2013 Minor League Transactions

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 14, 2014 -> 02:26 PM)
Yeah, its odd, FS re-tweeted this like a week ago... now all of a sudden today, the news media jumped on it. Must have been waiting for official word.

Must be something to do with the difference between "agreeing to terms" and then actually taking and passing the physical.

The Chicago White Sox have agreed to terms on minor-league contracts with right-handed pitchers Dylan Axelrod, Parker Frazier, Brian Omogrosso, Omar Poveda and Zach Putnam, left-handers David Purcey and Mauricio Robles, catcher Hector Gimenez, infielder Alex Liddi and outfielder Denis Phipps. All 10 players, in addition to 11 players within the White Sox system, have received non-roster invites to the club’s spring training camp in Glendale, Ariz.

Right-handers Chris Bassitt, Chris Beck and Cody Winiarski, left-hander Scott Snodgress, catchers Miguel Gonzalez and Kevan Smith, infielders Micah Johnson, Mike McDade and Andy Wilkins and outfielders Blake Tekotte and Keenyn Walker all received invites to major-league camp from within the organization.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jan 21, 2014 -> 01:40 PM)
The Chicago White Sox have agreed to terms on minor-league contracts with right-handed pitchers Dylan Axelrod, Parker Frazier, Brian Omogrosso, Omar Poveda and Zach Putnam, left-handers David Purcey and Mauricio Robles, catcher Hector Gimenez, infielder Alex Liddi and outfielder Denis Phipps. All 10 players, in addition to 11 players within the White Sox system, have received non-roster invites to the club’s spring training camp in Glendale, Ariz.

All but Robles have been announced previously. Robles is interesting.

• 3 weeks later...

Leyson Septimo has signed with an Atlantic League (Ind) team, so he's gone.

Only remaining MiLB FA's who were with Sox org that remain unsigned with any team:

RHP Simon Castro (my guess is the Sox re-sign him)

RHP Johansel Delgado (23 yo in Rk lg last year, hard to say what happens with him)

1B/OF Jimmy Gallagher (he's 28 now, and I don't see the Sox needing his services, he's a MiLB bench guy)

RHP Ramon Troncoso (I don't see him back either)

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 10, 2014 -> 03:16 PM)

Only remaining MiLB FA's who were with Sox org that remain unsigned with any team:

RHP Johansel Delgado (23 yo in Rk lg last year, hard to say what happens with him)

1B/OF Jimmy Gallagher (he's 28 now, and I don't see the Sox needing his services, he's a MiLB bench guy)

I'm glad I don't have to hear about Septimo anymore. I do hope Sox do resign Castro.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 10, 2014 -> 10:16 PM)

How about Jason Berken?

UPDATE: I see Berken signed with SF, how about Miguel Gonzalez, the C. I do not see that he signed anywhere?

Edited by MnSoxFan

So this was a little bit of a surprise... BA has a piece up (written by Scot Gregor) featuring Dan Black. Bell saying he would have put Black's chances at seeing the majors at 20% early in his career, now thinks it is 70%. Apparently the Sox do see something in him, albeit not a ton.

I've said before, I think Black could find a major league role, I just don't think it is likely with the Sox.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 17, 2014 -> 01:04 PM)
So this was a little bit of a surprise... BA has a piece up (written by Scot Gregor) featuring Dan Black. Bell saying he would have put Black's chances at seeing the majors at 20% early in his career, now thinks it is 70%. Apparently the Sox do see something in him, albeit not a ton.

I've said before, I think Black could find a major league role, I just don't think it is likely with the Sox.

Primarily because of the presence of Abreu.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Feb 18, 2014 -> 05:29 PM)
Primarily because of the presence of Abreu.

Yes, and the possibility of Viciedo moving to DH or 1B next year. And while he's a switch hitter, he seems to hit lefties better than righties, so he's not as good a platoon partner with Viciedo as Wilkins would be.

It isn't impossible Black could make it with the Sox. If Viciedo is traded or just falls apart, and if Black shows a hammer in AAA, and Wilkins is gone or doesn't do well, with Konerko and Dunn leaving, and especially if there aren't many good 1B options on the FA or trade market next offseason... there's the scenario that gets him a job in Chicago in 2015. That just isn't a highly likely scenario.

Sort of random... saw a Twitter back-and-forth between Jake Cose and Jordan Guerrero, and the story buried in there is that Cose apparently hurt his back. Enough so that he was looking for a ride to AZ so he wouldn't have to drive. Might be nothing, could just be tight from the offseason, but thought I'd point it out.