2013 Video Game Thread

Kyyle23

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jun 14, 2013 -> 02:09 AM)
Agreed, although the appeal I do have is purely based on the rave reviews calling it the game of the system perhaps. I'll watch my buddy play it at some point, i'm sure.

I usually only play sports games, but bought this game just based on the reviews. I figured I'd give it a try and maybe it'll hold me off until NCAA comes out in July (I don't beat games quickly, if at all).

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jun 14, 2013 -> 08:53 AM)
The Last of Us looks good, but I can't play another post apocalyptic virus/zombie game.

Yeah I'm also getting tired of that genre. The gaming industry beat WWII to death, and now they've beaten zombies/end of the world storylines to death.

I'm pumped to play when I get home though. Me, Captain Morgan and the TV have a long date night.

Expect both consoles to have similar DRM policies.

There's been some chatter of developers jumping ship if Sony doesn't have DRM. It's the only way to keep the industry sustainable. What you basically have is Sony telling half-truths and Microsoft disregarding PR.

Lets see the price points at launch. That's the biggest difference right now. Connecting your console to the Internet once a day doesn't seem like much of an obstacle in 2013.

Sony told no half truths.

"We are focused on delivering what gamers want most without imposing restrictions or devaluing their PlayStation purchase. PlayStation 4 won't impose any new restrictions on the use of used games. That's a good thing,"

You just still do not understand the concept of licensing. Sony does not own the other companies. Sony does not "own" the games. The developers do. So Sony is subject to the license of the developers.

This is how it has always been. So Sony is being honest, you are just trying to unfairly impute the decision of the licensor on the licensee.

So the only option Sony would have is to bar developers who limit, but that would ultimately hurt the player because they would completely lose access to the game. Thus it will be up to the players/game developers to reach a decision on what the market will bear.

Quick recap:

Sony is not Square Enix.

So if Square Enix imposes new DRM its not Sony, its Square Enix. Thus there is no "half truth", unless Sony imposes DRM.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 14, 2013 -> 01:56 PM)
Sony told no half truths.

You just still do not understand the concept of licensing. Sony does not own the other companies. Sony does not "own" the games. The developers do. So Sony is subject to the license of the developers.

This is how it has always been. So Sony is being honest, you are just trying to unfairly impute the decision of the licensor on the licensee.

So the only option Sony would have is to bar developers who limit, but that would ultimately hurt the player because they would completely lose access to the game. Thus it will be up to the players/game developers to reach a decision on what the market will bear.

Quick recap:

Sony is not Square Enix.

So if Square Enix imposes new DRM its not Sony, its Square Enix. Thus there is no "half truth", unless Sony imposes DRM.

Lol. The used game market is dead. That's all that matters. Sony is marketing themselves as the good guy, but they will have the same policies.

What matters is that you are incorrectly associating Sony's policies with a 3rd parties policies.

There is a very large difference, and you are either 1) purposefully pretending not to recognize it so that you can continue your faulty argument or 2) just incapable of understanding how licensing works.

Im leaning towards 1, but I have no clue why you are being such a Microsoft apologist.

(edit)

I dont buy used game, so this policy does not at all impact me. Its just your argument is annoyingly faulty.

Edited by Soxbadger

I don't buy used games either and I think digital distribution will make this policy less of an issue later in the generation.

That said, many 3rd parties already have online passes for their games meaning if you buy a used game you have to buy an online pass if you want to play multiplayer. That's why so many games are forcing in multiplayer. It's become a requirement as a way to limit used game distribution. Ubisoft and EA already do this for their games. So DRM already exists on current gen in a way.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jun 14, 2013 -> 02:36 PM)
Lol. The used game market is dead.

Really? I love trading in a game i passed in 5 hours (like Bioshock infinite) and at least get 30 bucks in return that i can put towards another game. I dont know how much money ive saved on buying games by trading in older ones as opposed to paying 65 dollars every single time i buy one.

Can't wait till I can stream Netflix, Hulu, HBO Go, MLB.tv, etc. on my PS4 w/o paying a dime. I may then play games, not connect to the internet for days at a time, and fully enjoy them -- still without a subscription! Then...I can head to Gamestop and actually have a prayer of getting a used game for my console.

Also -- won't the DRM kill game rentals?

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 14, 2013 -> 03:53 PM)
I don't buy used games either and I think digital distribution will make this policy less of an issue later in the generation.

That said, many 3rd parties already have online passes for their games meaning if you buy a used game you have to buy an online pass if you want to play multiplayer. That's why so many games are forcing in multiplayer. It's become a requirement as a way to limit used game distribution. Ubisoft and EA already do this for their games. So DRM already exists on current gen in a way.

I've bought the last few Assasin's Creed games used and then traded them back in when I was done. I don't play games nearly as much as I used to so when I'm done with a game now I just turn it in for what I can get. I rarely play multiplayer anymore.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 14, 2013 -> 03:15 PM)
Unfortunately as of now HBO GO is not on Playstation :(

Thankfully I have a Samsung that gets it :D

Okay, then. f*** PS4. Does either one get BTN2Go yet?

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ Jun 14, 2013 -> 03:11 PM)
Really? I love trading in a game i passed in 5 hours (like Bioshock infinite) and at least get 30 bucks in return that i can put towards another game. I dont know how much money ive saved on buying games by trading in older ones as opposed to paying 65 dollars every single time i buy one.

motherf***er you need to find a redbox if you're dropping games after 5 hours