2013 Films Thread

cabiness42

I have questions about the rebooted "Star Trek" universe:

How can Pike have died in the new movie when he survived through "The Menagerie" in TOS? Did the time travel in the first new movie reset everything? If that's the case, how is "old Spock" able to share his experience and knowledge re Khan? Are the new movies parallel or alternate realities to TOS and its movie sequels? Am I a huge loser geek for even wondering?

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ May 27, 2013 -> 09:48 AM)
I have questions about the rebooted "Star Trek" universe:

How can Pike have died in the new movie when he survived through "The Menagerie" in TOS? Did the time travel in the first new movie reset everything? If that's the case, how is "old Spock" able to share his experience and knowledge re Khan? Are the new movies parallel or alternate realities to TOS and its movie sequels? Am I a huge loser geek for even wondering?

Did you not watch the 2009 reboot?

The alternate timeline was formed in the 2009 movie due to Spock and Nero coming back in time. The timeline split on the day of Kirk's birth when the USS Kelvin was destroyed. From that moment on, history was rewritten. That would be at least 10 years before Pike took command of the enterprise in the classic timeline. In the alternate timeline there was a severe redesign of ships following the attack on the Kelvin, leading to a much larger Enterprise which probably also took extra time to construct.

Effectively they are playing it out as 2 parallel timelines, with Spock prime being the only person who has crossed over and survived. Spock Prime lived most of his lifetime in the original timeline, was thrown back in time in Star Trek (2009), and will finish his days in the alternate timeline.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 27, 2013 -> 09:12 AM)
Did you not watch the 2009 reboot?

The alternate timeline was formed in the 2009 movie due to Spock and Nero coming back in time. The timeline split on the day of Kirk's birth when the USS Kelvin was destroyed. From that moment on, history was rewritten. That would be at least 10 years before Pike took command of the enterprise in the classic timeline. In the alternate timeline there was a severe redesign of ships following the attack on the Kelvin, leading to a much larger Enterprise which probably also took extra time to construct.

Effectively they are playing it out as 2 parallel timelines, with Spock prime being the only person who has crossed over and survived. Spock Prime lived most of his lifetime in the original timeline, was thrown back in time in Star Trek (2009), and will finish his days in the alternate timeline.

Thanks (I almost posed those questions to you in a PM, without exposing my ignorance to the board).

Yeah, like I wrote in reference to the "time travel", I did see it, but it apparently didn't leave that lasting an impression on me. I remembered there were differences with the demise of Kirk Sr. and the meeting of the old and new Spocks, but I guess I should have rewatched it or studied up, to make sure I understood all the implications.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ May 27, 2013 -> 08:32 AM)
Thanks (I almost posed those questions to you in a PM, without exposing my ignorance to the board).

Yeah, like I wrote in reference to the "time travel", I did see it, but it apparently didn't leave that lasting an impression on me. I remembered there were differences with the demise of Kirk Sr. and the meeting of the old and new Spocks, but I guess I should have rewatched it or studied up, to make sure I understood all the implications.

And I thought Oblivion was a stretch, lol...

No wonder I never got into the whole Star Trek universe, it's like a Christopher Nolan movie on speed following the various plotlines.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 27, 2013 -> 10:36 AM)
And I thought Oblivion was a stretch, lol...

No wonder I never got into the whole Star Trek universe, it's like a Christopher Nolan movie on speed following the various plotlines.

There are more than 500 hours of produced TV and film Star Trek. In that amount of time, you build a lot of detail to the universes.

QUOTE (knightni @ May 27, 2013 -> 10:38 AM)
WHY?

:ph34r:

Is that like the Human Centipede?

Zombie movie?

Has anyone seen MUD, by the way?

Am going to watch Better Luck Tomorrow, the Justin Lim (director of two Fast & the Furious movies, including the recent one), flick from about a decade ago which stars Sun Kang (the Korean star who emerged in the last 2 F&F movies with Giselle, the Israeli/Mossad gal-pal).

yahoomovies.com

Universal's "Fast & Furious" franchise has been a hit for more than a decade, but Latino moviegoers are steering it into the blockbuster fast lane.

The latest entry, "Fast & Furious 6," roared to $120 million over the past four days and has been the driving force behind the biggest Memorial Day weekend ever at the domestic box office. Latinos made up 32 percent of its audience, as they did for the previous entry in Universal's muscle car franchise "Fast Five," and this film is now on track to pass that one as the highest-grossing in the series.

"It's not just Hispanics, it's the diversity in general that helped this movie become so popular," Universal's distribution chief Nikki Rocco told TheWrap Monday, and the numbers bear that out. White moviegoers made up 29 percent of the audience, while African-Americans were 22 percent and Asians were 13 percent.

Vin Diesel, Dwayne Johnson and their pals easily outdistanced the weekend's No. 2 film, "The Hangover Part III." The finale in the raunchy R-rated comedy franchise will finish the four days with around $51 million, and has run up $63 million for Warner Bros. and Legendary Pictures since opening Thursday. Last week's No. 1 film, Paramount's and Skydance Production's "Star Trek Into Darkness," was third with nearly $47 million for the long weekend. That topped the weekend's other wide opener, Fox's animated "Epic," which brought in $41 million.

The connection of "Fast & Furious 6" with Latino audiences is no accident. With stars like Michelle Rodriguez, and a healthy amount of Spanish dialog, Universal went out of its way to court them.

In its marketing, the studio made a point of emphasizing elements that set it apart from summer blockbusters headlined by white males, namely a cast that included Asian, African-American and Latino actors like Rodriguez, Chris "Ludacris" Bridges, and Sung Kang.

"We're the Benetton of casting," Jeffrey Kirschenbaum, Universal Pictures co-president of production, told TheWrap prior to the film's opening. The result is a cast that looks like many of today's moviegoers -- social media savvy, ethnic and frequently bilingual.

Broadening the base via the multicultural casting is a strategy that translates abroad as well. The effects really began began to kick in with "Fast Five," which was set in Rio and drew more than $632 million worldwide, nearly $270 million more than what the next highest grossing film in the franchise had netted. Internationally the film continued to pick up steam, more than doubling the previous high-water mark for foreign grosses on a "Fast" film.

"Fast & Furious 6" could be even bigger overseas. It opened No. 1 in 59 foreign markets and took in roughly $160 million abroad this weekend, giving it a global total of $300 million, the studio's best-ever worldwide opening. At $13 million, Mexico was the second-highest grossing market, behind only Russia with $17.8 million.

The increasing clout of Latino movie audiences -- who go to movies more than any other ethnic group -- is a growing reality for Hollywood. Latinos represent just 17 percent of the U.S. population, yet accounted for 26 percent of domestic ticket sales in 2012, according a study by the Motion Picture Association of America.

Universal has scored by targeting Latino audiences before. Director Guillermo del Toro's horror film "Mama" surprised with $32 million over the four-day Martin Luther King Jr. earlier this year and Latino moviegoers made up 47 percent of the audience.

Edited by caulfield12

1.) Wedding Crashers was on TV today. Even with them having to cut so much and change words so much, I get a kick out of that movie. Do you guys agree the uncut Wedding Crashers is damn funny?

2. The Internship looks horrible, like a commercial for Google. Do you agree?

3.) Hangover III, yay or nay? I am considering going this week. Does it suck? I saw somebody on here said it's 'not as bad as everybody says.' That's not a glowing recommendation to spend 10 bucks.

4.) As far as Grownups, I thought it was horrific. Is there truly a sequel? I almost walked out of it because it was so boring and unfunny IMO at least.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 27, 2013 -> 11:06 PM)
1.) Wedding Crashers was on TV today. Even with them having to cut so much and change words so much, I get a kick out of that movie. Do you guys agree the uncut Wedding Crashers is damn funny?

I like WC up until it gets melodramatic and cheesy. Than it gets boring.

2. The Internship looks horrible, like a commercial for Google. Do you agree?

The trailer cracks me up. Just hope those aren't the only funny parts in the movie. Vaughn and Wilson have good comedic chemistry so I'm looking forward to it.

3.) Hangover III, yay or nay? I am considering going this week. Does it suck? I saw somebody on here said it's 'not as bad as everybody says.' That's not a glowing recommendation to spend 10 bucks.

It's better than 2, not as good as 1. If you like the 3 guys on screen together, go see it. I thought it was fun. Not really that much of a comedy as the others though. It's subjective.

Knocked two more off my list this weekend:

Zero Dark Thirty - pretty good for 3/4 and then amazing the last 1/4 (the raid). Chastain was fine. Not sure I get the hype for her performance. She just played a super-intense/driven character.

Silver Linings Playbook - enjoyed it, didn't care for the cute ending. I thought Cooper and Lawrence were awesome though. Lawrence's Oscar was much deserved and unfortunately Cooper was up against DDL, otherwise he should have won.

http://popwatch.ew.com/2013/05/29/fast-furious-statham-sean/

Thought this article was pretty funny....suggesting new faces for Fast & the Furious 7...comparing Moneyball/Billy Beane with the casting changes which have made the series so popular.

I went back and watched FF3 (Tokyo Drift) and it's really not that bad of a movie, except for Lucas Black's accent, which even kind of grows on you.

Forgot how cute the main actress (Nathalie Kelley) was. She's half Peruvian, half-Argentinian and has basically disappeared since then.

So they're going to have to bring back Devon Aoki (2F2F) and introduce Sora Aoi/Sarasa Hara as "hot girls" for this new one in Tokyo.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 30, 2013 -> 09:01 AM)
M Knight should just stick to writing and let other people handle filming. Devil was actually pretty good

Really? I thought the opposite. But this After Earth is a test of that, and so far it looks like I'm wrong, LOL.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 30, 2013 -> 01:41 PM)
Really? I thought the opposite. But this After Earth is a test of that, and so far it looks like I'm wrong, LOL.

Will Smith needs to stop thinking these apocalyptic movies or anything with M. Night are good career moves.

He's gone from the most popular/charismatic actor in America to a question mark.

So many disappointments...I Am Legend, Hancock, MIB 3 was decent, Seven Pounds, this one. Pursuit of Happyness was his last good one a full 7 years ago.

Bad Boys 3 and Hancock 2?

Really?

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 30, 2013 -> 03:10 PM)
Will Smith needs to stop thinking these apocalyptic movies or anything with M. Night are good career moves.

He's gone from the most popular/charismatic actor in America to a question mark.

So many disappointments...I Am Legend, Hancock, MIB 3 was decent, Seven Pounds, this one. Pursuit of Happyness was his last good one a full 7 years ago.

Bad Boys 3 and Hancock 2?

Really?

I Am Legend was OK, until the lame ending. I liked Hancock, and MIB 3, and Seven Pounds. The only bad movies I see in your list is Bad Boys (insert any number).

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 30, 2013 -> 02:43 PM)
I Am Legend was OK, until the lame ending. I liked Hancock, and MIB 3, and Seven Pounds. The only bad movies I see in your list is Bad Boys (insert any number).

Give me a more imaginative movie like Chronicle anytime over Hancock.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 30, 2013 -> 02:43 PM)

Give me a more imaginative movie like Chronicle anytime over Hancock.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 30, 2013 -> 10:09 PM)
I Am Legend was great. What was wrong with the ending? That scene with the dog almost had me bawling.

It's a cliche Hollywood ending. Will Smith finds the cure and makes a noble sacrifice. Monsters lose.

The real ending to the story (which was the alternate ending for the movie) is

Will Smith realizes that the "bad guys" aren't monsters; they're just (sick) people trying to survive. And by going around killing them and kidnapping them and experimenting on them, he's become like a Legendary monster in their eyes.

Meh, it was cliche, i'll give you that, but the movie was griping throughout and highly entertaining. The entire time you're thinking "oh s***, what's going to happen next." Very few movies rope you in like that. Sometimes cliche can be tacky, I don't think that's the case with that movie.

Edit: how was the ending any different from other superheroy type movies like Batman, the Avengers, Iron Man, etc. At the end of the day the good guy wins, but so what? The journey to get there was still great.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 30, 2013 -> 04:34 PM)
Meh, it was cliche, i'll give you that, but the movie was griping throughout and highly entertaining. The entire time you're thinking "oh s***, what's going to happen next." Very few movies rope you in like that. Sometimes cliche can be tacky, I don't think that's the case with that movie.

There was no reason for him to make that sacrifice. He could have escaped. That is why it was silly, to me.