2013 TV Thread

knightni

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Dec 29, 2012 -> 12:47 AM)
I am really liking Oswin. I thought it would be hard to replace Pond, like it was with Rose, but Im thinking Oswin may do the trick.

Yeah she's good. I like that they're giving her mystery right away. They've set themselves up for quite a few really cool explanations. It's a great way to build a connection to her character, although Pond will probably always be my favorite.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 2, 2013 -> 05:38 AM)
Shameless. Cant Wait.

My wife and I started Shameless last night after Directv/Showtime finally put the first two seasons on the ondemand. I had given the first episode a shot a while back and didn't care for it, but this time it seemed to click. Perhaps the lack of any other TV at the moment was necessary. The first two were really good.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 2, 2013 -> 09:13 AM)
My wife and I started Shameless last night after Directv/Showtime finally put the first two seasons on the ondemand. I had given the first episode a shot a while back and didn't care for it, but this time it seemed to click. Perhaps the lack of any other TV at the moment was necessary. The first two were really good.

William H Macy is so hilarious in his role. Im just never used to him being such a scumbag and he plays it well

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 2, 2013 -> 09:23 AM)
William H Macy is so hilarious in his role. Im just never used to him being such a scumbag and he plays it well

He completely disappears into that role. It's amazing how well he plays that character.

The Following looks like it could be a good show. It's getting a lot of good publicity. I hope it turns out as good as it looks.

The Americans on FX looks interesting, too.

And I'm very much looking forward to Shameless and Justified.

Probably could go in its own thread, but i'll put it here:

http://www.businessinsider.com/intel-cable...1#ixzz2GkSFccYf

Intel is reportedly on the cusp of delivering something that consumers around the world have been wanting for a long, long time.

Kelly Clay at Forbes reports Intel is going to blow up the cable industry with its own set-top box and an unbundled cable service.

Clay says Intel is planning to deliver cable content to any device with an Internet connection. And instead of having to pay $80 a month for two hundred channels you don't want, you'll be able to subscribe to specific channels of your choosing.

Here's the key paragraph:

This set-top box, said by industry insiders to be available to a limited beta of customers in March, will offer cable channels delivered “over the top” to televisions anywhere there is an Internet connection regardless of provider. (Microsoft Mediaroom, for example, requires AT&T’s service, and Xbox has limited offerings for Comcast and FiOS customers). For the first time, consumers will be able to subscribe to content per channel, unlike bundled cable services, and you may also be able to subscribe per show as well. Intel’s set-top box will also have access to Intel’s already existing app marketplace for apps, casual games, and video on demand. Leveraging the speed of current broadband, and the vast shared resources of the cloud, Intel plans to give customers the ability to use “Cloud DVR”, a feature intended to allow users to watch any past TV show at any time, without the need to record it ahead of time, pause live tv, and rewind shows in progress.

This is a holy-grail of sorts for people that subscribe to cable.

I think the article talks about the problem with this - once you start taking the subscriber base payments out, the cost of those channels rises to the point that for the same money you're getting about 5 channels. I'd love this if it were cost effective since I only watch about 15-20 networks, but I think over the long term TV will suffer and we'd be back to watching crappy network shows. With this model I don't see how shows like Mad Men and Breaking Bad are made because there would be no network with the funds to give them a shot.

Finally got through season 2 of Homeland. I'll say I don't think Brody was involved in the bombing but I have no idea how it happened. I'm assuming parking lot video will come up fairly quickly in the next season to show someone else moving the vehicle. I'm just wondering why the CIA would immediately call off surveillance for a known terrorist, Brody, the minute Nazir was killed. You'd think they'd monitor him a little more to ensure that there wasn't some sort of retaliation or at least communication with other lieutenants of Al Qaeda.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 3, 2013 -> 04:09 PM)
So I had a really odd experience. 2 shows I havent watched were Band of Brothers and Homeland. Ive had some time off so I decided to watch them both.

There is just something really odd watching Captain Frank Winters as Brody.

BOB is amazing. I'm actually watching the Pacific for the first time right now. Pretty good. Nowhere near BOB (which is just epic).

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 3, 2013 -> 06:09 PM)
So I had a really odd experience. 2 shows I havent watched were Band of Brothers and Homeland. Ive had some time off so I decided to watch them both.

There is just something really odd watching Captain Frank Winters as Brody.

You could also watch that show that was on NBC that I never watched that has Damian Lewis...Life, or something.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 3, 2013 -> 08:03 PM)
BOB is amazing. I'm actually watching the Pacific for the first time right now. Pretty good. Nowhere near BOB (which is just epic).

Did you get that through Netflix? I'd love to catch the last 1/2 of that but I have no idea where else to rent it and I'm not a Netflix member.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 4, 2013 -> 06:08 AM)
Did you get that through Netflix? I'd love to catch the last 1/2 of that but I have no idea where else to rent it and I'm not a Netflix member.

I got it on sale for 14.99 in one of those after christmas sales. Probably the first DVD I've bought in 4 or 5 years. I couldn't resist when I saw it that price. Just finished it last night. It was good but really doesn't compare to Band of Brothers. 1st half was pretty good but I wasn't as much of a fan of a chunk of the 2nd half (didn't like some of the characters as much). You could check...Best Buy might still have it.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 4, 2013 -> 09:59 AM)
The cheapest way is to sign up for HBO for a month and watch them on HBOGO within your cable billing cycle. When you're done, cancel the subscription. That would be less than 20 bucks, and probably with promotions like 10.

I adore HBOGO. I could never be without HBO.

I guess that's why I just call Comcast every 6 months and demand it be free for another 6 months.

All this talk of Band of Brothers - it's sooo amazing. I agree with you all. When The Pacific aired, I'd hoped it'd be up to snuff, but something was missing. But yeah, Band of Brothers - amazing.

I've recently started a show on HBOGO (I use my tablet at the gym during cardio) that I've never watched before and most of you have probably never heard of, call "The Sopranos".

Haha, jk, obviously you've heard of it. I can't believe I've never watched this - I'm like 9 episodes in and hooked.

Yeah HBO used to be overpriced, but now with GO it's worth it. You can watch their "good" catalog (the bombs and flops aren't available) at anytime. During the breaks between shows - like now until March 31st when GOT comes back - I catch up on old stuff during my commute home on the train. I've watched all of Entourage again (first season was so much better than the last few), Generation Kill, and Boardwalk. I'm thinking about starting up The Wire again...it's been a few years.

I which Showtime would come out with a similar app for Android. Nothing yet though.