2013-2014 NFL Thread

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jan 6, 2014 -> 06:24 PM)
and if Alshon makes that catch or if Conte wasn't a turnstile, Bears win...good teams make plays when it counts. GB isn't as good as SF, the Pack are 0-3 against the 49ers, doesn't matter where they play.

Right, but just making the point that in today's NFL luck is a huge variable so it's important to put yourself in a position to take advantage of luck. Packers almost did despite being 8-7-1.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jan 6, 2014 -> 11:11 AM)
I forgot about Crabtree. I don't know who their number #3 WR is. Vernon Davis missed 1 game this year. Aldon Smith missing time was his own fault. That is still really good health, almost any team would take that.

The Packers have 16 players on IR this year. Not including Matthews.

Do you know where you can find these lists? I'm curious as the only ones I find are game to game. I know that back in week 5 the Niners had 13 injured players already.

QUOTE (HeGone33 @ Jan 6, 2014 -> 11:29 AM)
Do you know where you can find these lists? I'm curious as the only ones I find are game to game. I know that back in week 5 the Niners had 13 injured players already.

I don't know if there is one site that breaks it down. I look at a couple different sites and go off memory.

The 49ers may of had some injuries during the season, but none of them must have been that serious. That team they had yesterday had every starter playing minus Rogers.

I'm not knocking the 49ers for that, I think it's impressive. I wish the Packers could do that. Even for just one year.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jan 6, 2014 -> 11:34 AM)
I don't know if there is one site that breaks it down. I look at a couple different sites and go off memory.

The 49ers may of had some injuries during the season, but none of them must have been that serious. That team they had yesterday had every starter playing minus Rogers.

I'm not knocking the 49ers for that, I think it's impressive. I wish the Packers could do that. Even for just one year.

I don't think you are knocking that, but I'm not sure you're argument makes sense. How can you say not having Crabtree isn't serious? Or Manningham? Vernon Davis? Or having your best rushing linebacker out 5 games? Ian Williams (starting NT) out for the season. Starting CB Chris Culliver for the season. I think you losing Rodgers is huge obviously, and bigger than any loss we had so maybe thats why you classify the Packers loss as more significant.

But bottom line is they both teams with the exception of Matthews and Rodgers & Wright had everyone going yesterday (obviously Matthews being the bigger loss). Injuries are a good excuse for the 8-7-1 record, but not for yesterday's loss.

QUOTE (HeGone33 @ Jan 6, 2014 -> 11:47 AM)
I don't think you are knocking that, but I'm not sure you're argument makes sense. How can you say not having Crabtree isn't serious? Or Manningham? Vernon Davis? Or having your best rushing linebacker out 5 games? Ian Williams (starting NT) out for the season. Starting CB Chris Culliver for the season. I think you losing Rodgers is huge obviously, and bigger than any loss we had so maybe thats why you classify the Packers loss as more significant.

But bottom line is they both teams with the exception of Matthews and Rodgers & Wright had everyone going yesterday (obviously Matthews being the bigger loss). Injuries are a good excuse for the 8-7-1 record, but not for yesterday's loss.

Those guys came back and played. The Packers lost a lot of guys to season ending injuries - hence, serious injuries.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 6, 2014 -> 11:53 AM)
Those guys came back and played. The Packers lost a lot of guys to season ending injuries - hence, serious injuries.

Who are those guys?

If a guy comes down with a 3 week injury in week 15, and the team isn't headed to the playoffs, is that classified as serious then since it is season ending? If a guy misses the first 10 weeks of a season and comes back, is that not serious because it wasn't season ending?

Edited by HeGone33

QUOTE (HeGone33 @ Jan 6, 2014 -> 11:54 AM)
Who are those guys?

If a guy comes down with a 3 week injury in week 15, and the team isn't headed to the playoffs, is that classified as serious then since it is season ending? If a guy misses the first 10 weeks of a season and comes back, is that not serious because it wasn't season ending?

Clay Matthews, Casey Hayward, Brian Bulaga, Johnny Jolly, Jemichael Finley, Brandon Bostick, Jonathan Franklin, DuJuan Harris.

Lot's of good players in that list.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jan 6, 2014 -> 12:10 PM)
Clay Matthews, Casey Hayward, Brian Bulaga, Johnny Jolly, Jemichael Finley, Brandon Bostick, Jonathan Franklin, DuJuan Harris.

You're not going to get any sympathy on a board comprised of mostly Bears fans.

QUOTE (HeGone33 @ Jan 6, 2014 -> 11:54 AM)
Who are those guys?

You are really splitting hairs here. Crabtree's injury was serious, but the Niners were fortunate that he only missed the 10 weeks.

Frankly, just look at the injured lists and who was out. The Packers were and have been without Finley, Matthews, Heyward, Jolly, and Bulaga, while the Niners were without Manningham and Culliver. Those are your significant players. I'd say the Packers have been hit harder.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jan 6, 2014 -> 12:10 PM)

and probably the most significant of all, sam shields on the opening drive of the game. devon house is garbage and made crabtree look like TO in his prime. even despite your list, with shields in yesterday's game it changes everything

A breakdown off the Bears cap situation (If overthecap.com has their numbers right)

45.5 to begin with

Cutler- 22.5

Jennings 5.2

Slausson 2.7

Gould 2.6

Fiametta .7

Rookies 5

Cap to date ~6.8

Possible cuts and how much they'd free up

Peppers 9.8

Bush 1.8

Bennett 2.4

Podlesh 1

Weems 1.1

Total Cap ~22.9

Marshall can be extended to save lets say 2M to make the cap room 24.9

If things happen like that the Bears should have plenty of money to add 2 or 3 good defensive players. Esp. if they can work out contracts like they did with Bennett/Bushrod last year where they only counted 4.9M against the cap combined.

How many players would Bears have if you cut those 5?

If all the current Bears free agents walk and we cut those 5 were down to 25 guys (if my math is right). Add 7 assuming everyone we draft makes the team, that's 32. That leaves 21 spots to fill in FA and UDFA's.

Damn. That's what is killing me with Michael C Smith continuing to tout hte Bears low cap number, because our effective cap after accounting for 25 more players on league min salary is not something to be too excited over. But I'm still kind of glad we took Cutler's pay up front and aren't setting ourselves for the apocalypse that Dallas will be facing soon.

Here is how bad Packers safety M.D Jennings is. He played 855 snaps this year and did not defend one pass. Not one. Only player in NFL to play over 800 snaps and do that. You think he would have defended one on accident.

Packer safeties had zero INT this year.

@zachkruse2

Morgan Burnett and MD Jennings were targeted 60 times in 2013. Allowed 46 catches, 612 yards, 9 TDs and a passer rating of 148.1.

Edited by GoSox05

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jan 7, 2014 -> 09:54 AM)
Here is how bad Packers safety M.D Jennings is. He played 855 snaps this year and did not defend one pass. Not one. Only player in NFL to play over 800 snaps and do that. You think he would have defended one on accident.

Packer safeties had zero INT this year.

@zachkruse2

Morgan Burnett and MD Jennings were targeted 60 times in 2013. Allowed 46 catches, 612 yards, 9 TDs and a passer rating of 148.1.

MD Jennings for Chris Conte, straight up trade. Who says no?

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 6, 2014 -> 05:38 PM)
Damn. That's what is killing me with Michael C Smith continuing to tout hte Bears low cap number, because our effective cap after accounting for 25 more players on league min salary is not something to be too excited over. But I'm still kind of glad we took Cutler's pay up front and aren't setting ourselves for the apocalypse that Dallas will be facing soon.

Not so fast, it appears this contract has a few funky clauses, as well as Jennings and Slauson

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/footb...,0,316899.story