2013-2014 NFL Thread

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 28, 2014 -> 04:04 PM)
I would be willing to bet there have been more people hospitalized by exposure attending NFL games than getting hit by lightning or injured from a tornado attending an NFL game before they started stopping them for the latter.

I think they are more concerned with massive amount of casualties at once.

IIRC one of the most common occurrences at these type of games winds up being cardiovascular issues.

I don't know one way or the other, but it's not obvious to me why having it at a neutral site increases revenue.

As some have already mentioned, having a pre-determined location for an event gets more people to the event.

Also, having a home team in the Super Bowl means that a fair portion of the fans are not traveling to the game and not staying in hotels and eating at restaurants.

As exciting as it was to have Butler in the Final Four a couple years back, the hotels/restaurants in Indy took a hit because of it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 28, 2014 -> 12:39 PM)
The NFL plays their entire season and playoffs in the elements, except for the very last game. Those games determine just as much of who goes to the super bowl as any others. I'm not sure why it changes for that one game. Even baseball which comes complete with rain delays and the like, plays in the cold for the playoffs.

If the elements are such a worry for the Super Bowl, why aren't they the same level of important for who goes to the Super Bowl?

Again, how many games are played in terrible elements, such as ones that usually occur in February in New York? Per year?

And the answer to that is, you can't play every game in a neutral site, for numerous reasons.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 28, 2014 -> 02:45 PM)
Yes. Lightning, tornadoes in the area. Supposedly it is for fan safety. But is it really any safer for fans to sit 3 1/4-4 hours in temperatures potentially subzero? Or other typical cold weather winter conditions? It appears that will be avoided, but it another reason I don't understand actually wanting to play a game, especially with this much on the line, in bad weather. I wonder how the attendance at all the extra Super Bowl week stuff compares between when the game is held somewhere warm and when it's held in a cold weather city with a dome.

Really, if it weren't obvious schedule problems and no time to make up games, I think games would be delayed and postponed like they are in baseball for extreme conditions.

Even here, they have a contingency plan to play the game another day if the weather is too rough. I think it shows the NFL doesn't want the game's outcome to be tainted by weather.

Baseball doesn't play in rain storms. If the rain starts impacting the field, the game is halted. They don't play through all the elements. They'll play through cold.

And yeah, the NFL saying there at contingency plans just admits that they want to control the elements, to a degree. Don't pick and choose. You want to make this dumb decision? Play if it's 6" of snow and 40 wind. Everyone would be so entertained, instead of watching a good football game.

I'd rather watch a better football game where players are given conditions to succeed, rather than see who can "adapt" or "adjust" to a snow storm. We all just have different definitions of what defines the best team, and what type of game we'd like to see determine it.

So I've been in Seattle for a day and a half now (I leave in about 45 minutes), I don't think I've ever wanted to see a team lose a Super Bowl so badly. They're usually pretty bad here, but it's out of control now. Mt Rainier, can you hurry up and explode already?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 28, 2014 -> 12:46 PM)
Exactly, and it really isn't a neutral field if the weather conditions favor one team more than the other just because they limit the opponent.

No one is going to change their mind, but the Super Bowl is probably the biggest spectacle in pro sports. Up until now it hasn't needed the gimmick of snow or blizzard or mud to keep people interested. It appears a bullet will be dodged and conditions Sunday won't play a big part in the outcome of the game. But there would definitely be a huge debate if the weather was awful and ultimately that decided who took home the trophy.

It also is not a neutral field if one teams is used to playing in a dome and the other is used to playing outside. Noise factor can come into play here not just the weather. There is really no such thing as a neutral field. It's just neither team's home field.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 28, 2014 -> 01:58 PM)
I don't know one way or the other, but it's not obvious to me why having it at a neutral site increases revenue.

Because most of the tickets are sold to big corporate sponsors and such at inflated prices. If one of the teams got the home field many of the tickets would have to go to the fans. This way the NFL can get more money from the sponsors. I think it's 25-30% of the tickets actually go to the fans of the two teams.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Jan 29, 2014 -> 06:48 AM)
So I've been in Seattle for a day and a half now (I leave in about 45 minutes), I don't think I've ever wanted to see a team lose a Super Bowl so badly. They're usually pretty bad here, but it's out of control now. Mt Rainier, can you hurry up and explode already?

Careful, they are the best and loudest fans in the whole wide world. Just ask them, they will happily tell you. Or don't, they will still tell you.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 29, 2014 -> 07:57 AM)
Careful, they are the best and loudest fans in the whole wide world. Just ask them, they will happily tell you. Or don't, they will still tell you.

They'll also tell you how they stole the whole 12th man thing but try to pass it off as their own.

From Spokane to Seattle--it's everywhere. And not just "Go Seahawks!" because Denver businesses and much of Colorado have "Go Broncos" s*** up and it doesn't bother me at all. It's just all 12th Man 12th Man 12th Man.... over and over and over. There's hardly any Seahawks s*** that isn't directly paying homage to the fans, it's just self glorifying crap.

That and you got people with Michigan, Illinois, California (though this could be defensible), Florida license plates with 12th Man flags on their car. Like, yea... it's just a big fat PNW bandwagon.

From Spokane to Seattle--it's everywhere. And not just "Go Seahawks!" because Denver businesses and much of Colorado have "Go Broncos" s*** up and it doesn't bother me at all. It's just all 12th Man 12th Man 12th Man.... over and over and over. There's hardly any Seahawks s*** that isn't directly paying homage to the fans, it's just self glorifying crap.

That and you got people with Michigan, Illinois, California (though this could be defensible), Florida license plates with 12th Man flags on their car. Like, yea... it's just a big fat PNW bandwagon.

After Colorado, Indiana is probably the most pro-Broncos state right now.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Jan 29, 2014 -> 04:48 AM)

What's your route out of here? I'd love to throw some nails in front of your rig.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Jan 29, 2014 -> 09:47 AM)
90 aka the only way out.

My bad didn't realize I-5 was shut down. Also didn't check your award winning blog pathethic-loser-truckdriver.tumbler.com to know that Oregon and California are not on your next route.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 29, 2014 -> 03:27 PM)
My bad didn't realize I-5 was shut down. Also didn't check your award winning blog pathethic-loser-truckdriver.tumbler.com to know that Oregon and California are not on your next route.

Throwing some darts!

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 29, 2014 -> 03:27 PM)

:lol:

I meant out-out, not the most direct route to your insufferable twin siblings in BC and Oregon. But I'm glad you've been living in Seattle at least long enough to know what I-5 is. At least Soxtalk's only true DIEHARD12THMANTOTHECORE Seahawks fan may finally get to enjoy what he's been waiting for all his life.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Jan 29, 2014 -> 06:51 PM)
I meant out-out, not the most direct route to your insufferable twin siblings in BC and Oregon. But I'm glad you've been living in Seattle at least long enough to know what I-5 is. At least Soxtalk's only true DIEHARD12THMANTOTHECORE Seahawks fan may finally get to enjoy what he's been waiting for all his life.

Point, Duke.

I will. If you want me to do some scouting on mildly trendy but ultimately whitewashed, boring suburban sprawl for you to move to once you're over Seattle I will. Don't worry, it won't be too interesting of a place and I'll make sure they have a pro sports team you can easily coopt when you feel like being a part of something, you soulless, meandering catalyst for our vapid, weak generation that thinks actual work is below them.

Edited by DukeNukeEm