2013 Films Thread

cabiness42

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 25, 2013 -> 07:37 PM)
Damn. The End of the World was pretty damn amazing. I enjoyed it. It was so different.

It was very clever and so "insider Hollywoodish," like a cross between Entourage and The Player with a disaster movie like 2012/The Day After Tomorrow thrown in for dramatic effect.

I'm sure they had a TON of fun making that one, especially Michael Cera.

Credit to James Franco for being able to make fun of himself.

It was also a bit like Grown Ups, I Love You, Man, Horrible Bosses or the Hot Tub Time Machine, buddy/bonding picture.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 26, 2013 -> 03:51 AM)
It was very clever and so "insider Hollywoodish," like a cross between Entourage and The Player with a disaster movie like 2012/The Day After Tomorrow thrown in for dramatic effect.

I'm sure they had a TON of fun making that one, especially Michael Cera.

Credit to James Franco for being able to make fun of himself.

It was also a bit like Grown Ups, I Love You, Man, Horrible Bosses or the Hot Tub Time Machine, buddy/bonding picture.

I loved Horrible Bosses but I didn't get Grown Ups. I thought it was really dull. I did laugh at some of the lines in the trainer for Grown Ups II.

Enjoyed The Great Gatsby and Luhrmann's interpretation (not sure about the Jay Z soundtrack), but still favor the Redford version we watched back in high school.

Can't decide if Jordan Baker looks better as a blonde or brunette. She did a good job of masking her Australian accent.

http://www.google.com/search?q=elizabeth+d...i=_&imgrc=_

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 28, 2013 -> 05:17 PM)
White House Down was quite a bit better than Olympus Has Fallen.

Perfect summer popcorn movie. Quite a bit of competition this weekend at the box office. WHD has a good chance of finishing 3rd behind The Heat and Monsters University.

Roeper, who is usually easy going on everything, even gave it an F.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 28, 2013 -> 04:37 PM)
Roeper, who is usually easy going on everything, even gave it an F.

Then he's 100% going by his Sundance/Cannes/Oscar lens, because it's a summer popcorn movie...it's not doing badly at all at RT.com, overall.

Emmerich is what he is, another version of Michael Bay. Independence Day, The Day After Tomorrow, 2012, etc.

I find it hard to believe that someone's watched all three of those aforementioned movies and not found SOMETHING enjoyable about them, once again, not comparing them to Lincoln, Life of Pi and Silver Linings Playbook or even World War Z.

From their "top critics" category, 19 positives and 16 negatives. Overall, 50 thumbs up, 50 thumbs down.

“An exciting and sincere action thriller … the 2013 summer blockbuster most likely to sill be interesting in 2014. Four stars” — Mick LaSalle, critic for the Friday mySA section (aka the ex-Weekender), who writes for the San Francisco Chronicle.

“Everyone is an idiot, clinically insane, a cliché, or a vehicle for shameless exploitation…. (director) Roland Emmerich constantly insults our intelligence with jingoistic manipulation and cheesy one-liners. Zero stars” — Richard Roeper, who succeeded Roger Ebert as Universal Press Syndicate critic.

Of course, they’re talking about the same movie: “White House Down,” the year’s second president-in danger movie (after “Olympus Has Fallen”).

Critics disagree all the time, sometimes wildly and violently. But I rarely bump into a zero-star review of the same movie right after I’ve read a glowing, four-star review.

And,as you can see in his review, Roeper hates “White House Down” for many of the same reasons that LaSalle loves it — it’s big, noisy, over the top and knows what it wants to be. Which is no surprise coming from the director of “Independence Day,” who took the president (Bill Pullman) out of the Oval Office and put him in a fighter jet attacking an alien spacecraft.

Not surprisingly, the Rotten Tomatoes consensus (it has a middling 46 Tomatometer score) adopts portions of both critics’ arguments:

” ‘White House Down’ benefits from Channing Tatum and Jamie Foxx’s sharp comedic chemistry, but director Roland Emmerich smothers it with narrative clichés and relentless, choppily edited action.”

from Sanantonioexpress.com

Edited by caulfield12

The Heat was actually really clever and quite funny in many places...definitely worth watching, kind of the opposite of the Wahlberg/Will Ferrell one (The Other Guys), but with a much more biting sense of humor and crassness about it.

And Sandra Bullock still is America's sweetheart.

Saw previews for a couple of movies that look worth checking out, The Wolf of Wall Street (Scorsese, with DiCaprio and McConaughey) as well as Runner, Runner with Justin Timberlake and Ben Affleck.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 29, 2013 -> 01:58 PM)
The Heat was actually really clever and quite funny in many places...definitely worth watching, kind of the opposite of the Wahlberg/Will Ferrell one (The Other Guys), but with a much more biting sense of humor and crassness about it.

And Sandra Bullock still is America's sweetheart.

Saw previews for a couple of movies that look worth checking out, The Wolf of Wall Street (Scorsese, with DiCaprio and McConaughey) as well as Runner, Runner with Justin Timberlake and Ben Affleck.

That Runner, Runner trailer looked awful to me. Read Wolf of WallStreet. It's perfect for Scorsese. Can't wait.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 29, 2013 -> 01:02 PM)
That Runner, Runner trailer looked awful to me. Read Wolf of WallStreet. It's perfect for Scorsese. Can't wait.

Any time Ben Affleck plays the villain, it has potential.

But yeah, I'm getting a little tired of Justin Timberlake.

www.ew.com/movies

Many forces have converged to make this the best possible weekend for The Heat, the new buddy cop comedy starring two of Hollywood’s most game and charming actors, Sandra Bullock and Melissa McCarthy. There’s a record-setting swelter across much of the country that ups the draw of some easy laughs with good company in an air-conditioned theater. The hunger of a female movie-going public that’s endured a long June of capes and bro jokes. And I’d add to this list Tuesday’s barn burner thrill ride of watching/tweeting about/bowing down before Texas Senator Wendy Davis, who stood for 13 hours in protest of a bill she believed would dangerously undercut women’s health. Politics aside, it was a bravura performance of a fiercely capable and passionate woman having her most important day at the office ever. Women want to see women on screen they recognize and sometimes aspire to be. And that’s part of why it was so fun last night to watch Bullock and McCarthy, both operating in top form, bring it.

It’s great news that The Heat is going to make a ton of money. (Friday’s box office estimates has the Paul Feig-directed film bringing in $13.6 million, nearly $5 million ahead of the new Channing Tatum/Jamie Foxx sweaty action movie White House Down.) Great news for everybody involved. Though I worry how much we, the moviegoing public will benefit from the success. I dread the same game-changer stories on Monday about the surprise power of female dollars at the box office. The problem is it’s always the same “surprise”–the unexpected success of Something’s Gotta Give or Sex & the City or Bridesmaids or Magic Mike or Pitch Perfect. But the game seems to remain the same because then there follows the same unacceptably long slog in between movies for women to rally around.

So for those of us without the power of green-lighting movies, what can be done? Here are a few ideas:

What if we stopped always comparing movies that star funny women to Bridesmaids? Granted, that movie is near perfect and should be considered one of the gold standards for modern comedies. But you never hear anyone saying “I don’t know, the Internship was okay, but it was no Bridesmaids.” I remember a particularly infuriating line from Leonard Maltin’s review of the underrated Anna Faris comedy What’s Your Number?: “As someone who—swimming against the tide—didn’t care for Bridesmaids, imagine my surprise to find another female-driven, female-written R-rated comedy so entertaining.” So he didn’t like that one movie by and about women but then he did kinda like another movie by and about women? The Heat is a really funny movie that might not be as pristine as Bridesmaids and that’s okay. Bridesmaids can’t always be the point of reference for films starring women, even when that film is made by the same director. Not every one of Judd Apatow’s movies is as good as The 40-Year-Old Virgin. That doesn’t mean Hollywood suddenly gets nervous about putting a male lead in an R-rated comedy.

Some guys swear in movies and revel in gags about farts or sex or whatever. Some women likewise embrace the raunch. It’s time to stop thinking that if a woman makes a joke about someone’s mouse balls she’s trying to act like a man or that the screenwriter is trying to go toe-to-toe with the guys. Women can be crude and in-your-face—it’s called choice, friends! Though I’m not yet sure anyone—man or woman—is as genius at it as Melissa McCarthy. (And one of the reasons her fits of gutter oratory are such a pleasure to behold is that behind every foul blast that comes out of her mouth there is also the sense of deep vulnerability and goodness.)

Treat the material seriously. Mondo released this amazing poster for The Heat last week, nailing the best essence of the movie. What it succeeds in doing is gleefully, reverently selling The Heat as a genre movie that happens to star a couple of bad-ass broads as opposed to pushing a soft sell of two ladies who have oopsy daisy found themselves in a movie with guns and perps. I love a chick flick as much as the next gal. But that doesn’t make me a lightweight or a dum dum and I don’t want to be treated like one by a marketing campaign.

Finally, surely we can rally some smart person in Hollywood to get to work immediately on a movie about Texas Senator Wendy Davis starring Connie Britton. Y’all, seriously.

Edited by caulfield12

THE Lone Ranger and Despicable Me 2 getting pummeled by the critics.

Maybe will have to check out "Now You See Me" instead, kind of a stealth hit that's lasted quite awhile in the theaters without much buzz.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1587188/

Try as hard as I could not to do so, I actually liked The Internship...in its predictable, formulaic way, it was pretty funny.

Not anything close to Wedding Crashers or Old School, which is an impossible bar to jump over, but decent and predictable, like Raisin Bran Crunch or Wonder Bread.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 06:46 PM)
THE Lone Ranger and Despicable Me 2 getting pummeled by the critics.

Maybe will have to check out "Now You See Me" instead, kind of a stealth hit that's lasted quite awhile in the theaters without much buzz.

DM2 has 76% on RT. I didnt care for the first though.

Guess ill finally see Man of Steel tomorrow.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 28, 2013 -> 04:44 PM)
Emmerich is what he is, another version of Michael Bay. Independence Day, The Day After Tomorrow, 2012, etc.

I find it hard to believe that someone's watched all three of those aforementioned movies and not found SOMETHING enjoyable about them, once again, not comparing them to Lincoln, Life of Pi and Silver Linings Playbook or even World War Z.

Three of the worst and stupidest movies I've ever seen. 2012 was easily the worst of the worse. I guess I'm one who can honestly say I found NOTHING enjoyable about them, unless you count So Bad It's (sort of) Funny. No way I'm watching White House Down.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 07:07 AM)
I have read a few DM2 reviews that said it is a good movie, not as good as the first, but still fun. I have yet to read any reviews that destroyed it

Destroyed perhaps isn't the right adjective. Just disappointed and let down, as the first one was so clever, especially the interplay with the girls and GRU as the movie wore on...it was totally different approach that had never been done in quite that same way before (and yes, Megamind kind of was a copy of that concept).

So it would be more fair to put it under that same category as Cars 2 and Kung Fu Panda 2, not box offices failures or financial disasters (like the Lone Ranger movie will likely be)...but critical/creative disappointments.

Gru, the bald and beetle-browed rascal hero of Despicable Me 2, is an infectious imp — as voiced by Steve Carell, he’s like Uncle Fester with the personality of Nikita Khrushchev. But in the first Despicable Me (2010), he was a supervillain with a grand plan (he wanted to steal the moon), and in the surprisingly toothless sequel, he has been neutered into a boring nice guy. The co-directors, Pierre Coffin and Chris Renaud, create a seductively tactile computer-animated landscape in which gentle slapstick rules the day. For some reason, though, they have mostly left out the flashes of egomaniacal dastardliness that even a movie for kids can thrive on (e.g., the far superior Will Ferrell animation Megamind). Kristen Wiig voices Lucy, the Anti-Villain League agent who has a crush on Gru and recruits him to be a spy. You keep waiting for Wiig to display some of her flaked-out inspiration, but she, too, has been given almost nothing to play but sweetness and light. The best thing in the movie is the army of chattery yellow minions who are injected with a serum that transforms them into gnashing purple beasties. By the end, every child in the audience will want his or her own monster-minion toy. Adults will just regret the way that Despicable Me 2 betrays the original film’s devotion to bad-guy gaiety. C

www.ew.com