Sox were scouting Javier Vazquez

Baron

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jan 10, 2013 -> 11:11 AM)
Vazquez has had a few good seasons in the NL (one of them real good), Floyd's on-the-surface numbers haven't really looked good since 2008.

But Javy's been out of baseball for a whole year, not to mention he's on the wrong side of 35.

He had more than one really good season in the NL...but those were a long, long time ago...

I'd take him on this particular squad though.

With the word being he only wants to play for a contender im not sure why HE would seriously consider us or the red sox right now. And i agree with pretty much everyone else on this one. No way to Javi. I dont care what he has left, he was one of THE most frustrating pitchers to watch in the last decade. All the talk and flashes of talent dont make up for 5 innings of dominant baseball, followed immediately by a complete breakdown n putting the team in a hole. Thats not an innings eater to me, its an innings waster. Good luck in DC there "big game".

QUOTE (PtownSoxfan @ Jan 10, 2013 -> 12:38 PM)
With the word being he only wants to play for a contender im not sure why HE would seriously consider us or the red sox right now. And i agree with pretty much everyone else on this one. No way to Javi. I dont care what he has left, he was one of THE most frustrating pitchers to watch in the last decade. All the talk and flashes of talent dont make up for 5 innings of dominant baseball, followed immediately by a complete breakdown n putting the team in a hole. Thats not an innings eater to me, its an innings waster. Good luck in DC there "big game".

Um, the White Sox spent 2/3 of last season in first place. People here may not want to admit it, but they're a contender until they're out of the race.

Stop me if you have heard this one before...

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/...pe-of-his-life/

Alex Cora, manager of Javier Vazquez‘s winter league team, commenting on his pitcher:

“He’s been great,” Cora said. “Right now, he’s the Javy Vazquez who pitched well in the second half of the 2011 season. … Physically, he’s in the best shape of his life. It’s funny, he was here in the summer and he was playing tennis and I helped him play. He started doing CrossFit … His command is still there but his stuff is better now.”

QUOTE (SI1020 @ Jan 18, 2013 -> 03:00 PM)
Absolutely not. I mean should we look at the Alomar brothers and Ken Griffey Jr. again too?

Because unlike those 3, Javier Vazquez was pretty good as recently as 2011 and, like Rios, he's an every other year player (if you are to believe that).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 10, 2013 -> 11:18 AM)
They've been in the boat of needing to get something useful back if they traded Floyd because of how their rotation stacks up. Signing a guy like Vazquez could be the insurance that lets them dump Floyd for nothing but cash.

There's enough pitching starved teams out there that would give up something decent for Gavin...just doesn't make sense to dump him for cash IMO.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Jan 18, 2013 -> 04:22 PM)
There's enough pitching starved teams out there that would give up something decent for Gavin...just doesn't make sense to dump him for cash IMO.

Those teams can still get quality pitchers for cash, or at the worst cash and a draft pick, if they want.