2013 Films Thread

cabiness42

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 28, 2013 -> 08:38 PM)
http://news.yahoo.com/why-zero-dark-thirty...-210311562.html

Why Black Hawk Down is falling away in the Oscar race.

Personally, I would choose Argo or Life of Pi for best picture. I just don't get how Affleck got snubbed if Argo wins. Guess nobody accused the Academy of making sense.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 27, 2013 -> 06:23 PM)
Academy Award winner Halle Berry no longer can cite "Catwoman" as the low point of her career. In "Movie 43," she initiates a game of "Truth or Dare" on a blind date — and that leads to Berry making guacamole by mashing avocados with her bare breasts, and inserting a turkey baster filled with extra-hot sauce into herself. And then things get REALLY ugly. My God, do they get ugly.

Apparently Hugh Jackman and Academy Award winner Kate Winslet thought they'd be showing off their carefree, comedic sides by playing a blind date scene in which Jackman's character has a realistic-looking scrotum dangling from his chin — which seems to escape the notice of everyone but Winslet.

They were all wrong. Very, very, very wrong.

From "National Lampoon's Animal House" to "Stripes" to many of the Judd Apatow R-rated comedies to "Ted," I've long been a fan of rude-crude-lewd films — IF they're also smart and we care about the characters and there's a lit bit of an emotional investment in their fates. But I don't see a redeeming molecule in a movie that has Chloe Grace Moretz getting her first period while teenage boys and grown men react like Neanderthals, or Kristen Bell playing Supergirl, who becomes the butt of jokes about her crotch, not to mention the humiliation endured by Faris, Berry and Watts. The men in this movie are jerks, idiots, dolts and fools. The women have it much worse.

Ebert review of Movie 43, suntimes.com

It looks bad, but it also looks like one of those movies that if you're in the right mood it could be hilarious. I'm guessing Roeper just didn't get "it," but perhaps it is truly that bad. Although I must say, using "Howard the Duck" as an example of a terrible movie he wishes to forget severely hurts my 8-10 year old self's feelings. That movie rocked back in the day.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 29, 2013 -> 10:05 AM)
It looks bad, but it also looks like one of those movies that if you're in the right mood it could be hilarious. I'm guessing Roeper just didn't get "it," but perhaps it is truly that bad. Although I must say, using "Howard the Duck" as an example of a terrible movie he wishes to forget severely hurts my 8-10 year old self's feelings. That movie rocked back in the day.

Apparently there were a hack of a lot of people in the wrong mood to see it. Is this the worst rated movie of all time on RT?

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/movie_43/

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 29, 2013 -> 12:30 PM)
Apparently there were a hack of a lot of people in the wrong mood to see it. Is this the worst rated movie of all time on RT?

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/movie_43/

Yeah, it's getting crushed. But I've seen movies that are universally praised that I think are awful (Little Miss Sunshine is my go to), so i'm sure there are exceptions to terrible movies as well.

Either way, a train wreck movie can still be funny for being comically bad. I'll never pay to see this, but if it ends up on a movie channel I might.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 29, 2013 -> 06:03 AM)
Personally, I would choose Argo or Life of Pi for best picture. I just don't get how Affleck got snubbed if Argo wins. Guess nobody accused the Academy of making sense.

I feel pretty strong about Life of Pi being the best film of the year.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 29, 2013 -> 12:40 PM)
Yeah, it's getting crushed. But I've seen movies that are universally praised that I think are awful (Little Miss Sunshine is my go to), so i'm sure there are exceptions to terrible movies as well.

I've also seen universally praised movies that I think are terrible but HOW DARE YOU LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE WAS FANTASTIC.

When Paul Dano finds out he's colorblind and can't be a pilot? f***ing hilarious. The entire movie is f***ing hilarious. And smart.

Not trying to change your mind about the movie, merely expressing my undying love for it. I should probably go watch it again.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 31, 2013 -> 05:44 PM)
Do I want to admit that the only activity I haven't already completed on the Star Trek: Into Darkness app would require me going to San Francisco?

There is an app?

Also, I happened to notice, there is a longer (2 minute) preview on iTunes for that now. Did you see it already? I assume so, just checking.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 1, 2013 -> 11:47 AM)
There is an app?

Also, I happened to notice, there is a longer (2 minute) preview on iTunes for that now. Did you see it already? I assume so, just checking.

The App came out yesterday.

The 2 minute trailer came out the day after the release of the Hobbit.

Saw RACE 2, Hindi movie in NEW DELHI.

Haha. There are two super hot girls in this film.

It's the Bollywood version of mixing Jason Bourne, The Fighter and National Treasure into one derivative flick.

The famous Indian comedian actor who was in Mission Impossible: Ghost Proctocol (the one seduced by Paula Patton in Mumbai) was one of the 3 male leads.

Weather here about 70 degrees everyday, winter just ending. Will try to wake up for the Super Bowl Monday morning at 530 am.

Will update with any other movies from Mumbai and Goa.

QUOTE (Brian @ Feb 4, 2013 -> 03:39 AM)
"The Impossible" was very good. Despite knowing the ending and being cold hearted, couldn't help get goosebumps and emotional at a few scenes.

The scene where the dad broke down on the cell phone was tough to watch.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Feb 4, 2013 -> 08:46 AM)
Watched 'Shame' with Michael Fassbender last night. Interesting to say the least.

You should be in for a treat with Don Jon's Addiction. Don Jon's Addiction is Joseph Gordon Levitt's directorial and writing debut in a full feature length film. Similar, but oh so very different at the same time. Great accomplishment for a first time film, even though I really had little doubt in his abilities outside of acting. The man will win an Oscar at some point I have a firm belief that he will win an Oscar in the next five years or so, give or take a year either way. Levitt is currently having every huge script in Hollywood sent his way. In my opinion he is bound to run into the proper script sooner rather than later to propel his ability to an even higher level... and at the very least I think he will warrant some nominations. Triple threats are extremely scare, so he has as good of a shot, if not better than any out there. Levitt just may even end up directing himself to an acting nomination someday, he is that good.

Anyone else enjoy his work? Anyone think he sucks blows? Why on both accounts?