2013-2014 NFL Thread

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 7, 2014 -> 10:18 AM)
MD Jennings for Chris Conte, straight up trade. Who says no?

In the end it's s*** for s***.

Both teams will probably draft a safety or two in the next draft.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 7, 2014 -> 11:24 AM)
ugh, can you give me a little rundown? I hate Trib's paywall is so unforgiving.

basically the player and team have agreed that the signing bonus can be moved and allocated later in the contract in order to free up money to make moves, making the cap hit manageable

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 7, 2014 -> 06:32 PM)
basically the player and team have agreed that the signing bonus can be moved and allocated later in the contract in order to free up money to make moves, making the cap hit manageable

Cool. NFL contracts have to be the most confusing things in sports. It's been a week since the signing and basically nobody really knows what the contract means for putting together rest of team.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 7, 2014 -> 12:10 PM)
Cool. NFL contracts have to be the most confusing things in sports. It's been a week since the signing and basically nobody really knows what the contract means for putting together rest of team.

Yep, this is why I didnt want to freak out when Cutler signed, because none of us know how this impacts the cap, the roster, anything. We are all guessing.

And especially given Emery's press conference remarks about rebuilding the defense and getting playmakers, it just doesnt make sense for him to commit a hefty portion to Cutler immediately. The guy told us he was going to get Jay the tools to be a great offense, and he did it right away. Why would he say the same thing about the defense(at the press conference announcing Cutlers contract, no less) and then immediately hamstring himself?

And NFL GMs and Capologists are something else, those guys must have law and accounting degrees in order to do thier jobs.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 7, 2014 -> 01:40 PM)
Yep, this is why I didnt want to freak out when Cutler signed, because none of us know how this impacts the cap, the roster, anything. We are all guessing.

And especially given Emery's press conference remarks about rebuilding the defense and getting playmakers, it just doesnt make sense for him to commit a hefty portion to Cutler immediately. The guy told us he was going to get Jay the tools to be a great offense, and he did it right away. Why would he say the same thing about the defense(at the press conference announcing Cutlers contract, no less) and then immediately hamstring himself?

And NFL GMs and Capologists are something else, those guys must have law and accounting degrees in order to do thier jobs.

Cliff Stein is the man. I hope we never get rid of that guy.

Yes, it's the Colts. Only in 2001 (6-10) and 2011 (2-14) did they miss the playoffs. The Colts also made their two losing seasons count as much as possible, netting Dwight Freeney and Andrew Luck as first round draft picks.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jan 7, 2014 -> 01:18 PM)
Yes, it's the Colts. Only in 2001 (6-10) and 2011 (2-14) did they miss the playoffs. The Colts also made their two losing seasons count as much as possible, netting Dwight Freeney and Andrew Luck as first round draft picks.

8 of those 13 years they went one and done, and only made 3 conference championship games (pending this weekend's result)

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 7, 2014 -> 01:46 PM)
8 of those 13 years they went one and done, and only made 3 conference championship games (pending this weekend's result)

I think us Bears fans would trade for those results in a heartbeat, lol

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jan 7, 2014 -> 10:54 AM)
Here is how bad Packers safety M.D Jennings is. He played 855 snaps this year and did not defend one pass. Not one. Only player in NFL to play over 800 snaps and do that. You think he would have defended one on accident.

Packer safeties had zero INT this year.

@zachkruse2

Morgan Burnett and MD Jennings were targeted 60 times in 2013. Allowed 46 catches, 612 yards, 9 TDs and a passer rating of 148.1.

I think the DL and CB(if they let Tillman walk) is the more pressing need but I wouldn't mind the Bears taking HaHa if he's there not only because it is a need nut also because the Pack could really use him.

Edited by scs787

Safety is by far the most pressing need. By the end of the season, our DL was the second best position on the D after the corners. Now, most of our interior DL (the part that was playing borderline adequate) is not under contract. But if we can bring some of them back, I'd certainly pay more attention to safety if all else is equal. With that said, I'll take the best players I can get at any defensive position.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jan 7, 2014 -> 05:23 PM)
Safety is by far the most pressing need. By the end of the season, our DL was the second best position on the D after the corners. Now, most of our interior DL (the part that was playing borderline adequate) is not under contract. But if we can bring some of them back, I'd certainly pay more attention to safety if all else is equal. With that said, I'll take the best players I can get at any defensive position.

My argument against that, and it might be a silly one, but in 2012 the Bears had the same 2 safeties they did this year and they finished with a top 5 D. I'm not saying they don't need an upgrade, they do, but I don't think getting "superstars" there will fix the D more than adding "superstars" to the DL will. If Michael Bennett and Jarius Byrd both hit the market I'd want Bennett. If Melton isn't resigned and the Bears are looking at HaHa or Nix/Tuit/Hageman I'd take one of the lineman....Safeties are usually the "last line of defense", I think the Bears need to fix the "first line of defense" first.

Improved DL helps every level of the defense. Safety? Not so much.

Damn. That's what is killing me with Michael C Smith continuing to tout hte Bears low cap number, because our effective cap after accounting for 25 more players on league min salary is not something to be too excited over. But I'm still kind of glad we took Cutler's pay up front and aren't setting ourselves for the apocalypse that Dallas will be facing soon.

Eh its not all bad. If we come out of the draft with a lot of spots to earn in camp we'll be more attractive to the better UDFA's, that's where a large base of good ST players come from, plus you never know what you'll find there. Not much of a silver lining really, but something to consider.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jan 7, 2014 -> 06:42 PM)
My argument against that, and it might be a silly one, but in 2012 the Bears had the same 2 safeties they did this year and they finished with a top 5 D. I'm not saying they don't need an upgrade, they do, but I don't think getting "superstars" there will fix the D more than adding "superstars" to the DL will. If Michael Bennett and Jarius Byrd both hit the market I'd want Bennett. If Melton isn't resigned and the Bears are looking at HaHa or Nix/Tuit/Hageman I'd take one of the lineman....Safeties are usually the "last line of defense", I think the Bears need to fix the "first line of defense" first.

Improved DL helps every level of the defense. Safety? Not so much.

So you would take a good yet unspectacular pass rushing defensive end over the best safety in the game. Smart.