2013-2014 NFL Thread

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 03:20 PM)
If Jay is worth $15 million a year, he should be able to do OK vs the 9th ranked defense in the same offense a journeyman can light up lesser defenses, or there is no point paying him that much.

Why is it there is always an excuse for Cutler? Everyone knows he has talent, and a lot more talent than McCown. The question is whether it is worth the difference in salary when the team is going to have a lot of issues to address.

I get yours and everyone elses point, I guess I'm just think it's unrealistic to expect Jay to go for 350+ against this Browns team that features perhaps the #1 CB in the league, Joe Haden, and the other corner is leading the league in pass deflections.

Edited by scs787

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (scs787 @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 01:32 PM)
I get yours and everyone elses point, I guess I'm just think it's unrealistic to expect Jay to go for 350+ against this Browns team that features perhaps the #1 CB in the league, Joe Haden, and the other corner is leading the league in pass deflections.

Don't turn the ball over and win is good enough.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 01:36 PM)
There will be blow back if the Bears lose, but there shouldnt be. From the minute Jay got hurt, Trestman has maintained that Jay will start when he is healthy enough to do so.

Why the hell not? Healthy or not, Cutler missed what, 7 weeks? While the rest of the offense has played well together, he's been on the sidelines. If his timing is off or he's out of sync with the offense and the Bears lose, Trestman should absolutely be criticized for losing the season on this move, just like he was rightly criticized for leaving Cutler in the Detroit game about 2.5 quarters too long.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 01:32 PM)

I think everyone just wants the win. The only thing that will get "meatheads" really going is if the Bears lose and Jay is bad. I think, on this board at least, and the vast majority of places, 99% of people know Cutler is better than McCown. The only questions are, is McCown as good as he's played moving forward, and if he is, which the Bears are more capable of determining than any of us, is it enough to walk away from Cutler. I think they don't think so. I don't see why the would go back to Cutler now if they thought McCown was the solution, especially with the roll he has been on.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 01:43 PM)
I think everyone just wants the win. The only thing that will get "meatheads" really going is if the Bears lose and Jay is bad.

Why are you a "meathead" if you want the Bears to win and not lose on a decision to put a QB in who hasn't played in 8 weeks, over a guy that has played the best stretch OF ANY QUARTERBACK IN THE HISTORY OF THE GOD DAMN FRANCHISE?

Can I repeat that point any stronger? The best f'n stretch of games as QB in ALMOST 100 YEARS.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 01:41 PM)
Why the hell not? Healthy or not, Cutler missed what, 7 weeks? While the rest of the offense has played well together, he's been on the sidelines. If his timing is off or he's out of sync with the offense and the Bears lose, Trestman should absolutely be criticized for losing the season on this move, just like he was rightly criticized for leaving Cutler in the Detroit game about 2.5 quarters too long.

Because Jay is the starter. If Jay is healthy throughout the game and is rusty, well that really sucks, but he is the starter. The way I look at it is put any other starter in the same position. Say Manning goes down and his 2nd string comes in and performs well for 4 games(which, looking at their offense and weapons, is very possible). Does the 2nd stringer take the job away because he performed well? Should manning get the hook if he comes in and is rusty in the 5th game and they lose?

Leaving Jay in the game while he is injured, that is different. He deserved criticism for that. But if your starter is healthy enough to play, you play him.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 01:49 PM)
Why are you a "meathead" if you want the Bears to win and not lose on a decision to put a QB in who hasn't played in 8 weeks, over a guy that has played the best stretch OF ANY QUARTERBACK IN THE HISTORY OF THE GOD DAMN FRANCHISE?

Can I repeat that point any stronger? The best f'n stretch of games as QB in ALMOST 100 YEARS.

I am only using his term in which I apparently am bunched in, as I don't see why the Cutler fan club refuses to admit to several flaws in his game. If it isn't his receivers, its his line, or its the opposing defense. It's always something besides Jay. Some people have a hard time admitting he sometimes just has a lousy game.

OTOH, if McCown really is a guy who can be this good for more than just a stretch, you would think that by now he would have been in a few pro bowls and super bowls and probably cemented his path to Canton.

There is no question he has been outstanding. IMO, if you could reasonably determine he would be able to keep it up, there is absolutely no reason to pay Cutler what he would command. The fact that the Bears are going back to Cutler seems to indicate what they currently think.

He was also 3-2 though, and he only was able to get 20 points against a terrible Vikings team. It's not like they're coming off of a five-game winning streak.

That's cherry picking a bit to anoint McNown tallest midget. That said, it's valid to question putting your own ice on an unbelievably hot hand.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 02:03 PM)
He was also 3-2 though, and he only was able to get 20 points against a terrible Vikings team. It's not like they're coming off of a five-game winning streak.

SS you are being intentionally obtuse with that comment.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 02:05 PM)
SS you are being intentionally obtuse with that comment.

He's played very well, and the Rams loss is all about a horrible defense. But I've gotta put the blame for the Vikings loss on the offense (and coaching). Even if they racked up a lot of yards, they still couldn't score more than 20 against a bad team, and they couldn't gain a crucial yard on two tries to effectively seal the win.

edit: I think Jay should start and I think it'd be crazy not to bring him back next year, but I understand the arguments in favor of riding the hot hand right now. Even if Cutler comes out and stinks, though, I'd rather they know that over these next three games so they can make a better decision regarding franchise/contract/walk.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 02:08 PM)
He's played very well, and the Rams loss is all about a horrible defense. But I've gotta put the blame for the Vikings loss on the offense (and coaching). Even if they racked up a lot of yards, they still couldn't score more than 20 against a bad team, and they couldn't gain a crucial yard on two tries to effectively seal the win.

edit: I think Jay should start and I think it'd be crazy not to bring him back next year, but I understand the arguments in favor of riding the hot hand right now. Even if Cutler comes out and stinks, though, I'd rather they know that over these next three games so they can make a better decision regarding franchise/contract/walk.

So Jay gets the job done?

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 02:12 PM)
So Jay gets the job done?

I believe a healthy Jay Cutler gives this team a better chance of winning than Josh McCown does. Beyond that, you can't project swapping out a QB for a specific play or two because you have no idea how the rest of the game would have unfolded.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 01:36 PM)
Agreed. I just think if he doesn't drop 350 on them he's gonna get bashed by the meatheads.

I expect 250-275 and a couple TDs.

Im not sure what you are talking about. You just seem to want to attack anyone who doesnt blindly support Jay Cutler.

That being said, I think most Cutler critics dont care about yards. Yards is a stupid stat. Who cares if you threw for 500 yards if you had 10 picks and your team lost 500-0?

I think what people will validly compare is how the offense runs under Cutler v. McCown.

IE Now that Jay is back will we again start wasting time outs because: calls arent being understood or because we cant get plays off in time.

I think that people will compare whether Jay gets the ball out as quickly as McCown, whether he makes as good of reads, whether he calls as good of audibles.

That has nothing to do with yards.

Winning Super Bowls and championships isnt about how many yards you throw for, otherwise Marino would have ....

So for the sake of all of our sanity, stop trying to predict what people will say after the game.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 01:52 PM)
Because Jay is the starter. If Jay is healthy throughout the game and is rusty, well that really sucks, but he is the starter. The way I look at it is put any other starter in the same position. Say Manning goes down and his 2nd string comes in and performs well for 4 games(which, looking at their offense and weapons, is very possible). Does the 2nd stringer take the job away because he performed well? Should manning get the hook if he comes in and is rusty in the 5th game and they lose?

Leaving Jay in the game while he is injured, that is different. He deserved criticism for that. But if your starter is healthy enough to play, you play him.

Jay's not a hall of fame quarterback. He really hasn't done anything with the Bears to warrant this unquestionable devotion to him other than the hope that when healthy (an issue) and with the proper tools around him (we've now fixed every excuse I think) he's a good not great QB.

Obviously I leave this up to the coaches and doctors to see if he's healthy. And I can agree that generally a starter should always keep his spot. But we're talking about a loss and they're out of the playoffs. This is an important game. I think he should have a short leash. If it's half-time and they're down 14 or whatever, you gotta pull him and see what McCown can do.

And btw, I hope to God Cutler is amazing and puts up 500 yards and 5 TD's. I'd love it if he were the real deal and McCown is never heard from again. But using that old coaching mantra of "we feel we have the best chance to win with X at QB," that needs to be the deciding factor on Sunday.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 01:57 PM)
I am only using his term in which I apparently am bunched in, as I don't see why the Cutler fan club refuses to admit to several flaws in his game. If it isn't his receivers, its his line, or its the opposing defense. It's always something besides Jay. Some people have a hard time admitting he sometimes just has a lousy game.

OTOH, if McCown really is a guy who can be this good for more than just a stretch, you would think that by now he would have been in a few pro bowls and super bowls and probably cemented his path to Canton.

There is no question he has been outstanding. IMO, if you could reasonably determine he would be able to keep it up, there is absolutely no reason to pay Cutler what he would command. The fact that the Bears are going back to Cutler seems to indicate what they currently think.

Opportunities are a strange thing. Sometimes you look at history and go "What if".

I think Cutler is the safe play if you are Trestman. Playing McCown would be a bold move, the type of move that puts your HC job on the line very quick if it goes wrong. I imagine Trestman feels that this may be his 1 shot at a HC job in the NFL, and its hard to risk it all on McCown.

That being said, I would. Sometimes you catch lightning in a bottle and when you do, you have to take advantage of that moment, you cant fear the unknown.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 02:25 PM)
Opportunities are a strange thing. Sometimes you look at history and go "What if".

I think Cutler is the safe play if you are Trestman. Playing McCown would be a bold move, the type of move that puts your HC job on the line very quick if it goes wrong. I imagine Trestman feels that this may be his 1 shot at a HC job in the NFL, and its hard to risk it all on McCown.

That being said, I would. Sometimes you catch lightning in a bottle and when you do, you have to take advantage of that moment, you cant fear the unknown.

Eh, I don't think his job is on the line at all. Despite a .500 season Trestman's turned around a terrible offense into a great one in less than a year with a backup QB. And he's managed this many wins with a potential league worse defense.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 02:28 PM)
Eh, I don't think his job is on the line at all. Despite a .500 season Trestman's turned around a terrible offense into a great one in less than a year with a backup QB and a potentially league-worse defense.

If he picks McCown, McCown loses, Cutler leaves, Marshall leaves, etc, his career will quickly be done.

Its why Cutler will be starting because for Trestman it really makes little career sense to start McCown and take so much heat.

(edit)

To be more clear, if you start McCown over a healthy Cutler I doubt there is anyway you can bring Jay back. It also means you likely are going to try and bring McCown as the Qb next year or another QB. If those guys fail, Cutler goes berserk on another team, people would be calling for Trestmans head.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 02:31 PM)
If he picks McCown, McCown loses, Cutler leaves, Marshall leaves, etc, his career will quickly be done.

Its why Cutler will be starting because for Trestman it really makes little career sense to start McCown and take so much heat.

Completely disagree. The only way Trestman is gone is if in year three or four he's still not in the playoffs. Even if Cutler and Marshall both leave you've got a good o-line, a good receiving TE, a great do-it-all RB and a playmaking WR. The offense will continue to be a top offense IMO.

Edit to your edit: some people might, but the vast majority won't. Seems to me a pretty large section, if not a majority, of Bears fans don't think it would be the end of the world if Cutler doesn't come back next year because they have Trestman leading the offense.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

The Bears will never continue to have a "top offense" without routine and obsessive maintenance. How long have we been Bears fans here? You cannot honestly believe that this franchise can just lose a QB like Cutler and Brandon Marshall and keep chugging along. When John Tait (JOHN f***ING TAIT) retired the OL was the leagues worst for like 5 years. Before Cutler people canonized Jim Miller. Muhsin Muhammad was our #1 WR for years. Not to long ago Devin Hester alone on ST was outgaining and outscoring the entire O.

This was the whole point of Marc Trestman. Enough was enough. Dont suddenly sabotage how far we've come because you want to get all cute with Josh McCown and the draft weaving together what can only loosely be described as a plan.

f*** that, you keep Cutler for next season no matter what* and if you want to draft a QB fine but the org cannot be willing to risk receding back to being the traditional, inept, Bears offense.

Eh I really disagree about how much job security NFL coaches have.

Kubiak went to the AFC Championship game 2x and was fired this year. It just takes 1 year of the wheels falling off and its over. And thats why playing McCown is such a huge risk. If the wheels were to fall off next year under McCown and Cutler did amazing for another team, it would be hard to justify keeping Trestman.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 02:31 PM)

(edit)

To be more clear, if you start McCown over a healthy Cutler I doubt there is anyway you can bring Jay back. It also means you likely are going to try and bring McCown as the Qb next year or another QB. If those guys fail, Cutler goes berserk on another team, people would be calling for Trestmans head.

I think that is a little drastic. Cutler could leave anyways(and Marshall as well), it doesnt affect Trestmans job status because Cutler left, disgruntled or not. If Cutler leaves, it is up to Emery to either draft(preferable obviously) his heir or sign one. At that point, Trestman needs to show he can continue to coach up a QB within his offense.

I dont think Emery is going to ignore the offense like Angelo did, either. I think he really embraces the new NFL offensive ideals.

Cont.

I love Alshon Jeffery. Hes awesome, hes exciting, hes fantastic and we have every reason to be excited. That, however, does not make Brandon Marshall expendable.

Jeffery could flop. This could all be a mirage. Or he could just be a tits-awesome #2 but a god-awful #1. I dont think any of that is true personally, but I dont want to chance it just yet. Keep Marshall, keep Marshall happy. Dont go ruining this you f***ing Bears fans you with your meddling ways.