2013 Films Thread

cabiness42

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 8, 2013 -> 12:11 AM)
Yes, it was a big "free for all" ending in Moscow, a super battle to end all zombie battles that they decided took away Pitt's "humanity" and made you not really care one way or the other about how all the major characters ended up or if another sequel was coming down the pike.

If you noticed, they were flying on Belarusian Airlines, it would make zero sense for them to have a route from Israel to England...not for a regional carrier, they would have been going to Russia/Moscow/Belarus much more logically.

I still don't get why they fought so hard for the rights to World War Z and then made a movie that had maybe a total of 30 seconds to do with the book. I wasn't expecting a retrospective like the book or to cover all of or even any of the characters, but the entire plot was thrown out. They could have followed the outbreak and panic from a different perspective than what was given in the book while still adhering to the same overall story world. Instead we get that ridiculous magic virus camouflage crap.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

PACIFIC RIM poised to be the breakout hit of the 2nd half of summer movie-going season.

33 positive reviews, only 7 negs, amazing for a big budget summer popcorn flick.

Guillermo Del Toro's "Pacific Rim" is as clear and celebratory an expression of what film at its most creative, earnest, and exuberant can achieve as any in recent memory, and one of the very best films of 2013.

The negative reviews I have read are pretty lame, expecting some great story and complaining about the fights in the rain at night. It's a monster fight mech movie, that's all you need to know. If you don't like that kind of movie, go review something at Cannes

Pacific Rim has two of the best performers most people have never heard of (until now)...and not really featured prominently in the trailer.

Jax Teller (Sons of Anarchy)/Charlie Hunman and the Japanese actress who stole BABEL away from Brad Pitt and got an Academy Award nomination in the process.

Picture predicted to be a massive failure in the line of Lone Range/John Carter/Battleship...despite the great reviews. (I actually think word of mouth will prevail and it will make back its money, especially in Asian markets, but the lack of a bookable headline star with such an expensive movie hasn't been seen since Sam Worthington in Avatar)

http://variety.com/2013/film/box-office/pa...ing-1200560676/

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Knuckles @ Jul 10, 2013 -> 09:21 PM)
I have no interest in Pacific Rim simply because I'm tired of the high budged, special effects movies as of late.

Give us something of substance.

The Lone Ranger, White House Down, Oblivion and After Earth would tend to agree with you...with only World War Z barely breaking through well enough to launch a sequel.

But if you've watched Pan's Labyrinth, you'll have reason enough to understand why this director is worth checking out...to me, he's much more talented than Zach Snyder, Michael Bay, Emmerich, etc.

Despicable Me 2 was disappointing, and Grown-Ups 2 hasn't even been released to critics.

AND NOW WE KNOW WHY.

Critic Reviews for Grown Ups 2

All Critics (7) | Top Critics (3) | My Critics | Fresh (0) | Rotten (7)

Yes, it's time for another visit to the Adam Sandler Death-of-Cinema Fun Factory, the big-screen version of a terrible sitcom where laugh tracks are replaced by the co-stars chuckling at their own awful material.

Throughout, gags are cartoonishly broad and afforded so little time for setup and delivery we seem to be watching less a story than a catalog of tossed-out material.

A phoned-in ode to lazy comedy and staggering stupidity.

Almost aggressively more of the same. If you hated the last one, you'll be in misery all over again. If you took to the predecessor, you'll find this one a fitting continuation.

The most horrifying depiction of inhuman behavior since That's My Boy. Or maybe Jack & Jill. Or maybe Blue Velvet.

Another lowbrow make-work project for Sandler's jock cronies, SNL has-been hangers-on and Dan Patrick.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 11, 2013 -> 01:54 AM)
The Lone Ranger, White House Down, Oblivion and After Earth would tend to agree with you...with only World War Z barely breaking through well enough to launch a sequel.

But if you've watched Pan's Labyrinth, you'll have reason enough to understand why this director is worth checking out...to me, he's much more talented than Zach Snyder, Michael Bay, Emmerich, etc.

Despicable Me 2 was disappointing, and Grown-Ups 2 hasn't even been released to critics.

AND NOW WE KNOW WHY.

Yes, it's time for another visit to the Adam Sandler Death-of-Cinema Fun Factory, the big-screen version of a terrible sitcom where laugh tracks are replaced by the co-stars chuckling at their own awful material.

Throughout, gags are cartoonishly broad and afforded so little time for setup and delivery we seem to be watching less a story than a catalog of tossed-out material.

Almost aggressively more of the same. If you hated the last one, you'll be in misery all over again. If you took to the predecessor, you'll find this one a fitting continuation.

The most horrifying depiction of inhuman behavior since That's My Boy. Or maybe Jack & Jill. Or maybe Blue Velvet.

Another lowbrow make-work project for Sandler's jock cronies, SNL has-been hangers-on and Dan Patrick.

Anyone who pays to see that movie shouldn't be allowed to breed.

PACIFIC RIM IS AWESOME.

Loved it.

Saw in 3D/IMAX.

It's a combination of the best Godzilla movies, Real Steel and The Iron Giant. That's all I'm going to say.

1. Pacific Rim – $52 million

Look, people. I know that tracking for this $190 million Guillermo del Toro-directed tentpole has been woefully weak — down in the $25 million to $35 million range. I know Warner Bros. has repeatedly said it only expects $30 million for it this weekend. I know that everyone on the Internet has already declared Pacific Rim a bomb. But I just don’t believe it. Fandango reports that over 60 percent of daily sales are for Pacific Rim and that the film is outselling World War Z, which opened with $66.4 million, at the same point in its pre-release cycle. Of course, Pacific Rim‘s core demographic of male geeks is exactly the type that would purchase online tickets en masse — but even so, those sorts of pre-sales do not suggest an embarrassing opening.

Pacific Rim has surged on social media this week, which makes sense, since Warner Bros. saved most of its marketing budget for the release phase, and awareness is rising quickly. Plus, the film has earned strong reviews overall, which should lead to solid word-of-mouth. Though there are no bona fide movie stars in Pacific Rim‘s cast (the film has been advertised mostly with robots and monsters), the appeal of Del Toro may connect with film buffs. With 3-D and IMAX prices factored in — plus the groundswell of excitement for an original story — I think Pacific Rim could earn $52 million out of 3,275 theaters this weekend. I’m very aware that might be too high, but really, who knows where this film ends up?

2. Despicable Me 2 – $49 million

3. Grown-Ups 2 - $38 milion

The Lone Ranger might not even finish in the Top 5, pretty dramatic fall for Johnny Depp, but 75% of it's the dated material. He's going to need the next Pirates movie to be successful, and the odds are that will disappoint as well.

There's also a rumor flying around on the internet that one of the studios paid off the debt/mortgage for the operator of AINT IT COOL NEWS so that they would support it (PACIFIC RIM) with all positive reviews/media/PR support and lots of movie mentions.

http://variety.com/2013/film/box-office/bo...rim-1200561579/

Variety.com is predicting Despicable Me 2, Grown-Ups and then Pacific Rim...if Grown-Ups beats Pacific Rim, I've given up having any hope and faith for the future of the movie industry.

Edited by caulfield12

http://tv.yahoo.com/blogs/tv-news/tara-rei...-231402869.html

Surefire Academy Award nominee for next year...one of the best movies ever made.

tweets from key industry figures all around the world about this highly-anticipated movie

http://variety.com/2013/tv/news/sharknado-...ers-1200561879/

Grown-Ups 48 negs/only 4 +

Pacific Rim 114 positives/41 negatives

Edited by caulfield12

I wanted to like Pacific Rim so much more than I actually do. The special effects were awesome, the fight sequences themselves were probably the best I've ever seen and (for once) you could tell this was approached with some imagination. The Hong Kong scene was just unreal, it was as epic as this movie advertised itself and that happens very rarely (looking at you Battleship).

The problem comes with me missing almost anything interesting any of these characters have ever done. I cant remember any of their names, except for Mako who's the only one we see grow into something. Charlie Day and his sidekick are funny, they get worked into the plot, but they come out of nowhere and each time they have a scene I wonder to myself why I care about them. I remember the names of the Jaeger, though: Typhoon, Gipsy Danger, Striker Eureka and Cherno Alpha. Maybe my brain works the wrong way--but the Jaeger were infinitely more interesting and had much more personality than all but one or two human characters. But we dont meet many of them, we get to know hardly any of the crews because we skip everything interesting that seems to have happened rushing to a "final" conclusion.

I think they did this because they were worried about looking Transformers-like. But this movie was nothing like Transformers, the physics seemed plausible, the fight scenes were imaginative and the world in which this took place wasn't just "MODERN WORLD + DEADLY ROBOTS". It was a better movie than any of the Transformers, much better than any big monster disaster movie we've seen since I can remember and honestly, I did enjoy the living s*** out of it, but it hamstrings itself. Oh well, at least it was fun.

Edited by DukeNukeEm

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Jul 12, 2013 -> 08:31 AM)
I wanted to like Pacific Rim so much more than I actually do. The special effects were awesome, the fight sequences themselves were probably the best I've ever seen and (for once) you could tell this was approached with some imagination. The Hong Kong scene was just unreal, it was as epic as this movie advertised itself and that happens very rarely (looking at you Battleship).

The problem comes with me missing almost anything interesting any of these characters have ever done. I cant remember any of their names, except for Mako who's the only one we see grow into something. Charlie Day and his sidekick are funny, they get worked into the plot, but they come out of nowhere and each time they have a scene I wonder to myself why I care about them. I remember the names of the Jaeger, though: Typhoon, Gipsy Danger, Striker Eureka and Cherno Alpha. Maybe my brain works the wrong way--but the Jaeger were infinitely more interesting and had much more personality than all but one or two human characters. But we dont meet many of them, we get to know hardly any of the crews because we skip everything interesting that seems to have happened rushing to a "final" conclusion.

I think they did this because they were worried about looking Transformers-like. But this movie was nothing like Transformers, the physics seemed plausible, the fight scenes were imaginative and the world in which this took place wasn't just "MODERN WORLD + DEADLY ROBOTS". It was a better movie than any of the Transformers, much better than any big monster disaster movie we've seen since I can remember and honestly, I did enjoy the living s*** out of it, but it hamstrings itself. Oh well, at least it was fun.

Agreed. If you recall, these are the same exact arguments critics take against Transformers movies, Michael Bay, Emmerich, etc.

Idris Elba was just overdoing it, he was kind of a riff on the drill sergeant character in Avatar in a way.

I'm a huge fans of Sons of Anarchy fan and Charlie Hunnam and Hellboy were basically distillations of Jax Teller and Clay (I'll be very interested to see Charlie play a completely different type of character in the next del Toro production...actually, that's how both those guys ended up in the movie, the director was a huge fan of SONS and had worked with Perlman on Hellboy...Hunnam was too virtuous for one of the villainous roles on Hellboy 2 but del Toro always had him in mind for future collaborations).

I think Rinko Kikuchi is a wonderfullly-talented actress, she's like a chameleon, if you remember her from Babel. I've seen her in a couple of very strong Japanese dramas as well.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http:/...ed=0CJUBEP4dMA4

The Japanese/Toyko city scene evoked memories of Pan's Labyrinth, and perhaps fans of the director expected too much of that dramatic exposition, and it was never intended to be that type of movie...it was more of a homage to all the Japanese movie monsters of the 50's, 60's and 70's.

This is one of the first (mainstream/big-budget) movies I can recall with a love interest between an Asian woman and a "white guy." I think they weren't sure where to go with it, into romantic territory or friend/mentor/admirer.

I had NO EARTHLY CLUE what the German nerdy scientist was even saying 50% of the time...and Charlie Day was a little TOO phrenetic, playing the same part Justin Bartha did against Nicholas Cage in the National Treasure movies, comic foil. Whenever they showed up on camera, I wanted to fast-forward to the next scene.

Finally, this movie is going to do huge box office in Japan and China...it might need to, if they want to get money for a second film, as this one came in at $185 million and probably the actual costs with marketing/production are up in the high 300's range.

Edited by caulfield12

http://popwatch.ew.com/2013/07/12/inhuman-...-matt-fraction/

How will the introduction of "INHUMAN" change the Marvel Comics universe, if at all?

With the newfound popularity of zombies and vampires, you know something like this was coming down the pike eventually.

http://popwatch.ew.com/2013/07/12/sharknado-syfy-react/

Sharknado is taking over, boo-yah. Have to watch Piranhaconda now, too.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/piranhaconda/

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 12, 2013 -> 01:03 PM)
http://popwatch.ew.com/2013/07/12/inhuman-...-matt-fraction/

How will the introduction of "INHUMAN" change the Marvel Comics universe, if at all?

With the newfound popularity of zombies and vampires, you know something like this was coming down the pike eventually.

http://popwatch.ew.com/2013/07/12/sharknado-syfy-react/

Sharknado is taking over, boo-yah. Have to watch Piranhaconda now, too.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/piranhaconda/

It isnt going to change anything, this Inhumans have been around since the 70s

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 12, 2013 -> 01:05 PM)
It isnt going to change anything, this Inhumans have been around since the 70s

Guess I'm not the comic con type.

I've never even read a Comic book...maybe there was one about Pope John Paul II that was issued when he became pope in 1979, lol.

Wonder if that's worth anything? Probably not.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 11, 2013 -> 06:54 AM)

AND NOW WE KNOW WHY.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jul 11, 2013 -> 06:13 PM)
Anyone who pays to see that movie shouldn't be allowed to breed.

I almost walked out of Grown Ups I. It just was so f***ing boring. I agree with you on your joke about not being allowed to breed. How could anybody pay to see Grown Ups II?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 12, 2013 -> 02:22 PM)
I almost walked out of Grown Ups I. It just was so f***ing boring. I agree with you on your joke about not being allowed to breed. How could anybody pay to see Grown Ups II?

You MUST goeth to Pacific Rim.

The most intense 3D/IMAX experience since Avatar...

www.boxoffice.com

Friday Update #2: Based on early grosses, it looks like Despicable Me 2 will hold on to 1st place this weekend with a sophomore haul north of $45 million. That would put Universal's animated flick at $230 million domestically after only two weekends.

Pacific Rim is on pace to top Grown Ups 2. Both films are poised to open above $40 million, but Pacific Rim is looking at $43 million-$44 million and Grown Ups 2 is looking at $41 million-$42 million.

With three films running this close, don't be surprised if the order switches by the time Sunday ends. Official studio estimates and updated projections will be released on Saturday morning.

Pacific Rim definitely boasts better word of mouth than Grown Ups 2. Fandango users have rated the sci-fi flick as a "Must Go" option, and critics have rewarded Guillermo del Toro's effort with a 72% approval rating on RottenTomatoes.com. Grown Ups 2 is sitting at an 8% approval rating on RT, but it did receive a "Go" rating from Fandango users. Adam Sandler is one of the most critic-proof actors working today, so Sony can just shrug off the negative reviews. If anything, Grown Ups 2 could be hurt by families deciding to check out Despicable Me 2 instead. Sandler's brand of comedy is aimed partially at teens, but it's not safe for young children.

Friday Update #1: Pacific Rim took in an impressive $3.6 million from Thursday evening shows, $835,000--or 23 percent--of that came from IMAX shows. That's a great start for the Warner Bros. release. The debut matches the $3.6 million that World War Z posted from Thursday previews before snagging an impressive $66.4 million opening. This doesn't guarantee that Pacific Rim will match World War Z's opening weekend, but it certainly does bode well. The tide has turned for the WB release in a big way.

Edited by caulfield12