2013-2014 NFL Thread

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Marquess Wilson and Michael Bush are your guys next year. He doesn't need to be going after those two positions

Wilson? Alright. He's got definite upside and even if he isn't great the 3rd WR is the 5th receiving option on this team by a sizeable margin. It is not worth any investment beyond a late-round flier to upgrade that spot.

Boggs? I'm scared a little. But Garza was f***ing terrible and somehow turned OK because Kromer the guys around him. Kromer likes Boggs, the coaches like Boggs. Bring someone in at least to compete though, if that's Garza I would be pissed if Garza was just handed the job.

Michael Bush? No. Nuhuhf***ingnoway. With Michael Bush a Forte injury is cataclysmic. This is going to require a meaningful investment, perhaps the only offensive spot other than backup QB where I would call the need pressing. Bush sucks. Bush costs money. Bush should be replaced by a rookie.

I played the little draft game:

1. Khalil Mack OLB Buffalo

2. Kony Ealy DE Missouri

3. Adrian Hubbard OLB Alabama

4. Daquan Jones DT Penn St

5. DeAnthony Thomas RB Oregon

6. Jonathan Dowling S WKU

6. Ross Cockrell CB Duke

I had no choice but to keep going pass rush. I can't pass on Mack at 14, I can't pass on Ealy in R2, then its just feeding me studs at positions I already addressed. If this happened I'd be cool with it though.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jan 3, 2014 -> 10:25 PM)
I think Bush gets cut. Ford probably battles a cheap veteran sign for the back-up RB position. Cutting Bush saves about $1.8 million.

Agreed.

I also think Wilson is the 3rd WR next year. Cutting Earl Bennett would save about $2.45M. He doesn't do enough to warrant that money. $2.45M could get us a solid veteran on the defensive side of the ball.

Taking out money for the rookies + adding the salaries of Cutler, Jennings, and Slauson will leave the Bears with just over $10M in cap space for free agents.

I'd cut E Bennett and Bush, which frees up a little less than $4.5M. I'd either restructure Peppers, or cut him after June 1 (to spread the cap hit over 2 seasons), which would essentially save another $14M.

This puts the Bears at just under $30M for free agents. Plus, some guys might sign extensions or restructure to make the cap hit more friendly this year. Between the draft and free agency + veterans available after June 1 cuts, I think enough pieces can be added to add quality and depth on defense. Sure, it's easier said than done and you're competing against 31 other teams for the same players. But getting the defense back to "respectable" is more than doable.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Jan 4, 2014 -> 12:21 AM)

2. Kony Ealy DE Missouri

6. Ross Cockrell CB Duke

I had no choice but to keep going pass rush. I can't pass on Mack at 14, I can't pass on Ealy in R2, then its just feeding me studs at positions I already addressed. If this happened I'd be cool with it though.

I don't think that Khalil Mack will make it all the way to #14. That would be amazing but I don't think it'll happen. A lot of interest out there for him.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jan 4, 2014 -> 07:53 AM)
Louis Nix, anyone?

I really want Tuitt. He looks like a stud that could possibly play DE on running downs and you could line him up inside on passing downs.

I'm not sure if 320 is his ideal playing weight, but I really want the bears to draft him. Seems like Idonije on steroids due to versatility and talent.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jan 4, 2014 -> 07:53 AM)
Louis Nix, anyone?

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 4, 2014 -> 09:34 AM)
Nix is a great talent, but that guy needs to get himself in better shape to make himself more valuable to teams. He has problems getting winded

^^^^

Nix is immense bust potential, perhaps more than most in the top of the draft. Already having knee issues + the body issue is a recipe for disaster. On the other hand, probably the best 3-4 DT in the draft, but it scares me to draft a guy who has injury issues already.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Jan 4, 2014 -> 12:21 AM)

2. Kony Ealy DE Missouri

6. Ross Cockrell CB Duke

De A Train

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 4, 2014 -> 09:34 AM)
Nix is a great talent, but that guy needs to get himself in better shape to make himself more valuable to teams. He has problems getting winded

I prefer Tuitt if I have to choose one of the domers.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jan 4, 2014 -> 08:53 AM)
Louis Nix, anyone?

I had him on my little mock draft. I know I've said this at least twice already but, I think it makes a ton of sense. I want a guy who's gonna demand a double team out there on the line. I'm not sure if Paea, Ratliff, or Peppers are those guys anymore. Getting a big hoss out there that demands double teams makes everyones job a little easier. Pass rush should be better because there will be more guys working 1 on 1, and the rush defense should be better as well because he's eating up blockers and letting the LBs run free to the ball carrier.

I believe we were talking about how good T'eo looked only because of the monsters he had on the DL, so this is the same idea.

Edited by scs787

It took less than 1 minute of the broadcast for the announcers to note that the Chiefs have averaged about 29 yards per return on kickoffs and say "the Chiefs Special Teams have been absolutely brilliant".

Their ST coach is Dave Toub.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 4, 2014 -> 03:36 PM)
It took less than 1 minute of the broadcast for the announcers to note that the Chiefs have averaged about 29 yards per return on kickoffs and say "the Chiefs Special Teams have been absolutely brilliant".

Their ST coach is Dave Toub.

And now ours is terrible, coincidence?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 4, 2014 -> 04:23 PM)
"So the first time Trent Richardson touches the football he fumbles it"

Everyone that called it one of the worst trades ever was right. Except the Colts were the losing side. It wasn't his Browns teammates fault the whole time, it was actually him sucking that badly.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 4, 2014 -> 06:03 PM)
Everyone that called it one of the worst trades ever was right. Except the Colts were the losing side. It wasn't his Browns teammates fault the whole time, it was actually him sucking that badly.

Yeah, I was guessing at the time the Colts believed they saw something that wasn't being exploited by the Browns...but many he certainly hasn't been worth a first round pick.