2013 TV Thread

knightni

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 27, 2013 -> 11:57 AM)
Liked the pilot for "The Following". Hope it doesn't get too cheesy like other shows. The fact Bacon is in it gives me hope that its legit.

Cheesy Bacon???? mmmmmmmm wait....this isn't a soup thread??????

Shameless with the best episode of the young season so far. The walk-up to the teacher's door, and when she opened the door the first time, were both fantastic. Also funny when V's boobs randomly came out during the fight. Plus, there was an awkward sort-of sex scene in the back of an Escalade.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 28, 2013 -> 12:43 PM)
What is Downtown Abbey about? I see I have access to it on amazon prime.

A story about an aristocratic British lord and his family, and also the butlers/servants/maids that work for them, at their gigantic estate (Downton), all set in the early 20th century. It's basically a "good" soap opera, as there's lots of drama/overacting, but the characters are fun and it's a cool look into that world.

Last nights, btw, was great. Tough to blame Lord Grantham. That's a tough choice to make given the likelihood of failure with Clarkson's recommendation. Also, Mary's complete non-reaction was so perfect. God I hate her.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 28, 2013 -> 07:20 AM)
I hate to be like this, but I hope they write the baby Jaime out of the show. I dont like it at all, the whole giving valium to a baby part is just not funny.

Joan Cusack is being wasted in her role.

The valium stuff doesn't put me ill at ease, it's just an unnecessary subplot. Sheila and Jody could and should have stayed relevant characters, but the addition of the baby is dumb.

I think the Escalade driver/dude watching Jimmy could become a bigger character. I've liked his few scenes so far.

Edited by farmteam

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 28, 2013 -> 11:02 AM)
I assume this is the British version? Ive been watching the US one, and its been solid.

When you say the US one, do you mean the one on CBS? This one is a BBC show. Each season is 3 episodes (1.5Hr's long). They have done two seasons so far and you can stream for free through prime if you are a prime member. I watch the US one and it doesn't even come close to the BBC show. One of my favorite shows of all time (wish there were more episodes). It is so well done, imo.

There was a moment in last night's "The Following" that made my heart skip a beat and nearly loosened my colon. If I remembered how to use spoiler tags I'd describe and then hide it, but if you saw the episode I'm sure you can guess.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 28, 2013 -> 08:00 PM)
When you say the US one, do you mean the one on CBS? This one is a BBC show. Each season is 3 episodes (1.5Hr's long). They have done two seasons so far and you can stream for free through prime if you are a prime member. I watch the US one and it doesn't even come close to the BBC show. One of my favorite shows of all time (wish there were more episodes). It is so well done, imo.

Love Sherlock. My understanding is that they are doing one more 3 episode season. Then they run out of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's source material. Each episode is an adaptation of one of the stories.

I've heard the CBS show isn't bad, but I have also heard that it is closer to a show like House than to Sherlock Holmes. Thoughts on that? I do know that CBS reached out to the BBC to remake Sherlock for an American audience and were told to pound sand...

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Jan 29, 2013 -> 09:19 AM)
Love Sherlock. My understanding is that they are doing one more 3 episode season. Then they run out of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's source material. Each episode is an adaptation of one of the stories.

I've heard the CBS show isn't bad, but I have also heard that it is closer to a show like House than to Sherlock Holmes. Thoughts on that? I do know that CBS reached out to the BBC to remake Sherlock for an American audience and were told to pound sand...

I would say it is closer to a show like The Mentalist. He works with the police but is not an officer, he solves crimes with the power of observation, but instead of reading people he reads clues at crime scenes as well as people.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Jan 29, 2013 -> 07:15 AM)
There was a moment in last night's "The Following" that made my heart skip a beat and nearly loosened my colon. If I remembered how to use spoiler tags I'd describe and then hide it, but if you saw the episode I'm sure you can guess.

The guy jumping on Kevin Bacon in the house?

QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ Jan 29, 2013 -> 01:17 PM)
Are you saying Downton Abbey isn't as good as the O.C.? If you are, then woah.

Yep. They're both prime time soaps with the intermingling of different classes. But The O.C. entertained me more, to be honest.