2013 Minor League Transactions

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (The 815 @ Feb 26, 2013 -> 01:51 AM)
I'm fairly certain he said Thomas Royse. He didn't play at Winston-Salem, but he does have an extensive injury history, so I could be wrong.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 26, 2013 -> 07:50 AM)
That would make sense.

Confirmed, it is indeed Royse who is retiring.

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 26, 2013 -> 01:13 PM)
Confirmed, it is indeed Royse who is retiring.

A little more data on this... the guy was drafted, had TJ on his elbow shortly after, missed all of 2011, pitched in limited action in 2012. Then apparently, this year, on the FIRST DAY of workouts, he blew out his knee. When faced with the prospect of another surgery, another year of rehab, etc., he decided to retire. Can't really blame him. Feel awful for the guy.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 27, 2013 -> 08:18 AM)
A little more data on this... the guy was drafted, had TJ on his elbow shortly after, missed all of 2011, pitched in limited action in 2012. Then apparently, this year, on the FIRST DAY of workouts, he blew out his knee. When faced with the prospect of another surgery, another year of rehab, etc., he decided to retire. Can't really blame him. Feel awful for the guy.

Wow. The poor kid. That is just miserable luck.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 27, 2013 -> 06:18 AM)

Gotta have more mental toughness than that. Injuries are just part of the deal when you play sports. I've blown out both knees in the past 5 years so I know what it's like and I'll tell you that feeling sorry for yourself and quitting doesn't help you heal any faster.

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ Feb 28, 2013 -> 10:57 PM)
Gotta have more mental toughness than that. Injuries are just part of the deal when you play sports. I've blown out both knees in the past 5 years so I know what it's like and I'll tell you that feeling sorry for yourself and quitting doesn't help you heal any faster.

That seems overly harsh to me. You have to have some perspective here - and understand he's just being realistic. He's going to turn 25 this September, and likely would miss all this season. He'd be 25 when he got going again, with only a partial season worth of play in rookie ball under his belt, and turn 26 during what might be his first full season in pro ball. After two surgeries. To say he'd have an extremely long shot to ever make it at that point, would be an understatement.

Also, not to diminish your experiences, but you are not a professional athlete. The situations are very different. This guy isn't giving up on rehab, he's having to make a decision about his career.

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ Feb 28, 2013 -> 10:57 PM)

Depends on what else there is for you. He may have known that his chances to make the MLB was marginal to begin with and has a family business or something. This happens to many MiLB players. They know they really have no chance for MLB but want to continue to play ball for a living for a little while. It is a great experience. He may have just decided that with essentially taking 2 years off he is too far behind and he is just moving on.

Not sure if this was posted, but LHP Charlie Leesman (FS #13 prospect) is going to throw off a mound today, for the first time since his injury and surgery in September.

[/quote.

Looks like he's on schedule to be ready for the season. Hopefully he gets called this year, deserved it last year.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 1, 2013 -> 07:00 AM)
That seems overly harsh to me. You have to have some perspective here - and understand he's just being realistic. He's going to turn 25 this September, and likely would miss all this season. He'd be 25 when he got going again, with only a partial season worth of play in rookie ball under his belt, and turn 26 during what might be his first full season in pro ball. After two surgeries. To say he'd have an extremely long shot to ever make it at that point, would be an understatement.

Also, not to diminish your experiences, but you are not a professional athlete. The situations are very different. This guy isn't giving up on rehab, he's having to make a decision about his career.

Im just saying that he has to rehab his knee one way or the other, not to mention the fact that he could have had a top notch team of trainers helping him along the way. Most people, as was my experience, have to take their own initiative when rehabbing and only get to go to physical therapy a few times a week. He could get therapy on it every day if he wanted and come back strong and healthy, his knee is already trashed so take advantage of your situation, build it back up and come back with some toughness about the situation. JMO

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ Mar 3, 2013 -> 02:37 AM)
Im just saying that he has to rehab his knee one way or the other, not to mention the fact that he could have had a top notch team of trainers helping him along the way. Most people, as was my experience, have to take their own initiative when rehabbing and only get to go to physical therapy a few times a week. He could get therapy on it every day if he wanted and come back strong and healthy, his knee is already trashed so take advantage of your situation, build it back up and come back with some toughness about the situation. JMO

Most players even at the MLB level do not stay with the team for their rehab. They go home and go to a clinic like everyone else. Now it's still paid for by the team (I'm sure it's still the case here) and they must go check in occasionally with the team. Very few pro athletes in any sports stay with the team after a season ending injury. Most coaches do not want them around even if the athlete wanted to stay.

QUOTE (baseball17 @ Mar 2, 2013 -> 03:36 PM)
QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 1, 2013 -> 01:29 PM)

Not sure if this was posted, but LHP Charlie Leesman (FS #13 prospect) is going to throw off a mound today, for the first time since his injury and surgery in September.

Looks like he's on schedule to be ready for the season. Hopefully he gets called this year, deserved it last year.

It really isn't about "deserved it". It is a question of what role opens up, and who is best for that role. Leesman isn't particularly helpful as a LOOGY, because his splits are backwards or even keel. He's a starter, maybe long reliever, and bringing him in for short relief doesn't make much sense. Now, in terms of starters, right now you have the starting 5 of Sale-Peavy-Danks-Floyd-Quintana, followed by Santiago or Axelrod... that's 7 starters. Leesman is, at best, 8th on the depth chart for a starting slot, and probably 3rd or maybe at best 2nd for a long man role.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 4, 2013 -> 06:46 AM)

It really isn't about "deserved it". It is a question of what role opens up, and who is best for that role. Leesman isn't particularly helpful as a LOOGY, because his splits are backwards or even keel. He's a starter, maybe long reliever, and bringing him in for short relief doesn't make much sense. Now, in terms of starters, right now you have the starting 5 of Sale-Peavy-Danks-Floyd-Quintana, followed by Santiago or Axelrod... that's 7 starters. Leesman is, at best, 8th on the depth chart for a starting slot, and probably 3rd or maybe at best 2nd for a long man role.

Odds are he is probably behind Castro and Molina as well. Maybe even Rienzo.

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 24, 2013 -> 05:09 PM)
I hadn't even heard of the last three.

I feel like there is something more to know about the Linza release. He was a low round pick, but did well in relief in his draft year at Bristol, and was OK in Great Falls in the rotation last year. Has plus control. Seems odd to let him go - I wonder if he elected to leave or something.

• 2 weeks later...

Not a Sox guy, but the Rockies sent down their first pick from last year after one game, David Dahl.

I just happened to check his twitter to see if he said anything...he missed a flight. Oops.

Edited by flavum

Chicago White Sox

Signed: RHP Jason Berken (released by Cubs, March 22), SS Jean Almanzar (released by Angels, March 27), SS Tyler Greene (released by Astros, March 26), OF Luis Durango (released by Royals, April 1)

Released: 2B Erik Morrison, 3B Nick Giarraputo, 3B Andy Gonzalez, 3B Thomas McCarthy, 3B Jake Oester, OF Stefan Gartrell, OF John Shelby III

Acquired: 1B Lars Anderson from Blue Jays for cash considerations

Optioned to Triple-A: RHP Brian Omogrosso

Placed on 7-day DL: RHP Scott Carroll, RHP Dan Remenowsky, LHP Charlie Leesman, LHP Trevor Reckling, LHP Santos Rodriguez, C Damaso Espino, C Luis Sierra, 1B Lars Anderson, 3B Josh Bell, OF Blake Tekotte

Placed on 60-day DL: RHP Kyle Bellamy

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 7, 2013 -> 12:40 PM)
Not a Sox guy, but the Rockies sent down their first pick from last year after one game, David Dahl.

I just happened to check his twitter to see if he said anything...he missed a flight. Oops.

They sent their top prospect back to Arizona and removed him from the a-ball roster after 1 game. There is zero chance it is simply because he "missed a flight". Has to have been more to it.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 8, 2013 -> 07:42 AM)
They sent their top prospect back to Arizona and removed him from the a-ball roster after 1 game. There is zero chance it is simply because he "missed a flight". Has to have been more to it.

Cool. Find out what else he did and get back to us.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 8, 2013 -> 09:01 AM)
Cool. Find out what else he did and get back to us.

David Dahl ‏@ddahl21 21h

In response to questions, I was sent to extended for missing a flight and for questions about attitude. I respect the Rockies decision and

David Dahl ‏@ddahl21 21h

And will continue to improve as a player, teammate, and as a person.