2013 Films Thread

cabiness42

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oscar nominations come out today. Sue me, I like it.

Hope Looper, Perks of Being a Wallflower, Bradley Cooper, Denzel, and Beasts/Southern Wild get nods somehow.

Gonna see Zero Dark Thirty tomorrow and hopefully Amour next week if I have time.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 10, 2013 -> 04:25 PM)
Wow, I don't realize that Silver Linings Playbook was so highly acclaimed.

It's amusing that they announce the nominees at 5 AM local time in LA.

I haven't seen it, but I've loved every David O Russel movie. I'm sure it's probably pretty good even if it's his weakest.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 10, 2013 -> 07:10 AM)
Oscar nominations come out today. Sue me, I like it.

Hope Looper, Perks of Being a Wallflower, Bradley Cooper, Denzel, and Beasts/Southern Wild get nods somehow.

Gonna see Zero Dark Thirty tomorrow and hopefully Amour next week if I have time.

Looper didn't get anything... i thought at least original screenplay

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 10, 2013 -> 10:51 AM)
I haven't seen it, but I've loved every David O Russel movie. I'm sure it's probably pretty good even if it's his weakest.

I loved Silver Linings Playbook.

Great that BEASTS OF THE SOUTHERN WILD got so much recognition.

Oscar thoughts:

I'll finally see ZERO DARK THIRTY tomorrow but how is that nominated for Best Picture and the favorite without Biglow getting nominated. No director nod for Affleck?

Thought Perks of Being a Wallflower could have gotten an adapted screenplay nod.

I don't want Lewis to win best actor. I want someone paying an original character to win. I'm sure Lewis is great but I just want Denzel or Cooper to win.

John Hawkes should have been nominated.

Out of best pic noms, I'm pulling for Playbook or PI.

Life of Pi, Lincoln and Zero Dark Thirty have to be the 3 favorites.

Still have to see Amour, Les Miz, Silver Linings, The Master, The Sessions, The Impossible and Anna Karenina (most consider that film to be quite disappointing).

Am also going to check out some of the documentaries (The Gatekeepersa, How to Survive a Plague, The Invisible War) and as many of the foreign films as I can find.

A Separation, from last year, that's actually one of the movies that are on the list for our high school's IB Film final presentations.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 10, 2013 -> 11:04 AM)
Oscar thoughts:

John Hawkes should have been nominated.

Ever since I heard of The Sessions plot synopsis I thought it had a great chance of getting a lead actor nomination. Kinda shocked, as the Academy generally loves that sort of thing.

Edited by qwerty

QUOTE (qwerty @ Jan 10, 2013 -> 10:53 PM)
Ever since I heard of The Sessions plot synopsis I thought it had a great chance of getting the lead actor nominate. Kinda shocked, as the Academy generally loves that sort of thing.

They went the "stripper/sexual service" route with Helen Hunt, lol.

Any formerly A-list actress who later in life finds a meaty role that requires shedding her clothes for art, such as Marisa Tomei in The Wrestler.

I think I'm the only one who finds Silver Linings Playbook overrated. Yes, better than your average romantic dramedy, but nominations in every major category? Jesus. And it's not just the Oscars, everyone I've talked to is in love with it.

Django has no chance and it's no surprise Tarantino didn't get a look as Best Director. Waltz should get Supporting Actor and QT has a shot at original screenplay. In the end, though, the Academy hates the type of s*** that QT makes. This isn't so much something the Academy does but most establishment awards organizations around the world. The guy who clearly has a massive amount of directorial and artistic talent and has the following to show for it but doesn't make "serious" films...no Best Picture, no Best Director for you.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jan 11, 2013 -> 10:35 PM)
Django has no chance and it's no surprise Tarantino didn't get a look as Best Director. Waltz should get Supporting Actor and QT has a shot at original screenplay. In the end, though, the Academy hates the type of s*** that QT makes. This isn't so much something the Academy does but most establishment awards organizations around the world. The guy who clearly has a massive amount of directorial and artistic talent and has the following to show for it but doesn't make "serious" films...no Best Picture, no Best Director for you.

I don't think history quite agrees with you.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jan 11, 2013 -> 04:35 PM)

Pulp Fiction is the only thing he's done that is worthy.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jan 11, 2013 -> 03:30 PM)
Pulp Fiction is the only thing he's done that is worthy.

Yes, he's an awful director.

RT scores:

Reservoir Dogs 92%

Pulp Fiction 95%

Django Unchained 89%

Inglorious Basterds 88%

Jackie Brown 86%

Kill Bill Vol1 85%

Kill Bill Vol2 84%

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 11, 2013 -> 05:42 PM)
Yes, he's an awful director.

RT scores:

Reservoir Dogs 92%

Pulp Fiction 95%

Django Unchained 89%

Inglorious Basterds 88%

Jackie Brown 86%

Kill Bill Vol1 85%

Kill Bill Vol2 84%

This. I understand Tarantino is not for e erroneous but to say PF is his only worthy work is ridiculous.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 11, 2013 -> 11:05 AM)
Life of Pi is the type of oscar favorite that makes people hate the oscars.

I would think it's movies like The Reader, The Artist or The English Patient.....moreso than a redemption/survival story like the Life of Pi that is pretty much what modern cinema is all about now, taking a great book and figuring out a way to get butts in the seat with great cinematography and 3D/visuals. It's the type of story that is accessible to all ages and all intelligence levels, and has a universal appeal around the world. That said, it's not a GREAT movie, but a very good one.

You have to give them credit, adding some additional movies (District 9 comes to mind right off the bat) makes for more intrigue.

However, Life of Pi is a pretty big longshot after Lincoln and Zero Dark Thirty at this point.

Saw Zero Dark Thirty tonight. Not real impressed. It was worth seeing, but honestly I'm surprised it has gotten the nom for Best Picture. I can't exactly put it the way I want to...but I feel like they did the least with that storyline that they possibly could have. Lead actress did well, but I'm overall just kind of "meh" about it. I'm going to see Lincoln tomorrow evening and Les Mis shortly, and then I'll be able to have a fuller opinion on the Best Picture. Django is the leader in the clubhouse by a mile right now, though. Not sure what the Academy will like, but I have a feeling it will be Lincoln before even seeing it.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jan 12, 2013 -> 11:15 PM)
Saw Zero Dark Thirty tonight. Not real impressed. It was worth seeing, but honestly I'm surprised it has gotten the nom for Best Picture. I can't exactly put it the way I want to...but I feel like they did the least with that storyline that they possibly could have. Lead actress did well, but I'm overall just kind of "meh" about it. I'm going to see Lincoln tomorrow evening and Les Mis shortly, and then I'll be able to have a fuller opinion on the Best Picture. Django is the leader in the clubhouse by a mile right now, though. Not sure what the Academy will like, but I have a feeling it will be Lincoln before even seeing it.

I felt the same way about Zero Dark Thirty.