think Django up to the crazy shootout scene was probably the best movie of the year, while I did happen to enjoy that scene it was also utterly ridiculous and with it makes me feel any small chance the film had was over.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Mar 10, 2013 -> 11:13 AM)
I don't think it sucked by any means, actually thought it was a good movie. That being said, in a normal year I don't think it deserves to be nominated let alone win best picture. I haven't seen Lincoln or Life of Pi so don't know how those compare but while I think silver lining playbook was good not really a best picture candidate either in a normal year.

I thought their tagline was appropriate. Argof***yourself.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 10, 2013 -> 12:44 PM)
AMOUR really should have been the movie of the year, but there's just not enough people who have sat through it....it would have been another version of THE ARTIST and that's terrible for Academy Award tv ratings, lol.

But yeah, there were no GREAT movies. Lincoln, Django, Zero Dark Thirty, Life of Pi, Silver Linings, even Flight was one of the nominees, LES MIZ...having watched all of them, there wasn't a standout.

There were a lot of GREAT individual performances, clearly, but not one great movie, overall.

I'm with you, I think Amour was the best of the nine nominees, but there wasn't that one amazing movie this year. Life of Pi and Silver Linings Playbook were both great and worthy nominees, but neither seem like a true Best Picture winner to me.

Lincoln and Zero Dark Thirty were the two movies I had really high expectations for but failed to meet them. Zero Dark Thirty was very entertaining, but it didn't wow me by any means. I was blown away by the Hurt Locker and for some reason I didn't get that same reaction with Zero Dark Thirty, probably because I knew how it was going to play out. As for Lincoln, for some reason I was completely disappointed. Daniel Day-Lewis was unbelievable in his role, but I felt the movie was slow at times and quite frankly I was expecting a more comprehensive tale of the man. The movie should have been called "The 13th Amendment" instead, since that was the basis of the entire movie.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Mar 10, 2013 -> 06:36 PM)
I'm with you, I think Amour was the best of the nine nominees, but there wasn't that one amazing movie this year. Life of Pi and Silver Linings Playbook were both great and worthy nominees, but neither seem like a true Best Picture winner to me.

Lincoln and Zero Dark Thirty were the two movies I had really high expectations for but failed to meet them. Zero Dark Thirty was very entertaining, but it didn't wow me by any means. I was blown away by the Hurt Locker and for some reason I didn't get that same reaction with Zero Dark Thirty, probably because I knew how it was going to play out. As for Lincoln, for some reason I was completely disappointed. Daniel Day-Lewis was unbelievable in his role, but I felt the movie was slow at times and quite frankly I was expecting a more comprehensive tale of the man. The movie should have been called "The 13th Amendment" instead, since that was the basis of the entire movie.

The strategy of going with one snippet or episode of his life was definitely strategic...instead of going with the Gandhi "life chronology" method of story telling.

I would have enjoyed seeing the Lincoln movie capturing every moment of his life until the 1860 presidential election, particularly the Lincoln/Douglas debates and his many epic failures in both his professional and political careers. That would have been a lot more inspirational.

It could also track his evolution over time on the issue of slavery in a more interesting fashion.

In some ways, it was more like a "period piece" version of The West Wing or, more recently, House of Cards. Most movie-goers aren't patient or interested enough in the minutae of a bill and behind-the-scenes political machinations of any bill getting passed, even one as important as the 13th....and then they played around with the actual facts to make it more interesting and dramatic, which also detracted from it.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Mar 10, 2013 -> 11:13 AM)

I thought Silver Linings was the best of the bunch.

I was on the road and watched a movie on HBO the other night in a hotel. It was called "Wanderlust" I believe with Jennifer Aniston and Paul Rudd. It's about two people in the rat race who become hippies in a commune. I would give it a D or one star. Has anybody seen it? I don't even think Aniston looked that hot. I thought she looked GREAT in Horrible Bosses.

Edited by TomSeaverFan

QUOTE (TomSeaverFan @ Mar 11, 2013 -> 11:06 PM)
I was on the road and watched a movie on HBO the other night in a hotel. It was called "Wanderlust" I believe with Jennifer Aniston and Paul Rudd. It's about two people in the rat race who become hippies in a commune. I would give it a D or one star. Has anybody seen it? I don't even think Aniston looked that hot. I thought she looked GREAT in Horrible Bosses.

Yep, bad bad movie.

Paul Rudd's in a bit of a slump....I thought Malin Ackerman was good, though.

Saw it at a free screening. Thank God it was free because outside of Ken Marino, that movie blew chunks.

This review is not only hilarious but also probably belongs on Amazon for it's hilarity.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 11, 2013 -> 11:11 PM)
Yep, bad bad movie.

Paul Rudd's in a bit of a slump....I thought Malin Ackerman was good, though.

This next one with Tina Fey looks brutal as well - and they've been advertising it for like 10 months!