Official 2013-2014 NCAA Football Thread

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chimpy2121 @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 02:17 PM)
This is just straight devil's advocate in this question, not trying to assume anything.

If you got raped, would you go to a fraternity party a week later?

Honest question.

Me? No, but I wouldn't be there anyways.

Also, people cope with things differently, I had a thing with a girl in high school who admitted that she thinks she was raped by a guy when unconscious from alcohol, but there she is drinking and wanting to hook up while telling the story. Sometimes doing things that seem terribly wrong or out of place is a way to cope and get back to the things you wanted to do.

QUOTE (chimpy2121 @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 02:17 PM)
This is just straight devil's advocate in this question, not trying to assume anything.

If you got raped, would you go to a fraternity party a week later?

Honest question.

It depends. I was in a fraternity in school and was generally cordial with other fraternities, but there were still some I'd stay away from, and different houses had different connotations and reputations throughout my years there. There were definitely houses I ignored because of experiences I had there, and there were others I had no problem going to so long as it was cool. Hell, my best friend was a founding father of a new fraternity there and they just lived in a house while they colonized. I still had loyalty to my fraternity, but I got to know those guys so well that I'd just go over on a Friday or Saturday night and party with them.

It's slightly different because of my experience, but if she had good friends in one and just happened to end up at the other because there was a party there, it makes total sense.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 03:15 PM)
Unfortunately, that is very normal for a "witness" to any event, particularly a traumatic one. Memory sucks, and it gets worse with time.

Including taking so many shots she didn't even remember the cab home? But then not being drunk at all? She could be an unfortunate victim who will not get justice or she could have just made it up. It's a he-said, she-said but there were many holes in her story it seems.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 02:27 PM)
It depends. I was in a fraternity in school and was generally cordial with other fraternities, but there were still some I'd stay away from, and different houses had different connotations and reputations throughout my years there. There were definitely houses I ignored because of experiences I had there, and there were others I had no problem going to so long as it was cool. Hell, my best friend was a founding father of a new fraternity there and they just lived in a house while they colonized. I still had loyalty to my fraternity, but I got to know those guys so well that I'd just go over on a Friday or Saturday night and party with them.

It's slightly different because of my experience, but if she had good friends in one and just happened to end up at the other because there was a party there, it makes total sense.

I was close friends with a girl who was raped and she went out the next weekend to get hammered to forget. People react in different ways. She could easily have a mood disorder where her manic side drives her to act crazy and she copes with it with depression and memory loss.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 04:46 PM)
Apparently she will be filing a civil suit against him.

Major mistake by her based on what I've read by someone with major connections to FSU and other FBS programs.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 02:51 PM)
Unless there's evidence we haven't been told about yet, that's going to go nowhere.

Well, he was prosecuted because they didnt think they'd win, it takes less evidence in civil court at times to get a decision your way.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 03:34 PM)
Including taking so many shots she didn't even remember the cab home? But then not being drunk at all? She could be an unfortunate victim who will not get justice or she could have just made it up. It's a he-said, she-said but there were many holes in her story it seems.

I hate this kind of thinking because this is getting really close to "it was her own fault if it happened".

Also, if I'm Jameis Winston and I truly was innocent, I'd make it a point to sue this person for defamation of character.

Suing her isn't going to do any good because she's a college girl and probably has no money/assets.

I do wonder if she follows through with her own suit if her attorney can be held liable for any damage to future earnings due to character assassination or whatever.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 03:56 PM)
I hate this kind of thinking because this is getting really close to "it was her own fault if it happened".

Absolutely not at all what I said. Do you go out of your way to warp people's words? Or do you just feel some sort of obligation to take the opposite side of every single issue? My post was a further example of things that have changed in her story. That information came from the released affidavit today so it's not just some theory. In no way was I victim blaming. I was pointing out a huge example of what you were previously trying to defend.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 03:57 PM)
Suing her isn't going to do any good because she's a college girl and probably has no money/assets.

I do wonder if she follows through with her own suit if her attorney can be held liable for any damage to future earnings due to character assassination or whatever.

I feel like an attorney shouldn't have to be faced with something like that?

And it wouldn't even be about any sort of monetary gain. But if I was innocent of something like this and the person accusing me then proceeded with a civil suit, I would bring one right back at them for defamation. If he's not exactly innocent it's of course a completely difference scenario

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 04:05 PM)
Absolutely not at all what I said. Do you go out of your way to warp people's words? Or do you just feel some sort of obligation to take the opposite side of every single issue? My post was a further example of things that have changed in her story. That information came from the released affidavit today so it's not just some theory. In no way was I victim blaming. I was pointing out a huge example of what you were previously trying to defend.

Oh, ok, I get you, my apologies I misunderstood that you were specifically saying that was part of her story that changed. My bad, I read it as you saying the alcohol was a reason why her story shouldn't be believed.

(That said...having a substantial quantity of alcohol is very much a reason why her story might have changed over time).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 04:18 PM)
Oh, ok, I get you, my apologies I misunderstood that you were specifically saying that was part of her story that changed. My bad, I read it as you saying the alcohol was a reason why her story shouldn't be believed.

(That said...having a substantial quantity of alcohol is very much a reason why her story might have changed over time).

Agreed. But her BAC was found to be .04

Look, no one knows right now what happened, but there are clearly holes. The accuser's attorney has said very specifically that the accuser was not intoxicated, but her story has been reported to have been different earlier on too. It's looks to be pretty clear that the DA didn't have much to go on here.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 04:28 PM)
Agreed. But her BAC was found to be .04

Look, no one knows right now what happened, but there are clearly holes. The accuser's attorney has said very specifically that the accuser was not intoxicated, but her story has been reported to have been different earlier on too. It's looks to be pretty clear that the DA didn't have much to go on here.

The point I'd stress is...if Winston raped her...her story would still have holes. That's just how witness stories are. His story would probably have an equal number of holes, perhaps more again depending on alcohol content.

But you're right, that's why it's difficult to prosecute these cases...especially if there isn't an instant reaction. If there's no corroborating witness and no obvious physical trauma recorded by a medical profession or investigator...it comes down to a he said/she said case.

Big ten recruiting just sucks. There was a player on SVSM tonight in ohio that only has an offer from Akron but could play for Illinois. Mr ohio going to OSU is on his team and he's twice the player. This is why the big ten lags. The MAC shouldn't get any of these "fringe" guys.