2013 Films Thread

cabiness42

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 13, 2013 -> 10:43 PM)
Paradise Lost is one of the most difficult documentaries I have ever had to watch. Part 3: Purgatory was on tonite, seeing those poor kids in the crimescene video is just surreal

Peter Jackson produced a documentary called West of Memphis that came out last year. It's supposed to be pretty good.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Feb 15, 2013 -> 09:25 PM)
Good day to Die Hard is getting absolutely slammed over at Rotten Tomatoes.

Reading the reviews though, while over the top, it's tolerable if you like the others. I'm still seeing it.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Feb 18, 2013 -> 08:33 AM)
The new Die Hard movie was one of the worst movies I've ever seen.

nothing memorable in the film at all. The interactions between John & son seemed stale. Script and plot were terrible...and the action scenes, though unrealistic, are kind of on par with the other Die Hards, and for an R rated movie, the violence and language was really tame. 4/10...wait for it to be on FX or USA or TNT or whatever.

Searching for Sugar Man has to be not only the best documentary of 2012, it's probably the best overall movie/entertainment of the year.

Amazing story. Too strange to be true.

I had watched War Witch and 5 Broken Cameras (another excellent documentary), but I've never seen one quite like Sugar Man....and, with all the controversy over Zero Dark Thirty, Lincoln and Argo playing around with the truth and events being compressed, made up or overly dramatized, well, nobody could make up the Rodriguez story if they tried for 100 years.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 2, 2013 -> 08:29 PM)
Searching for Sugar Man has to be not only the best documentary of 2012, it's probably the best overall movie/entertainment of the year.

Amazing story. Too strange to be true.

I had watched War Witch and 5 Broken Cameras (another excellent documentary), but I've never seen one quite like Sugar Man....and, with all the controversy over Zero Dark Thirty, Lincoln and Argo playing around with the truth and events being compressed, made up or overly dramatized, well, nobody could make up the Rodriguez story if they tried for 100 years.

I'd argue that The Invisible War was more deserving for doing what the best documentaries do: affect change. The Invisible War leads to policy changes, even before opening

QUOTE (Jake @ Mar 2, 2013 -> 09:56 PM)
I'd argue that The Invisible War was more deserving for doing what the best documentaries do: affect change. The Invisible War leads to policy changes, even before opening

By that line of thinking, Bowling for Columbine would have to rank up there (in your definition), although you have to subtract points for its one-sidedness and lack of objectivity.

Whereas, for example, Fog of War was more philosophical and it would be much harder to get any concrete reforms out of it directly, but you could make a reasonable argument it's 10X more important than any of the Michael Moore films, even Roger & Me. (Although I'm sure some will argue that Moore movies are not even documentaries but are a different category, political commentary and satire pigeon-holed into the doc category).

Measuring influence of a documentary by lives changes, laws passed or reforms enacted doesn't touch upon that idea of human inspiration and hope and never giving up that is at the center of the Rodriguez story. Biography has that ability, that a single topic or issue simply doesn't because of scale and scope.

Edited by caulfield12

Totally late to the party, but the wifey and I watched Argo this weekend. I didn't see any of the other Oscar nominated movies, but I'm a little surprised that it won best picture given what I've heard about all of the other movies. It was GOOD, but I didn't think it was anything special. And then reading up on it afterwards I found out that 90% of the movie was made up (pretty much every scene intended to ratchet up the intensity except for the taking of the embassy in the beginning).

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 4, 2013 -> 10:13 AM)
Totally late to the party, but the wifey and I watched Argo this weekend. I didn't see any of the other Oscar nominated movies, but I'm a little surprised that it won best picture given what I've heard about all of the other movies. It was GOOD, but I didn't think it was anything special. And then reading up on it afterwards I found out that 90% of the movie was made up (pretty much every scene intended to ratchet up the intensity except for the taking of the embassy in the beginning).

I kind of agree; it was good, not great, but I give Ben Affleck credit for building and maintaining suspense even though the ending was never in doubt.

I heard differently regarding its accuracy, and that only the final runway scenes were enhanced. I think even Jimmy Carter said as much.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Mar 4, 2013 -> 10:58 AM)
I kind of agree; it was good, not great, but I give Ben Affleck credit for building and maintaining suspense even though the ending was never in doubt.

I heard differently regarding its accuracy, and that only the final runway scenes were enhanced. I think even Jimmy Carter said as much.

SPOILERS AHOY!

According to

Wiki -

In the film, the diplomats face suspicious glances from Iranians whenever they go out in public, and appear close to being caught at many steps along the way to their freedom. In reality, the diplomats never appeared to be in imminent danger:

In the film, while pretending to scout for filming locations at a bazaar, the crew face suspicious glances, and are accosted by a few vendors, who suspect them of being American. In reality, this scouting trip never happened.[36][38][46]

In the film, the crew again encounters suspicion while purchasing plane tickets to Zurich; in reality Taylor's wife bought three sets of plane tickets from three different airlines ahead of time, without any issues.[36][38]

The film depicts a dramatic last-minute cancellation of the mission by the Carter administration and a bureaucratic crisis in which Mendez declares he will proceed with the mission. Carter delayed authorization by only 30 minutes, and that was before Mendez had left Europe for Iran.[47]

In the film, there is again a tense situation when the crew tries to board the plane, and their identities are nearly discovered. In reality, there was no confrontation with security officials at the departure gate.[48][47]

In the film, before the plane takes off, gun-toting Iranian guards try to stop the plane in a dramatic chase sequence; in reality, there was no runway chase at the airport.[49] As Mark Lijek described it, "Fortunately for us, there were very few Revolutionary Guards about. It's why we turned up for a flight at 5.30 in the morning; even they weren't zealous enough to be there that early. The truth is the immigration officers barely looked at us and we were processed out in the regular way. We got on the flight to Zurich and then we were taken to the US ambassador's residence in Berne. It was that straightforward."[46]

In essence, the entire movie was makemup hollywood. Again, doesn't detract from a well-made movie, but I dunno, it has to lose points for basically being "political" while also being fake.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/one-more-tri...ew_default=true

The financial risks behind Oz: The Great and Powerful

First 15 reviews up, 10 are positive at RT.com. Looks like it will land between Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Alice in Wonderland in terms of box office. A lot depends on international box office, obviously, whether it's ultimately profitable or not.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 4, 2013 -> 12:00 PM)
SPOILERS AHOY!

According to Wiki -

In essence, the entire movie was makemup hollywood. Again, doesn't detract from a well-made movie, but I dunno, it has to lose points for basically being "political" while also being fake.

The Bravehart effect.

Just because it wasn't factually accurate even though it's "based" on a true person, place, event, or whatever, doesn't mean the movie in itself didn't kick ass. Argo kicked ass as a movie.