2013 Minor League Transactions

NorthSideSox72

I think Ravelo was always going to be a timed promotion. He hasn't done especially well this season, but hopefully that was just a matter of getting back in rhythm after so much off time last season.

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (danman31 @ May 2, 2013 -> 11:56 AM)
I think Ravelo was always going to be a timed promotion. He hasn't done especially well this season, but hopefully that was just a matter of getting back in rhythm after so much off time last season.

I just wish they'd play him at 3B, because he's never going to cut it at 1B.

On an unrelated note, has anyone heard anything about Barnum?

QUOTE (danman31 @ May 2, 2013 -> 11:56 AM)

His core results haven't been there. But this is interesting... his walk rate is a very good 16.7% this year so far, versus a much lower 6.1% last year. His OBP is .364, despite a .226 AVG. His K/PA is identical to his BB/PA this year, which is also a good sign.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ May 2, 2013 -> 12:41 PM)
I just wish they'd play him at 3B, because he's never going to cut it at 1B.

He could potentially develop some power, but he's a long way from there right now, so I have to agree. Unless his defense is brutal at 3B, which does not mesh with the reports I had read up through last season. No one was saying he was great there, but it was along the lines of hopefully-good-enough, not really-bad-move-him-now.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 3, 2013 -> 06:18 AM)
FutureSox.com ‏@FutureSox 57m

Hawkins, Barnum, Mitchell, Leesman, Ravelo, Shoemaker, Hansen, Remenowsky, Brackman, Bellamy, Reckling, Rodriguez... all saw DL in 1st month

So you're saying it's an organizational trend. :P

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ May 4, 2013 -> 11:38 AM)
Yoandy Barroso has also been promoted to Winston-Salem, Kyle Hansen to Kanny, Justin Jirschele to Birmingham, Michael Earley to temporarily inactive list in B-Ham

Earley's wife just had a baby so that explains his move.

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ May 4, 2013 -> 11:38 AM)
Yoandy Barroso has also been promoted to Winston-Salem, Kyle Hansen to Kanny, Justin Jirschele to Birmingham, Michael Earley to temporarily inactive list in B-Ham

Jirschele to B-Ham? I guess he won't be starting. Good to see Hansen back in action.

Sox claimed Mike McDade on waivers from CLE.

Um... why? Why not promote Black? No need for filler in Charlotte, already plenty of that there, Loman is the insurance on Konerko/Dunn and Gallagher is raking and plays 1B. Black is hitting in BHam and is stuck behind Wilkins. Weird.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 7, 2013 -> 02:19 PM)
Tommy Viola ‏@Tommy_the_V 12m

Two more roster moves today... INF Josh Bell was released and INF Mike McDade was claimed off waivers and optioned to @KnightsBaseball

That frees the roster spot. Still doesn't make much sense to me, Bell was playing mostly 3B I think.

My only theory is, they want McDade as just a bench guy, and don't want Wilkins or Black on the bench at this point. I just don't see how, looking at the body of their careers to this point including scouting reports, they would think McDade would be better than Black.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 7, 2013 -> 02:42 PM)
That frees the roster spot. Still doesn't make much sense to me, Bell was playing mostly 3B I think.

My only theory is, they want McDade as just a bench guy, and don't want Wilkins or Black on the bench at this point. I just don't see how, looking at the body of their careers to this point including scouting reports, they would think McDade would be better than Black.

Coming from Toronto, I would say this has Marco Paddy written all over it.

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ May 12, 2013 -> 10:11 AM)
Looks like Brady Shoemaker will miss the rest of the entire 2013 season with a torn labrum in his right shoulder.

http://www.wthitv.com/dpp/sports/high_scho...ry#.UY-wXcqG4eo

http://www.sycamorepride.com/showthread.ph...rgery-%284-3%29

Yeah, we discussed that here back in March I think. He is technically on W-S's DL. His girlfriend was tweeting about the surgery, and before then, we'd had the info posted here.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 12, 2013 -> 03:15 PM)
Yeah, we discussed that here back in March I think. He is technically on W-S's DL. His girlfriend was tweeting about the surgery, and before then, we'd had the info posted here.

Thanks for the info. I'm new to this site. What about the rest?

Hankerd was a minor league ringer, not a prospect really, and he went to another org.

Shirek was just stuck behind too many people, and elected to go pitch in Korea. He may show up on major league radars again in the future.

Leesman was indeed a prospect, always sort of a mysterious one. He was put on waivers recently, claimed by Texas, Texas assigned him to AAA, he rejected the assignment and went FA, and the Sox picked him back up. He was injured in the playoffs last year, and was still just recovering when he was waived. So he's probably back in AZ now, waiting for a chance with Charlotte to open up.