Official 2013-2014 NCAA Football Thread

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 8, 2013 -> 06:44 PM)
We added Hawaii in the hopes in 5 years they will be good again. Its like playing the stock market.

I mean, look at if you scheduled Baylor 10 years ago. Big 12 especially is in an interesting shakeup mode right now.

The only reason this is coming up is b/c it looks like there may be 3-4 undefeateds so people are trying to figure that out. If this was 2007 OSU would be in catbird seat and nobody would give a s***. But even if that were the case, I'd still say B1G sucks this year and be fine with it.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 8, 2013 -> 11:42 AM)
The best conference in the country has 5-6 teams that would qualify as not good. Duke has a chance to be in the ACC title game. The leader in the Pac lost to a 4-4 terrible Utah team. Everyone has "warts."

The Big ten is by no means a great conference, but there are 3 legit teams in there including a team that has a 21 game winning streak and MSU with the best defense in the country. It's not "horrible" like everyone wants to believe.

I count 3-4 teams. Colorado, Wazzu, & Cal. I think Utah is better than you give them credit for, but I guess they still aren't good. That's still 8 teams that are good, far better than in the Big Ten.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 8, 2013 -> 11:48 AM)
I count 3-4 teams. Colorado, Wazzu, & Cal. I think Utah is better than you give them credit for, but I guess they still aren't good. That's still 8 teams that are good, far better than in the Big Ten.

Utah is 1-4 in conference play. Washington, Wazzu, Cal, USC, Utah and Colorado are not good. Arizona has beaten nobody. Its an easy game to play for each conference.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 8, 2013 -> 06:41 PM)
You do realize most conferences have 2-3 good teams?

Where are these unicorn conferences with all great teams?

Florida beat Toledo so they are awesome?!?!?!

Georgia beat North Texas!!!

Auburn beat Wash St by 7 @ Auburn, AMAZING!!!

What exactly makes you believe in other conferences so much, when every other conference is as insulated as the big10?

Its all hype, no one really has a clue how good any of these mid- low level teams are.

Ok, great.

But I'd take Alabama LSU Auburn Ole Miss Texas A&M Mizzou USC and UGA over the top 8 of b1g with a healthy margin. Doesn't mean OSU UW and MSU wouldn't win 3/4 to all games over those teams, just means there are 8 good teams there that when beaten are impressive wins. I just don't think people feel that way over wins vs Minnesota, Nebraska or PSU right now, though PSU probably closest.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 8, 2013 -> 11:29 AM)
Yeah Wisconsin is only planning on playing some no name teams like LSU and Alabama.

Because you know, its the first time the SEC was willing to agree to play Wisconsin. Because you know, they refuse to play @ Camp Randall or when its cold. Because you know, thats what good teams do.

LOL

SEC has been dodging Big 10 teams for years. They only wanted to play in neutral sites in the South.

You sound like a mid major college basketball fan.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Nov 8, 2013 -> 11:59 AM)
You sound like a mid major college basketball fan.

Its true though, SEC teams dont come up north to play.

All of this will become moot so I hope everyone is enjoying the debate. I believe with the playoff in the future, winning your conference is a pre-req which gives power conference winners about an 80% chance to be in the playoff if you win your conference. When it goes to 16 teams we'll finally be where we need to be.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 8, 2013 -> 11:52 AM)
Utah is 1-4 in conference play. Washington, Wazzu, Cal, USC, Utah and Colorado are not good. Arizona has beaten nobody. Its an easy game to play for each conference.

I'd take UW & Kiffin-less SC over the bottom 9 of the Big Ten anyday. Those are the two conferences I mostly watch and overall the level of play doesn't compare IMO.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 8, 2013 -> 12:31 PM)
I'd take UW & Kiffin-less SC over the bottom 9 of the Big Ten anyday. Those are the two conferences I mostly watch and overall the level of play doesn't compare IMO.

You may see some of those matchups in bowl season.

FSU hasn't been relevant in 13 years? They were in a BCS bowl last season. And they've finished the season in the top 25 every single season since 1987, and since 2000, they've been top 15 four times and been in 4 BCS bowls. They were an upset to NC State away from the National Championship game last season, too.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Nov 8, 2013 -> 01:04 PM)
FSU hasn't been relevant in 13 years? They were in a BCS bowl last season. And they've finished the season in the top 25 every single season since 1987, and since 2000, they've been top 15 four times and been in 4 BCS bowls. They were an upset to NC State away from the National Championship game last season, too.

Last year they started their climb, but no. They've had at least 3 losses every year since 2000. They finished top ten once (last year) at 10. Thats not up to FSU standards and its certainly not "relevant" in the national title conversation.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 8, 2013 -> 12:08 PM)
The Big is awful because that is what ESPN tells you.

Havent played anybody?

Alabama has played 0 ranked OOC games.

FSU 0 ranked OOC games

Its impossible to tell how good any of these teams are. But OSU hasnt lost in 2 years, and that should mean something.

They do play Florida every year. Florida just happens to not be very good this year, which is one of the first times in what, the past 10-12 years?

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Nov 8, 2013 -> 01:42 PM)
They do play Florida every year. Florida just happens to not be very good this year, which is one of the first times in what, the past 10-12 years?

Having a team on your schedule thats recently won two BCS titles is definitely supposed to help you.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Nov 8, 2013 -> 03:04 PM)

You are off in two areas.

FSU has played in BCS Bowls in 2001(Orange),2003(Sugar),2004(Orange),2006(Orange) and 2013(Orange). 5 BCS appearances.

FSU finished unranked in 2006,2007 and 2009.

I'm just going to keep my mouth shut, not worry about any other team, and enjoy the team that Coach Fisher has put on the field. I'm beyond pumped to go to the game tomorrow. It will be my first one since the bowl game vs ND a couple years ago. Shocked I have a weekend off.

QUOTE (chimpy2121 @ Nov 8, 2013 -> 05:00 PM)
I'm just going to keep my mouth shut, not worry about any other team, and enjoy the team that Coach Fisher has put on the field. I'm beyond pumped to go to the game tomorrow. It will be my first one since the bowl game vs ND a couple years ago. Shocked I have a weekend off.

This is a good strategy considering how many ignorant opinions have been in this thread in the past day.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Nov 8, 2013 -> 09:14 PM)
The uni's look so badass, it sucks that people are offended by them.

I don't know if it sucks that people are offended by him, I think it sucks that they made a uniform that offends some people.

I'm glad they are raising money, but when someone in that position writes something like that, I listen.

And the blood smattering thing is weird. Everyone sees that, it was just poorly done.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Nov 8, 2013 -> 11:05 PM)
I don't know if it sucks that people are offended by him, I think it sucks that they made a uniform that offends some people.

I'm glad they are raising money, but when someone in that position writes something like that, I listen.

And the blood smattering thing is weird. Everyone sees that, it was just poorly done.

You can sneeze and offend people these days. If people are offended by a piece of clothing, let alone one that has good intentions, then that's a sad statement on our society. I don't care who is offended by it or what they've done, it's sad to let fabric offend you.

Also, not everyone sees the blood. On first glance I thought of worn clothes style, which is common these days. I think seeing blood is seeing what you want to see.

I feel like I'm part of the problem by even commenting on it. It doesn't merit discussion.

QUOTE (chimpy2121 @ Nov 8, 2013 -> 04:00 PM)

Your boys are certainly in the drivers seat. If it finished the way it is today I'm sure everyone would be rooting for the Noles, I know I would.