Grady Sizemore worth a flyer?

peteward

QUOTE (PorkChopExpress @ Feb 6, 2013 -> 11:50 AM)
You say yourself that he is proven major league talent, so what makes you think he's only worth "a flyer" and that no one else seems to want him? If he's worth a flyer to the Sox, then he's worth a flyer to many other teams, and there are plenty of teams that were looking for OF help that didn't get it this off-season. Assuming he can actually get healthy (proven by a physical), there will be a market for him, even though it may be a small market, which means he can probably get a contract that is more than merely a flyer.

That being said, his injuries, if I recall correctly and without actually looking it up, were of an ambiguous nature, i.e., leg fatigue or something like that. Those kinds of injuries give me more pause than a broken bone or torn ligament, for example. And a lot of his value was in his legs. Aside from any injury, he is also 30/31 this year, and age takes a toll on the legs, too. But I'll trust the professionals to determine whether he is healthy or not, and if they say he is, I would still pay more than a flyer to get him. You don't lose talent.

Sizemore will likely have several teams wanting him at a minimum value if and when he chooses to sign. He's actually being smart, however, and waiting until he's as close to healthy as he can get before doing so.

Since the Sox don't play the Tigers until just before the All Star break, perhaps they could wait until then to find that left handed, middle of the order bat.

Sizemore would be ideal, if he were anywhere near as productive as he was when he was in his mid twenties.

He was especially good against RHP. Voila!!!

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE (Lillian @ Feb 26, 2013 -> 05:34 PM)
Apparently, even a few of the Sox players are as concerned about the lack of left handed hitters on their roster, as some of us are:

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/artic...ws&c_id=cws

Sizemore could really help.

Could really help. If he were to remain healthy. There are great odds that he would not.

I'm content with Wise and Danks

With Granderson out I'm shocked the Yankees haven't already signed him. If he's got any pop left the short porch in right would be perfect for him. And no worries about the health issues, when he goes down with an injury maybe Granderson will be ready to go hah

QUOTE (Cali @ Feb 27, 2013 -> 01:51 AM)
With Granderson out I'm shocked the Yankees haven't already signed him. If he's got any pop left the short porch in right would be perfect for him. And no worries about the health issues, when he goes down with an injury maybe Granderson will be ready to go hah

Why does no one read any other posts?

The problem is...Sizemore isn't healthy right now. It will be midseason before he's ready to go, that's why he hasn't signed anywhere yet. The Yankees may as well say they're going to play ARod in CF to start the season; after all, he's just as useful as Sizemore would be out there right now.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 27, 2013 -> 08:36 AM)
Why does no one read any other posts?The problem is...Sizemore isn't healthy right now. It will be midseason before he's ready to go, that's why he hasn't signed anywhere yet. The Yankees may as well say they're going to play ARod in CF to start the season; after all, he's just as useful as Sizemore would be out there right now.

Lol i was thinking that. Lets get Sizemore and wait and hope he might be ok even though he hasnt been for like 4 straight years

Yes, I acknowledged that Sizemore is not expected to be ready to play until around June. I also stated, in an earlier post, that since the Sox don't play the Tigers until just before the All Star break, they might be able to wait for him. The point of this latest post was to simply refer to the article which reaffirms the fact that the Sox still need another, middle of the order, left handed bat. When players are openly discussing it, it is at the least, a perceived short coming. They may qualify their remarks, and offer rationalizations, but it is obviously on their minds, and well it should be. The article states precisely what I have been arguing; That the Tigers, as well as the rest of the Central Division, have a lot of tough right handed pitchers.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Feb 27, 2013 -> 09:57 AM)
Yes, I acknowledged that Sizemore is not expected to be ready to play until around June. I also stated, in an earlier post, that since the Sox don't play the Tigers until just before the All Star break, they might be able to wait for him. The point of this latest post was to simply refer to the article which reaffirms the fact that the Sox still need another, middle of the order, left handed bat. When players are openly discussing it, it is at the least, a perceived short coming. They may qualify their remarks, and offer rationalizations, but it is obviously on their minds, and well it should be. The article states precisely what I have been arguing; That the Tigers, as well as the rest of the Central Division, have a lot of tough right handed pitchers.

And if something becomes available and it makes sense, I'm sure the Sox will pursue it. In the mean time, sit back and relax.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 27, 2013 -> 10:03 AM)
And if something becomes available and it makes sense, I'm sure the Sox will pursue it. In the mean time, sit back and relax.

It makes no sense even when he gets healthy, unless it a minor league deal, with a very small major league cost if the team decides to pick him up.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 27, 2013 -> 03:00 PM)
It makes no sense even when he gets healthy, unless it a minor league deal, with a very small major league cost if the team decides to pick him up.

Even with that, you impede the progress of our young up and coming outfielders.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 27, 2013 -> 05:16 PM)
Bah, none of them should be even really considered to replace Wise this year, and that'd be Sizemore's role if he was ever signed.

I wasn't talking about them replacing Wise this year. I was thinking about taking away AAA AB's from them.

Oh, and Lillian...you wanted another left handed bat to face the tough righties? I imagine you'll see this lineup (or a variation) a few times in those situations

1) De Aza CF- L

2) Keppinger/Beckham 2B - R

3) Rios RF - R

4) Konerko 1B - R

5) Dunn DH - L

6) Wise LF - L

7) Gillaspie 3B - L

8) Ramirez SS - R

9) Gimenez C - S

If at any point late in the game, they bring in a LH reliever to try and plow through that stretch of 3 lefties, you pinch hit Viciedo/Beckham/Keppinger, and it messes all of it up right away.

The Righty/Lefty and ice versa match-ups are not always done in every game especially

without considering individual match-up statistics

and considerations about defensive issues. That is how very team and every Manager

approach it. There is no absolute formula or set line-up vs. RH or LH starters,

or at least there shouldn't be.

If Flowers wants to be the every day starting catcher over time, he

has to start most games no matter who is pitching. That is what it takes to

provide leadership from that important position, more stability to the pitching staff,

and more consistent hitting from our line-up.

If we are going to be relying on Giminez to start a lot of games that probably won't work out very well.

I hope I am wrong, believe me. I hope he plays and hits like Yadi Molina and shocks the world.