2013 Films Thread

cabiness42

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 28, 2013 -> 10:43 AM)
<!--quoteo(post=2773889:date=Mar 27, 2013 -> 06:35 PM:name=KyYlE23)-->
QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 27, 2013 -> 06:35 PM)
<!--quotec-->

They just cannot get this character right on the big screen. What a travesty that film looks like. How hard would it be to give a real run at the Weapon X storyline and re-launch Wolverine properly?

Instead, just more bulls*** characters in bulls*** locations and bulls*** Hollywood storylines where there's 40 years of badass stories to take from the comics. Unbelievable.

Wolverines Japan saga is a pretty significant storyline in his characters history. This isnt a hollywood storyline.

I totally agree about the Weapon X storyline though

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 28, 2013 -> 10:29 AM)
"star known around the world"

"unknown outside of the united states"

there's a lot of territory in between those poles...

even if I threw out the international box office numbers for those movies before Pirates, you would still argue he was a star known around the world...what is that opinion based on? have you lived outside of the US and seen the reaction of foreign audiences to him on a press junket or movie premiere?

Q rating in other countries?

What's a high enough score to demarcate star from superstar, which is what he clearly became after Pirates...

The original premise of the article I quoted about Gosling/Lawrence/Chastain is that he (Depp) is one of the 3 biggest movies stars in the world today, along with Will Smith and Robert Downey, Jr.

Was Robert Downey, Jr., also known all around the world before Iron Man and Sherlock Holmes?

Why do you keep bringing up RDJ? I didnt dispute that, I disputed Depp.

Im done arguing with you, I think you and Cogerson are wrong. There is no real way to quantify it either way.

well, I suppose you could go to your local applebees

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 28, 2013 -> 11:02 AM)
Wolverines Japan saga is a pretty significant storyline in his characters history. This isnt a hollywood storyline.

I totally agree about the Weapon X storyline though

Of course it is - and this looks to be a bloated, ridiculous mutated monster of it. It's way too Hollywood.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 28, 2013 -> 04:02 PM)
Of course it is - and this looks to be a bloated, ridiculous mutated monster of it. It's way too Hollywood.

I will watch it before I decide that. We all killed First Class before it came out and that turned out to be an excellent film

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 28, 2013 -> 04:05 PM)
I will watch it before I decide that. We all killed First Class before it came out and that turned out to be an excellent film

I actually said it looked great and saw it with my wife ASAP and we both loved it and then I made sure to spread the word. That movie actually had the most accurate depiction of Wolverine/Logan yet.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Mar 29, 2013 -> 10:52 AM)
Watched Rock of Ages last night. Not great, but a fun movie.

Julianne Hough was bad, bad, bad in that.

I guess we'll see this weekend with Kim Kardashian in the Tyler Perry movie, who's worse....her, Taylor Swift or Kim.The timing of the comic moments is off, and the film drags and drags before reaching a conclusion anybody can see from a mile off.

Adding the no-talent Kim Kardashian to his sass and semonette formula was a mistake.The quartet of leads is blander-than-bland. The “Temptation” of the title is a come-on and a false promise. How “tempting” can a movie about cheating be with a PG-13 rating? Casting Norwood, a vapid clothes horse Kim Kardashian as a shallow, judgmental colleague in the dating service and Vanessa Williams as the boss of that service suggests that Perry is drawn to women who have been media (and man) victims, from time to time.

But the filmmaker has points to make, about wealth and the allure of the new.

“There’s nothing wrong with being rich and having nice things — so long as the nice things don’t own YOU.”

“We become a lot of different people before we settle into who we are.”

With homilies like that, I expected Perry to get into the talk show/advice game, but Steve Harvey leaped at that. But cranking out two formulaic movies like this a year show the Atlanta mogul’s true ambition — replacing all those soap operas TV is canceling, two hours at a time.Roger Moore-Movie Nation.com

BTW, Wonder what happened to that Hispanic lead singer/co-star from Rock of Ages? Haven't seen him since.

Tom Cruise and Malin Ackerman were cute together. Really liked his over the top performance, reminded me of Frank TJ Mackey in Magnolia.

Olympus Has Fallen...predictable, formulaic, but good summer popcorn movie in spring, at least better than most of Gerard Butler's recent romantic comedy attempts, getting back to his bread and butter

Edited by caulfield12

Just saw Skyfall. Pretty good flick. I didn't know that Q is now some young tech geek who doesn't like cool gadgets. I loved old Q's crazy toys like the laser watch from Goldeneye.

I wish we would have found out how Silver got out of a giant glass box and killed all those guys. It was too easy to just assume he is that good.

Finally got around to seeing Oz The Great and Powerful yesterday. I was very impressed. Great visuals and a pretty good story.

Even though it was a Disney PG film, Sam Raimi tucked in a few Evil Dead-esque scenes with the camera zooming in at the characters and the creeping ground fog. The tornado scene was pretty good, too.

Both my wife and I really enjoyed it, and my kids (11, 10, 8) loved it.

I'm sure we'll see another prequel/sequel/something.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Apr 1, 2013 -> 10:25 AM)
Finally got around to seeing Oz The Great and Powerful yesterday. I was very impressed. Great visuals and a pretty good story.

Even though it was a Disney PG film, Sam Raimi tucked in a few Evil Dead-esque scenes with the camera zooming in at the characters and the creeping ground fog. The tornado scene was pretty good, too.

Both my wife and I really enjoyed it, and my kids (11, 10, 8) loved it.

I'm sure we'll see another prequel/sequel/something.

I thought it was decent, but for comparisons sake, Wicked was 10 times better, just on the writing alone.

QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 29, 2013 -> 10:59 AM)
It was meh. Bet it just works better as a stage musical.

Saw the musical last week. It was fantastic...and different than the movie.

Also, I'm agreeing on the Wolverine trailer with Steve.

I wish Marvel Studios could just buy back all of its characters.

Killing Them Softly

This movie tried way too hard. It was violent (good) overstylized (bad) and filled with a lot of long boring conversations (bad). The last five minutes is just Brad Pitt b****ing about Barack Obama, and ruined what otherwise would have been a B- movie for me.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 2, 2013 -> 11:43 AM)
Killing Them Softly

This movie tried way too hard. It was violent (good) overstylized (bad) and filled with a lot of long boring conversations (bad). The last five minutes is just Brad Pitt b****ing about Barack Obama, and ruined what otherwise would have been a B- movie for me.

Been eyeing it up on Redbox. Our opinion seems to be the consensus.