Healthy Eating Thread

witesoxfan

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Way to go Reddy, your quinoa (pronounced keen-wa) obsession has led to skyrocketing prices, to the point of which the locals that once lived on the staple food can no longer afford to buy it.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/20...le-truth-quinoa

"The appetite of countries such as ours for this grain has pushed up prices to such an extent that poorer people in Peru and Bolivia, for whom it was once a nourishing staple food, can no longer afford to eat it. Imported junk food is cheaper."

So for you to be healthier, you're making poor people unhealthy.

Good going you fruit baskets.

Oh, I'm eating a side of quinoa for lunch today. Full disclosure. It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Apr 12, 2013 -> 12:21 PM)
Way to go Reddy, your quinoa (pronounced keen-wa) obsession has led to skyrocketing prices, to the point of which the locals that once lived on the staple food can no longer afford to buy it.

"The appetite of countries such as ours for this grain has pushed up prices to such an extent that poorer people in Peru and Bolivia, for whom it was once a nourishing staple food, can no longer afford to eat it. Imported junk food is cheaper."

Oh, I'm eating a side of quinoa for lunch today. Full disclosure. It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.

That's a cool story. I have some quinoa at the house - I should sell that s*** for profit.

It is f***ing delicious, I'll probably make some curry-flavored tonight.

haha guess what!? I've pretty much stopped eating quinoa anyway. :P

but yeah, stuff like that has me conflicted. do i care about my own health more than the lives of farmers in Peru? ......... kinda?

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 12, 2013 -> 02:34 PM)
That's just stupid. Clearly she doesn't only live on ramen noodles as she'd be bloated and miserable. #mediastunt

well... she's gonna die from it so... not sure if it's really a media stunt.

girl has the health #s of an 80 year old.

• 2 months later...
QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Jul 1, 2013 -> 05:11 PM)
You are at a salad bar and the only dressing choices are Ranch & French. You know nothing about ingredients or nutritional value of either. Which is the better choice? Assume you like both equally.

Trick question. If I know nothing about nutritional value and like them both equally then my brain simply explodes.

Been eating well and exercising recently and it's starting to show, thankfully. I tried on some jeans yesterday and I'm back down to a size that I haven't been for about six years. :headbang I was chuffed with myself - great motivation to keep up the work.

QUOTE (Joxer_Daly @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 08:50 AM)
Been eating well and exercising recently and it's starting to show, thankfully. I tried on some jeans yesterday and I'm back down to a size that I haven't been for about six years. :headbang I was chuffed with myself - great motivation to keep up the work.

Great job, man!

Once you start you can't stop!

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 02:51 PM)
Great job, man!

Once you start you can't stop!

Yeah, it's just keeping the momentum going that's so important. And, trying to stay injury-free so as not to have to stop. Once you stop, it can be literally years before getting back into the swing of it.

Thanks, man.

QUOTE (Joxer_Daly @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 08:56 AM)
Yeah, it's just keeping the momentum going that's so important. And, trying to stay injury-free so as not to have to stop. Once you stop, it can be literally years before getting back into the swing of it.

Thanks, man.

Injury free is key. I dealt with "runner's knee" for a long time. A combination of a knee band and workouts to strengthen the area around my patella tendon have me back dominating.

QUOTE (Joxer_Daly @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 08:50 AM)

Good work man. I've been trying to shape up a bit, but the damn calories in alcohol always sidetrack me. :lol:

With the hockey playoffs finally done, it should be easier to stay on course.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 09:38 AM)
Good work man. I've been trying to shape up a bit, but the damn calories in alcohol always sidetrack me. :lol:

With the hockey playoffs finally done, it should be easier to stay on course.

I'm not drinking in July to see what benefits I see. We'll see if I can do it.

Second on the salad bar thing, sometimes you dont realize it but there is olive oil and vinegar there somewhere, I usually combine those to make a dressing if all they have is creamy s***.

My shoulder surgery and stress fractures in my shins have completely derailed my progress. Can't wait to keep getting healthy and back to training for my marathon and thus be on the track to looking a little better.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 10:03 AM)
I'm not drinking in July to see what benefits I see. We'll see if I can do it.

Whatever happened to that contest you and your buddy had to see which of you could go longer without drinking/smoking?

QUOTE (farmteam @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 10:32 AM)
Whatever happened to that contest you and your buddy had to see which of you could go longer without drinking/smoking?

Neither lasted more than a week.

This time im all over it though. I had a blowout in New Orleans this last weekend and im dry now.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 10:06 AM)
My shoulder surgery and stress fractures in my shins have completely derailed my progress. Can't wait to keep getting healthy and back to training for my marathon and thus be on the track to looking a little better.

Ouch those are a pain! I accrued those from being in the army and doing idiotic 12 mile runs every friday on treacherous terrain. I first got them in 2006 and to this day I havent completely got rid of them. Ive accepted the fact that if I want to run, its just going to hurt no matter what.

Edited by flippedoutpunk

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 08:03 AM)
Second on the salad bar thing, sometimes you dont realize it but there is olive oil and vinegar there somewhere, I usually combine those to make a dressing if all they have is creamy s***.

I really think this is unsustainable...just use moderation...if you are eating a healthy salad, for pete's sake, treat yourself to a little ranch or whatever the heck dressing you want. That doesn't mean pour it all over the thing, but jeesh, don't be afraid of it because it has a little fat in it. If you work out somewhat regularly (3-ish times a week), and you are already eating salad for your lunch or dinner, have some damn dressing and enjoy the thing. A little fat helps your body digest all the vegetables more easily anyway.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 11:05 AM)
I really think this is unsustainable...just use moderation...if you are eating a healthy salad, for pete's sake, treat yourself to a little ranch or whatever the heck dressing you want. That doesn't mean pour it all over the thing, but jeesh, don't be afraid of it because it has a little fat in it. If you work out somewhat regularly (3-ish times a week), and you are already eating salad for your lunch or dinner, have some damn dressing and enjoy the thing. A little fat helps your body digest all the vegetables more easily anyway.

Thats what the oil is for.

I actually prefer vinegary dressings over that other stuff, but to each his own.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 09:12 AM)
Thats what the oil is for.

I actually prefer vinegary dressings over that other stuff, but to each his own.

Yeah, the olive oil can play the same role...I like olive oil on a salad with more greens in it...I prefer ranch on salads with more colorful veggies. I eat a salad every day at work which consists of cucumbers, bell peppers, tomato, hard-boiled eggs, shredded carrot, etc...I put a decent amount of ranch on it..something like that is still going to be very healthy overall, and as long as you don't eat like absolute s*** at other meals and you get off your ass once in awhile and workout, it's really not going to make a difference.