2013 TV Thread

knightni

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Feb 8, 2013 -> 09:46 AM)
It was. You must have turned it off after 15 minutes because it took me until about halfway through the episode before I was feeling it.

I think I got well over an hour in - when they were banging in the car to "In the Air Tonight" it really, really lost me. I was so like Edward Norton below but with a tv remote instead of a laptop.

ed-nortan-laptop.gif

I enjoyed the premiere but was let down by the second episode. They needed to do a better job explaining why the leads were so pro-communist and anti-american to start. I feel like they did the opposite - they established that both had s***ty lives at home, became spies, live nicely in America but still want to bring death to democracy and capitalism. How does that make sense?

Also, when you start the show with one of these people openly questioning whether to defect, their undercover missions become less important and the audience loses interest. Why do I care what they're doing when one of them doesn't really care? Why are they risking it all? And then Keri Russell's character at the end of this episode basically said the same thing as her husband in the first episode - yeah, i love my kids, maybe this isn't worth it. Hey daughter, let's get your ear pierced like these other American girls!

So neither really believes in what they're doing anymore, they both are accepting of American values, and yet we're supposed to believe that they'll risk their lives for these crazy spy missions? Meh. They lost me.

(and that's ignoring the really convenient FBI agent neighbor storyline)

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 8, 2013 -> 11:18 AM)
I enjoyed the premiere but was let down by the second episode. They needed to do a better job explaining why the leads were so pro-communist and anti-american to start. I feel like they did the opposite - they established that both had s***ty lives at home, became spies, live nicely in America but still want to bring death to democracy and capitalism. How does that make sense?

Also, when you start the show with one of these people openly questioning whether to defect, their undercover missions become less important and the audience loses interest. Why do I care what they're doing when one of them doesn't really care? Why are they risking it all? And then Keri Russell's character at the end of this episode basically said the same thing as her husband in the first episode - yeah, i love my kids, maybe this isn't worth it. Hey daughter, let's get your ear pierced like these other American girls!

So neither really believes in what they're doing anymore, they both are accepting of American values, and yet we're supposed to believe that they'll risk their lives for these crazy spy missions? Meh. They lost me.

You analyze too much. ;)

Jenks,

Keri Russel's father died in Stalingrad and her mother was part of the local party. Her origin story would make her very loyal to the USSR.

That is why she is always implying that her husband will survive while she will not. She idolizes the martyrdom of her father at Stalingrad and wants to be a "hero" like him. You also have to believe that there is some threat against her family in the USSR.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 8, 2013 -> 11:18 AM)

Actually IIRC the first episode it established that the husband is ready to abandon their assignment and KR is very pro-motherland. Maybe over the course of the show they will come closer to some middle ground.

QUOTE (Brian @ Feb 10, 2013 -> 08:49 PM)
So, Shameless sure likes to keep going "there". And I can't stop watching.

By "there" i believe you mean "girl penis". Yup.

It was one of the funnier episodes in a long time. Frank calling Jody the grand poobah of depravity was hilarious