Official 2013-2014 NCAA Football Thread

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 05:36 PM)
They didn't improve? OK then.

What were your expectations for this year?

Not what I said. I said Beckman being credited for improving his dumpster fire coaching job in year one is ridiculous.

Probably what they did. Those expectations were thanks to a terrible coach.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 11:50 AM)
Not what I said. I said Beckman being credited for improving his dumpster fire coaching job in year one is ridiculous.

Not all of last year was his fault, but if you want to pin it all on him, I guess there's nothing we can do to stop you.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 06:51 PM)
I also don't understand blaming Beckman for last year, those weren't his players and they were expected to suck, how is that his fault?

They weren't really expected to suck that year. They had a top 15 defense the year before which they lost some talent off of, but had three guys get drafted and a fourth who would have been (but had to return due to injury). Maybe they were meant to suck, but not let's give up 52 points at home to a WAC team suck.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 11:50 AM)

Those expectations weren't all due to a terrible coach, it was due to a terrible program and roster as well.

Again, not sure what you wanted or expected this year.

Far from the first coach to take over a program and suck the first year, especially taking over a team that tanked the 2nd half of last year (and was a mirage the first half). And got their coach fired. And the DC left.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 12:02 PM)
They weren't really expected to suck that year. They had a top 15 defense the year before which they lost some talent off of, but had three guys get drafted and a fourth who would have been (but had to return due to injury). Maybe they were meant to suck, but not let's give up 52 points at home to a WAC team suck.

They weren't supposed to be good if you remember the end of 2011. And DC left. And that talent as you said.

LOL at La Tech being a s***ty WAC team. 57 against A&M.

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 12:21 PM)
Those expectations weren't all due to a terrible coach, it was due to a terrible program and roster as well.

Again, not sure what you wanted or expected this year.

Far from the first coach to take over a program and suck the first year, especially taking over a team that tanked the 2nd half of last year (and was a mirage the first half). And got their coach fired. And the DC left.

They weren't supposed to be good if you remember the end of 2011. And DC left. And that talent as you said.

LOL at La Tech being a s***ty WAC team. 57 against A&M.

It's probably worth mentioning that they lost their top wide receiver, corner, defensive lineman, and offensive lineman without having suitable replacements, let alone any depth. Add in some injury issues and lack of buy in by the players to exacerbate the depth concerns, and you have one abomination of a season on your hands.

Obviously, if Beckman hadn't sucked at hiring coaches in his first staff, we might have won another game or two, but there is no way to know for sure exactly what could have been.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 12:29 PM)
Holy s*** that LA Tech team scored 618 points in 12 games, 51.5 PPG

Illinois does a great job of non-conference scheduling.

Just once I would love to hear from you guys why you believe Beckman can be successful as a coach at Illinois. The list on why he cant be is certainly long and laid out. All I here ever in this discussion is excuse after excuse to the point where we are justifying 28 point home losses to WAC teams.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

I kind of split the difference between the two arguing camps on Beckman: Yes, he was an absolutely reach of a hire and in his 2 years has done way more to earn the label "incompetent buffoon" than "capable B1G head coach;" and yes, as much as he probably should be fired now (and almost certainly will be next year), firing a HC after only two years just typically isn't done for a reason, and an AD can do more long-term damage to a program by doing that, than by keeping a horrible coach one extra year.

I really don't see anything positive at all about the guy.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 12:50 PM)
Just once I would love to hear from you guys why you believe Beckman can be successful as a coach at Illinois. The list on why he cant be is certainly long and laid out. All I here ever in this discussion is excuse after excuse to the point where we are justifying 28 point home losses to WAC teams.

If you've read me over the past two football seasons, you know I don't.

But, I understand the logic behind the 3rd year at this point. Two separate arguments.

I will hope I'm wrong and root like hell for them next year as I did this year.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 01:48 PM)
I kind of split the difference between the two arguing camps on Beckman: Yes, he was an absolutely reach of a hire and in his 2 years has done way more to earn the label "incompetent buffoon" than "capable B1G head coach;" and yes, as much as he probably should be fired now (and almost certainly will be next year), firing a HC after only two years just typically isn't done for a reason, and an AD can do more long-term damage to a program by doing that, than by keeping a horrible coach one extra year.

I really don't see anything positive at all about the guy.

My thinking is, what harm is there to fire the guy and start over? He's not bringing in tons of awesome recruits that might decommit. It's not like he's got some amazing scheme that the roster has been molded for. We're at the bottom of the barrel anyway. This just isn't a case where the program would be set back another few years because the new coach would have to start from scratch.

How is losing next year and firing Beckman then any different from where they are right now?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 02:26 PM)
My thinking is, what harm is there to fire the guy and start over? He's not bringing in tons of awesome recruits that might decommit. It's not like he's got some amazing scheme that the roster has been molded for. We're at the bottom of the barrel anyway. This just isn't a case where the program would be set back another few years because the new coach would have to start from scratch.

How is losing next year and firing Beckman then any different from where they are right now?

To me, it really isn't different at all, except for the fact that you've then become the school that was so desperate that it violated the unwritten "at least three years" rule that, like it or not, applies to even the s***tiest of head coaches. When your AD has a sketchy reputation to begin with, you don't want to complicate matters by being "that school." I think that could hamper and slow the rebuild (and the ones after that), both with respect to recruiting and hiring.

Now if you're talking about firing Thomas and Beckman together, that would mitigate that perception, but that certainly won't happen.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 02:26 PM)

Probably who would take the job, as outlined above.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 03:29 PM)
Dino Babers would leave Charleston in two seconds flat, let's not kid ourselves.

Perhaps, but 95% of people would respond with "wait, we hired an Ohio Valley conference guy after a MAC guy didn't work? Who the f*** is this guy?"

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 03:00 PM)
To me, it really isn't different at all, except for the fact that you've then become the school that was so desperate that it violated the unwritten "at least three years" rule that, like it or not, applies to even the s***tiest of head coaches. When your AD has a sketchy reputation to begin with, you don't want to complicate matters by being "that school." I think that could hamper and slow the rebuild (and the ones after that), both with respect to recruiting and hiring.

Now if you're talking about firing Thomas and Beckman together, that would mitigate that perception, but that certainly won't happen.

Honestly I've never heard of the unwritten "at least three years" rule, and if there is such a thing, i think it's pretty stupid. Again, tell me who in their right mind thinks 1-18 in conference play in two years is acceptable, even for a guy taking over a s***ty roster (which we've established isn't really THAT s***ty given the defense they had last year and the offense they had this year).

I've never heard of Thomas having a sketchy reputation. What's the back story there?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 04:40 PM)
Honestly I've never heard of the unwritten "at least three years" rule, and if there is such a thing, i think it's pretty stupid. Again, tell me who in their right mind thinks 1-18 in conference play in two years is acceptable, even for a guy taking over a s***ty roster (which we've established isn't really THAT s***ty given the defense they had last year and the offense they had this year).

I've never heard of Thomas having a sketchy reputation. What's the back story there?

I'm not sure where anyone said it's "acceptable."

But let me correct you, it's 1-15.

You're going to have to make me do this, since you've now posted it twice. Do you know what Ron Zook's BT record was his first 2 years?

1-15. And 4-19 overall.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 04:49 PM)
I'm not sure where anyone said it's "acceptable."

But let me correct you, it's 1-15.

You're going to have to make me do this, since you've now posted it twice. Do you know what Ron Zook's BT record was his first 2 years?

1-15. And 4-19 overall.

Really? Is that the bar you want to set?

Zook at least brought in some top recruits. His first year he signed two 5 star guys. His 2nd and 3rd year were probably two of the top recruiting classes in the programs history. Has Beckman done that?

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 05:40 PM)
Butch Davis wants a job.

Not the greatest of gameday coaches but I'd take him over anyone when it comes to evaluating talent/recruits.

He would've been what Saban is now if he would've stayed at Miami for another 5 seasons.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 05:15 PM)
Really? Is that the bar you want to set?

Zook at least brought in some top recruits. His first year he signed two 5 star guys. His 2nd and 3rd year were probably two of the top recruiting classes in the programs history. Has Beckman done that?

Nice backpedal.

What bar am I setting? There's been all this talk about Zook around here. Same thing happened in his first 2 years. Were you calling for his firing then too? Or did you want to give him a chance to get his systems put in place and some consistency going?

The point is, coaches have turned things around in year 3. Whether or not Beckman does that, I don't know.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 06:13 PM)
His point was simple. No one would be calling for Beckman's head if he was signing top recruits left and right.

Bulls***. People absolutely still would, who are you kidding.

But, I'm not sure you can expect a great class with this program and these results right now. IMO, you need to play above what your recruiting class says and get results on the field, and that's when recruiting takes off. I can't really fault him right now for not having a great recruiting class. He has to get it done with the guys on the roster right now. It sucks, but it's the reality of the situation.

Anyway, he tried to make a point after throwing out the record when he didn't realize Zook did the same thing in his first 2 years. Until I brought that up, there was nothing brought up about recruiting.