2013 Films Thread

cabiness42

QUOTE (Knuckles @ Jun 14, 2013 -> 09:05 PM)
Man of Steel review anyone? I skipped on the midnight premiere after reading all these bad reviews, now my friend claims it's a great movie.

Sounds like a love it or hate it movie. Haven't read much in between.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 14, 2013 -> 08:07 PM)
Sounds like a love it or hate it movie. Haven't read much in between.

That's true of most of his stuff.

I really liked Dawn of the Dead and 300 was good entertainment...at least he has an artistic vision.

Even when it fails (like Sucker Punch), he adheres to his faith in himself and doesn't waver in letting movie studios interfere with the final product.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 14, 2013 -> 11:31 AM)
spielberg-lucas_2589743b.jpg

My favorite part about the first article is George Lucas's beard chin. Without the beard, he'd look like Jabba the Hut.

People have been whining about the poor quality of popular cinema and its imminent downfall since motion pictures were first played in a cafe in Paris. I'll believe it when I see it.

I was underwhelmed by Man of Steel, though its climactic battle was epic and worth the price of admission alone. I thought they squandered the chance to make a "realistic" Superman movie by focusing so heavily on his alienage that it veered too much into science fiction, and went so far in the other direction from the "camp" of the Christopher Reeve movies that they made a movie that was ultimately sort of "cold."

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Jun 17, 2013 -> 10:45 AM)
I was underwhelmed by Man of Steel, though its climactic battle was epic and worth the price of admission alone. I thought they squandered the chance to make a "realistic" Superman movie by focusing so heavily on his alienage that it veered too much into science fiction, and went so far in the other direction from the "camp" of the Christopher Reeve movies that they made a movie that was ultimately sort of "cold."

That is what I liked about it. I always disliked the Christopher Reeve movies because of the camp. Like when they had Clark Kent as kinda of the bumbling idiot. I always hated that. Those movies portrayed a 60's type of Superman. Man of Steel is more about the modern Superman.

I also liked the lack of humor.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jun 17, 2013 -> 10:47 AM)
Place Beyond the Pines was a weird movie. Without spoiling it, I'll just say Ryan Gosling does not seem like the main character at all.

There is no main character.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jun 17, 2013 -> 10:47 AM)
Place Beyond the Pines was a weird movie. Without spoiling it, I'll just say Ryan Gosling does not seem like the main character at all.

I loved it. Great storytelling, great visuals (the opening shot alone was superb) and the soundtrack was brilliant (which is no surprise since it was Mike Patton).

QUOTE (Felix @ Jun 17, 2013 -> 11:34 PM)
I loved it. Great storytelling, great visuals (the opening shot alone was superb) and the soundtrack was brilliant (which is no surprise since it was Mike Patton).

I wish I had gone in to it know it was about what the consequences of one man would mean for generations to follow. Instead, I went in to it thinking it was a movie about Ryan Gosling robbing banks to earn money for his new son, and Bradley Cooper's side of the story chasing the bad guy.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jun 18, 2013 -> 01:26 AM)
I wish I had gone in to it know it was about what the consequences of one man would mean for generations to follow. Instead, I went in to it thinking it was a movie about Ryan Gosling robbing banks to earn money for his new son, and Bradley Cooper's side of the story chasing the bad guy.

Easy to get that impression from the trailers. Only way I knew about the strict 3 act structure was because a guy I work with had read the book years ago and informed me.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 18, 2013 -> 05:21 AM)
Easy to get that impression from the trailers. Only way I knew about the strict 3 act structure was because a guy I work with had read the book years ago and informed me.

I haven't seen the movie, but my thoughts going into it would have been exactly as Joe describes. I am now quite a bit less interested in it despite both of those actors being great.

I still need to watch 'Silver Linings Playbook' again. The wife and I adored that movie.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 18, 2013 -> 08:05 AM)
I haven't seen the movie, but my thoughts going into it would have been exactly as Joe describes. I am now quite a bit less interested in it despite both of those actors being great.

I still need to watch 'Silver Linings Playbook' again. The wife and I adored that movie.

I recommend Pines if you have time. The first two acts are really good. The 3rd is sort of slow and less interesting but doesn't ruin the film.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 18, 2013 -> 08:40 AM)
I recommend Pines if you have time. The first two acts are really good. The 3rd is sort of slow and less interesting but doesn't ruin the film.

I'll wait for HBO or Netflix, but then likely check it out. Thanks for the recommend.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jun 17, 2013 -> 09:38 AM)
Man of Steel was brilliant. Christopher Nolan should be in charge of everything DC movie related forever.

Also the score for this movie done by Hans Zimmer was also great.

You seem to be one of the only people who hold this opinion from what i've seen.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 18, 2013 -> 10:35 AM)
You seem to be one of the only people who hold this opinion from what i've seen.

I think Superman was hit or miss with people but judging by the box office I'd say more hit. Personally I enjoyed it more than just about all the Marvel movies besides Iron Man.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 18, 2013 -> 06:34 PM)
Watched ZDT over the weekend, literally fell asleep for a few minutes at one point. Boring movie, there really wasn't a story there.

The final kill sequence was well done, but they didn't execute well anywhere. I felt like it was decent, but given the story, decent was the worst you could do. It was indeed rather boring, usually a film that is so disjointed will at least seem to move quickly...but no.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 18, 2013 -> 05:34 PM)
Watched ZDT over the weekend, literally fell asleep for a few minutes at one point. Boring movie, there really wasn't a story there.

Isn't that a chemical used during the Vietnam Era, lol?

As for the Superman comments, ended up enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would.

Didn't buy the chemistry with Adams/Cavill, but he acquitted himself very well and there's no doubt he will be a part of the next movie. This is kind of like his Tobey Maguire moment after the first Spider Man, and he has a good shot to end up much more successful than Andrew Garfield (just an opinion) career-wise. IMO, they've run a very successful marketing campaign all around the world, although it's not going to end up with the international numbers of F&F, Avengers, Iron Man quite yet. (My biggest complaint would be the endless fighting scenes that destroyed half the planet...seemed to go on about 5-10 minutes too long, but those are in there for the kids/teens mostly, and to utilize the special effects/CGI teams).

Because of the mounting negative reviews, my expectations were lowered a bit, so I found myself enjoying it almost as much as Iron Man 1/3 and Avengers. To me, it was better than Thor and on par with Captain America and X-Men: First Class.

Perhaps having Michael Shannon, Costner, Diane Lane and Crowe in it pushed it a notch above those last two, but Jennifer Lawrence was just beginning to emerge as a future star at the time of the last X-Men.

BTW, saw the Tina Fey/Paul Rudd movie Admission, it was decent, but not great. Didn't find Fey's character likable (hard for her to do) and Rudd was playing the same role he almost always plays, either the do-gooder or sarcastic/witty/acerbic midlife crisis guy.

Next up...The Place Beyond the Pines and Now You See Me.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jun 20, 2013 -> 01:41 PM)
So far World War Z getting pretty good reviews. I thought this movie was going to be a complete disaster, but looks like it could be pretty good.

Yes, I also expected disaster.

I think I'm big screen "zombied-out". I'm loving "The Last of Us", but this movie feels about 3-5 years too late.

Also, I wish it were going to be something like the book.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 19, 2013 -> 11:53 AM)
The final kill sequence was well done, but they didn't execute well anywhere. I felt like it was decent, but given the story, decent was the worst you could do. It was indeed rather boring, usually a film that is so disjointed will at least seem to move quickly...but no.

Man I disagree with both of you guys. Maybe it was due to the fact that I had just watched the HBO documentary about finding Bin Laden like 3 days before, but I found it very cool to see how it all played out. My only complaint was they actually could have added a lot more into the story that they didn't, so the search was difficult to get "in" to. But the movie is all about that final 45 minutes and I thought that was done amazingly well.