Engagement Rings

iamshack

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 18, 2013 -> 11:58 AM)
So looking at honeymoon destinations. Going to try and keep this relatively affordable because we're way over budget on the wedding at this point. Probably going to leave the 28th or 29th of April, and go for 6 nights.

Heard http://www.capellahotels.com/ixtapa/default-en.html is pretty awesome.

Anyone ever been?

Was at the one in Cabo, really nice. If you are looking to go that route, this place is even better http://www.nizuc.com/

and I like Riveria Maya better than Cabo. The Garden Pool Villas are fantastic for a honeymoon.

Fun sox related stuff we did at our wedding: Pictures on the field and in the dugout, had a jersey for everyone to sign instead of a guest book (was a great idea except for my idiot friend who wrote "go cubs" on it; and had Ozzie give a message to congratulate us. That was the coolest part. He said a message in Spanish telling my wife that she was making a huge mistake and to run away. Then he gave us a nice blessing in English. We played it up really well as like an awards show and my buddies presented the "Best greeting from a person who couldn't attend the wedding" category. And we had a bunch of people on there who couldn't come. It was pretty funny.

QUOTE (docsox24 @ Feb 25, 2014 -> 01:25 PM)
Was at the one in Cabo, really nice. If you are looking to go that route, this place is even better http://www.nizuc.com/

and I like Riveria Maya better than Cabo. The Garden Pool Villas are fantastic for a honeymoon.

Fun sox related stuff we did at our wedding: Pictures on the field and in the dugout, had a jersey for everyone to sign instead of a guest book (was a great idea except for my idiot friend who wrote "go cubs" on it; and had Ozzie give a message to congratulate us. That was the coolest part. He said a message in Spanish telling my wife that she was making a huge mistake and to run away. Then he gave us a nice blessing in English. We played it up really well as like an awards show and my buddies presented the "Best greeting from a person who couldn't attend the wedding" category. And we had a bunch of people on there who couldn't come. It was pretty funny.

Doc! Good to hear from you again! I remember seeing the Ozzie video...that was some funny s***!

Ultimately we decided on Maui...sister in law works for Hyatt so we got a really good rate, and neither of us have ever been to Hawaii. Should be a lot of fun!

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 25, 2014 -> 06:14 PM)
If you do the road to Hanna, go all the way around. The road on the backside was fine, at least in 2005, and the contrast from the rainforest side was incredible.

Ehh, I would suggest they not. My wife and I did that in Oct 2010 and the back half was LSD potholes times 1000. I guess they could have fixed it, but I doubt it since about 5 people live back there. I was legitimately nervous that our convertible was going to get a flat tire or bent rim or something. It was unavoidable with the condition of the road.

I mean, it was cool because it was an adventure - we saw one car in about 2 hours of driving - but the road was awful and you see a lot of "poor desert" (starving animals and run down farms). Also, if you f*** up your rental it's not covered since they tell you straight away that you are not to drive back there. If you get a Jeep it might be ok though. I will say the end of our drive was pretty nice. Once we got back up the mountain it started to rain and we pulled over and stopped at some random winery and ended up having some interesting pineapple wine on a big estate.

Shack - we stayed at the Hyatt and loved it. The pool area is pretty cool and even has a grotto with a bar. We also loved walking west along the beach for miles on the nice path and/or the beach through the other hotel properties. There are some nice shops, restaurants and bars along the way. Also you should skip the luau at the hotel (unless you get a good deal). Check out the one in Old Lahaina. Considered one of the best in all of Hawaii. And spend an afternoon in that town just walking around and reading up on the history.

Grab this book: http://www.amazon.com/Maui-Revealed-The-Ul...=dp_ob_title_bk When you take your drives it points out off-road spots to check out. Definitely worth it.

If you do Molokini crater let me know. Ill look up who we went through and let you know. Our captain was a Chicago guy wearing a Bears hat. He was awesome. We talked about "home" for the majority of the drive to/from the crater and he let my wife drive the boat for a while. The staff was great too.

Also, grab a reservation at Mama's Fish House. Some of the best seafood i've ever had. Totally worth the hype/cost.

Hit up any fruit stand you pass and try every fruit they have. Some of them will blow you away. Some will be awful. But still totally worth it.

Lastly, save your money, head to a local supermarket, grab a minimum of 10 gallons of POG juice (or take containers to the buffet in the morning and fill it up) and some light, local rum and go to town. Skip the 8 dollar mai tai's at the bar (at least for some of the days). You can't get POG juice easily back in the states and you'll miss it after you leave.

Sigh, I miss Hawaii. We're renting a beach house with friends next February and the wait is already killing me.

We did the drive in August 2011, and it was fine as far as potholes go. It's an adventure, and the back half you're driving like 5-10 miles an hour one some of the crazy turns, but it was still very fun. Tons of places to stop and get out and take pictures or go on a small hike. I found the back half of the drive pretty cool, although part of me was like one small twitch of the wheel, and we drop hundreds of feet off this cliff. Not for the faint of heart. But the views on that side were cool. And it's way quicker to get back, IIRC.

I will say his rec of that book is on point, we did a lot of hikes and it helped a ton. Fish House was worth it, as well. And I can rec the luau in Old Lahaina. Jenks, I think we had the same trip minus a few things.

Also, go get some shave ice here: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews...aui_Hawaii.html

It's epic, and then you'll go back about 10 times like I did. So damn good.

If you go see the sunrise at Haleakala National Park, which is pretty cool, do it on the first or second night you're there. That way when you're waking up at like 4am, it will feel a lot later, and it's not that hard to do. We drove it ourselves on our own schedule, and didn't bike down. Frankly, the bike down seemed like it'd be a nonstop turning and holding of the hand brakes, so I don't know how fun it would be. Bring plenty of layers, it's way colder than you'd think up there. People had their hotel robes and their comforters, which was pretty funny, but also smart. You don't want to pack heavy stuff but maybe some under armour or something for underneath.

If you go scuba diving, just go rent some stuff yourselves and head to any of the many beaches. Cheap rental stuff and you can be on your own schedule instead of paying through the nose for one of the pre-planned things. Just my opinion. I think the place we used was called Snorkel Bob's.

Also, fruit water at the hotel is the best.

Oh and sunscreen all day every day. The sun seems about 100x stronger there. I missed a small spot on my stomach the first day and I thought I was going to die it was so red.

The craziest driving is that stretch on the northwest side of the island. Some one-lane roads that go up hundred foot cliffs and back down. You have to wait for other cars to go around the cliff before you can proceed. Breathtaking scenery though. I wonder if they eventually made that a 2 lane road given the amount of traffic that area had.

https://www.google.com/maps/@20.998322,-156...N9ReRoQ!2e0

• 1 month later...
QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 21, 2014 -> 12:20 PM)
I'm kicking around the idea of renting a jeep...$370 for the week.

I'd do a jeep or a convertible of some kind. Car is a must to see everything the island has to offer.

Where are you guys staying? No matter where you're at, you should have a blast. Maui is awesome.

Oh, and congrats again!

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 21, 2014 -> 11:21 AM)
I'd do a jeep or a convertible of some kind. Car is a must to see everything the island has to offer.

Where are you guys staying? No matter where you're at, you should have a blast. Maui is awesome.

Oh, and congrats again!

I took the plunge and got the Jeep.

We're staying at the Andaz Maui at Wailea. I think it is an old Marriott that Hyatt bought and remodeled.

Just booked some golf here

I asked the woman about the pace of play because they offer $100 replay for your second round on the same day. She said she presently has 14 people on the books for the day I am going. Sold. Going to take the ferry over in the morning, get in two rounds. The wife can hit the beach at the Four Seasons or come along in the cart for $30.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 21, 2014 -> 02:21 PM)
Seriously though, do you guys think that is selfish of me, to play golf? She has said she wants to lay on the beach all day anyways for the honeymoon.

Nope. A little alone time would probably be fine. Two rounds may be pushing it.