2013 TV Thread

knightni

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jan 6, 2013 -> 02:51 PM)
Band of Brothers was amazing. The Pacific was awful.

I have HBO for GOT and Boardwalk Empire. The only other time I watch it is for boxing. I'm basically paying $120 a year for 2 shows. f*** that. I'm getting rid of HBO and I'm off to torrent land.

Couldn't disagree more. I think BoB's factual history lent itself to being a better mini-series. You could follow the same core group of guys through key points in the war. That, and it was one of the first mini-series of its kind. In dealing with the Pacific you had to skip around to different groups to capture some of the bigger battles/experiences. If BoB was an A, I think The Pacific was a B+ at worst.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 6, 2013 -> 01:13 PM)
Watched the first Downton Abbey last night. Color me impressed. #instantlyhooked

If it were on in the middle of the day it would be a soap opera and i'd laugh at my wife for watching. Yet there I was yesterday, being excited for the 2 hour premiere. And it was pretty good.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 4, 2013 -> 10:32 AM)
I adore HBOGO. I could never be without HBO.

I guess that's why I just call Comcast every 6 months and demand it be free for another 6 months.

All this talk of Band of Brothers - it's sooo amazing. I agree with you all. When The Pacific aired, I'd hoped it'd be up to snuff, but something was missing. But yeah, Band of Brothers - amazing.

I've recently started a show on HBOGO (I use my tablet at the gym during cardio) that I've never watched before and most of you have probably never heard of, call "The Sopranos".

Haha, jk, obviously you've heard of it. I can't believe I've never watched this - I'm like 9 episodes in and hooked.

Band of Brothers is one of the best shows ever put on TV, period. The book is a great follow up to read.

And you are all welcome for HBOGO, my company makes it all possible.

I like how Downtown doesn't try to paint their characters as complete heroes. It does bring in characters to highlight how silly it is that they hold themselves in such high esteem, yet have done nothing to earn their money and seem to be quite terrible at maintaining it. That said, I hope they can keep Tom around for more. He's a good actor.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 7, 2013 -> 09:43 AM)
Couldn't disagree more. I think BoB's factual history lent itself to being a better mini-series. You could follow the same core group of guys through key points in the war. That, and it was one of the first mini-series of its kind. In dealing with the Pacific you had to skip around to different groups to capture some of the bigger battles/experiences. If BoB was an A, I think The Pacific was a B+ at worst.

I'll admit my sample size was small, but I started watching an episode of the Pacific and I couldn't get through one of them. It just didn't seem as well done, acting included.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 7, 2013 -> 10:45 AM)
Band of Brothers is one of the best shows ever put on TV, period. The book is a great follow up to read.

And you are all welcome for HBOGO, my company makes it all possible.

Thanks to you and your company! Now call someone over at Showtime and sell them on creating the same kind of app.

On a similar note, I noticed my DirecTV app has been updated to include its on demand library, as well as a feature to watch live TV so long as you're connected to the same wi-fi network as the receiver. That's going to be awesome to be able to have a game going on my tablet while watching another show with the wifey. Or better yet, watching 2 games at once.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 7, 2013 -> 10:56 AM)
I like how Downtown doesn't try to paint their characters as complete heroes. It does bring in characters to highlight how silly it is that they hold themselves in such high esteem, yet have done nothing to earn their money and seem to be quite terrible at maintaining it. That said, I hope they can keep Tom around for more. He's a good actor.

I was a little upset that Tom wasn't around for the 2nd hour last night. I was hoping he and cybil (?) would be back in Downton permanently this season. He adds some much needed spark.

Also,

f*** Mary. God I despise her. She's up there with Kate Austin and Skylar White as the worst female character leads in TV.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 7, 2013 -> 11:36 AM)
I was a little upset that Tom wasn't around for the 2nd hour last night. I was hoping he and cybil (?) would be back in Downton permanently this season. He adds some much needed spark.

Also,

f*** Mary. God I despise her. She's up there with Kate Austin and Skylar White as the worst female character leads in TV.

I don't see why Mary being a c*** needed to be blacked out - she's such a b****. Thankfully, she's finally married.

And yes, Tom is awesome. His drunken rant was crazy, though, and I'm glad the cripple saw that he was drugged. I wonder how long we'll have to wait until Matthew decides to in fact save Downton?

Yeah, probably wasn't necessary but someone said they only watched one episode. I'm sure Mary was a b**** from the start though.

For those that watch Justified - is it ok to jump in last season? My wife and I watched 3/4th's of season 1 and then moved and lost the remaining episodes on our DVR. Then we ended up skipping season 2, hoping they'd be on Netflix streaming (still not). I taped every episode from last season though. Would we be missing a ton starting with last season?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 7, 2013 -> 12:34 PM)
For those that watch Justified - is it ok to jump in last season? My wife and I watched 3/4th's of season 1 and then moved and lost the remaining episodes on our DVR. Then we ended up skipping season 2, hoping they'd be on Netflix streaming (still not). I taped every episode from last season though. Would we be missing a ton starting with last season?

I've been on board since day 1, but my wife jumped in start of last season and really enjoyed it and only had a few questions. I think you'd be ok, but I highly recommend the final like 5 episodes of season 1 and season 2 someday. Great tv.

Last season blew the first two away, though.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 7, 2013 -> 12:34 PM)
Yeah, probably wasn't necessary but someone said they only watched one episode. I'm sure Mary was a b**** from the start though.

You can jump in and be fine, love the show.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 7, 2013 -> 06:45 PM)
I don't see why Mary being a c*** needed to be blacked out - she's such a b****. Thankfully, she's finally married.

And yes, Tom is awesome. His drunken rant was crazy, though, and I'm glad the cripple saw that he was drugged. I wonder how long we'll have to wait until Matthew decides to in fact save Downton?

I hope that Matthew doesn't. How absurd for that family to keep their way of life by falling ass backwards into inheritances over and over. This series should make everyone love America.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 7, 2013 -> 12:41 PM)
I've been on board since day 1, but my wife jumped in start of last season and really enjoyed it and only had a few questions. I think you'd be ok, but I highly recommend the final like 5 episodes of season 1 and season 2 someday. Great tv.

Last season blew the first two away, though.

Yeah, I picked it up cold with Season 3 last year; I think I'd only seen part of one episode once before that, and I that was it. I didn't feel like I was missing too much, if anything. Stoked for tomorrow's premiere.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Jan 8, 2013 -> 11:43 PM)
Good first episode for Justified.

I thought the scene with the bear suit guy wasn't going to be topped, until Boyd told Cortland Rhodes to "take care of him." That was great. "Well, I guess next time I need to be a bit more specific...."

"Patience is a virtue."

So Arlo isn't getting out of prison anytime soon.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Jan 8, 2013 -> 11:43 PM)
Good first episode for Justified.

I thought the scene with the bear suit guy wasn't going to be topped, until Boyd told Cortland Rhodes to "take care of him." That was great. "Well, I guess next time I need to be a bit more specific...."

It is set for watching this evening. Damn wife going to bed so early!!

jk, I don't mind waiting for her.