2013-2014 NFL Thread

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 08:46 AM)
Looks like Shannahan is benching RG III for Cousins this weekend. No health issues.

I thought they are claiming it's strictly for health issues. That he was never 100% this season and he is getting sacked so much they don't want to risk further injury.

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 09:02 AM)
Guys, Alshon Jeffery is-like-really good. Startlingly good, even "this guy would be considered good on any other team" good. Thats pretty cool.

More like "one of the best wide receivers in the league."

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 08:53 AM)
I thought they are claiming it's strictly for health issues. That he was never 100% this season and he is getting sacked so much they don't want to risk further injury.

Mike Tanahan is about to get the Dan Snyder sendoff, like everyone preceding him. Snyder will never win in DC, he is simply too much of a meddler.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 08:53 AM)

Yeah, I did go back and edit it, that is what they're saying, I meant it to mean there is nothing new, my initial post didn't push that.

There is nothing more valuable than a stud QB on a rookie contract. It's the equivalent of having a Kevin Durant on his rookie deal or similar star player. You can't have a team full of guys being paid market value and the best way to alleviate salary concerns is to get a bargain QB (usually only possible via draft)

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 11:21 AM)
Jeffery is so good you forget sometimes that Marshall is the number 1 receiver out there. Bears need to lock both of those guys up with long term deals.

Marshall is gonna want big bucks. Maybe highest paid WR in NFL.

Shots fired! Shots fired!

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/story/_/id/...-brian-urlacher

Former Chicago Bears middle linebacker Brian Urlacher believes the team should stick with Josh McCown at quarterback even if Jay Cutler receives the necessary medical clearance to return from the high-ankle sprain that has kept him out the past four games.

Urlacher, an NFL analyst for Fox Sports 1, said on "Fox Football Daily" that McCown has earned the right to continue starting for the Bears (7-6), who travel to Cleveland to face the Browns (4-9) on Sunday.

Both Cutler and McCown are scheduled to be unrestricted free agents in the offseason.

"It's going to be awfully hard to take Josh out of there right now the way he's playing," Urlacher said. "In my opinion, [McCown] should be the guy. He should be the starting quarterback of the Bears, even if Jay Cutler is healthy. You can't take a guy who's this hot out of the football game. If I was on that team, I would have a hard time with them taking him out."

McCown was named NFC Offensive Player of the Week on Wednesday after he completed 27 of 36 passes for 348 yards and four touchdowns Monday against the Dallas Cowboys, resulting in a 141.9 quarterback rating. McCown has thrown for 13 touchdowns and just one interception in seven games this season and became the first quarterback in franchise history to pass for 300 or more yards in three consecutive games.

McCown ranks third in the league with a quarterback rating of 109.8.

However, the Bears have said publicly on numerous occasions that Cutler will play again this season and will eventually return to the starting lineup. Cutler practiced on Thursday and Friday last week on a limited basis before resting his ankle on Saturday.

"There's no change in the plan," coach Marc Trestman said after the Bears beat the Cowboys. "We'll see where Jay is this week. He'll have to be released by the doctors. When Jay is ready to play, he'll be playing. When [Cutler] is good to go and can have a full week of practice, he'll be our quarterback."

Even McCown acknowledged Tuesday on ESPN 1000's "Carmen and Jurko Show" that he expects to step aside once Cutler returns.

"I understand that Jay's the starter, and he does too, and our team does and we're building this thing around him," McCown said. "More importantly, for everybody, it's not just Josh and Jay, let's just be for the Bears and for the Bears playing good football and winning football. That's the thing that matters the most, no matter who's in at quarterback. That's all I care about.

"As soon as Jay is ready and healthy and back out there ... he's been so good for me the last few weeks and how much he's helped me. I want to go back and return that favor to him and continue to help him. It's all about our team and everybody has that 'C' on their helmet and that's all that matters. It's not about if this guy plays or that guy plays, it's about our team winning. And that's all we care about. When Jay gets back in there, I have full faith that he'll do a heck of a job and that he'll lead our team like he has already."

The Bears will hold their first full practice of the week Thursday.

Brad Biggs ‏@BradBiggs 11 Dec

So barring something unexpected, Trestman clear #Bears will start Jay Cutler vs #Browns on Sunday.

But Trestman is leaving decision on QB open because he wants to see how he performs in workout later today, maybe see how he feels Thursday

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 12:19 PM)
Both of those guys are gonna get paid big time.

We'll see, I think these two are more tied at the hip than people think (I remember a few other folks suggesting the same). Both don't seem like money hungry people, and like I said Marshall wants the playoffs. And one more thing reasonable doesn't mean not getting paid, if some team is willing to go above and beyond than by all means do it.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 01:27 PM)

So barring something unexpected, Trestman clear #Bears will start Jay Cutler vs #Browns on Sunday.

But Trestman is leaving decision on QB open because he wants to see how he performs in workout later today, maybe see how he feels Thursday

Not so optimistic about Briggs though, which really sucks

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 12:25 PM)
That's what you want to happen.

Me thinking that has nothing to do with being a Packers fan. The contract the Cutler or Marshall sign will be the biggest of their careers. Players usually get one big deal, for them this is going to be it.

You think Marshall is going to come play for free because Cutler is here. He will get Larry Fitzgerald sized deal. 40 - 50 million guaranteed.

Same goes for Cutler. He isn't going to pass up millions of dollars. He will say give me the Matt Ryan deal.

They may give the Bears a little break, but they are still getting big bucks.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 01:46 PM)
Me thinking that has nothing to do with being a Packers fan. The contract the Cutler or Marshall sign will be the biggest of their careers. Players usually get one big deal, for them this is going to be it.

You think Marshall is going to come play for free because Cutler is here. He will get Larry Fitzgerald sized deal. 40 - 50 million guaranteed.

Same goes for Cutler. He isn't going to pass up millions of dollars. He will say give me the Matt Ryan deal.

They may give the Bears a little break, but they are still getting big bucks.

And there's no way in hell I'd ever consider giving Cutler that kind of money. Marshall is a definite possibility.

Some goals for the Bears to (not) shoot for:

Last time a team had consecutive winning seasons without making the playoffs either season was Miami in 2002-03.

Last time a team swept their interconference games (4-0) but failed to make the playoffs was New England in 2008.

Most points scored by a team that failed to make the playoffs (since playoff expansion to 12 teams) is 483 by Kansas City in 2004.