Most boring & uneventful offseason you can recall?

klaus kinski

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Feb 8, 2013 -> 05:52 PM)
What makes you think he isn't 100% committed?

Well Kenny was quoted as saying he had to convince Robin to take the job... Couple that with the fact that Robin has a very nonchalant attitude, it gives off a "whatever" kinda vibe...

QUOTE (Cali @ Feb 8, 2013 -> 11:07 PM)
Well Kenny was quoted as saying he had to convince Robin to take the job... Couple that with the fact that Robin has a very nonchalant attitude, it gives off a "whatever" kinda vibe...

A calm demeanor is not a misdemeanor. I'd say that Robin making the team take infield during the season and his diligence on fundamentals in ST are very strong signs that he's 100% invested.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Feb 9, 2013 -> 02:15 AM)
A calm demeanor is not a misdemeanor. I'd say that Robin making the team take infield during the season and his diligence on fundamentals in ST are very strong signs that he's 100% invested.

His next task is finding a way to avoid a late season collapse.

And maybe playing .500 ball against the Royals and Tigers.

It's a good thing the Sox re-signed Peavy. I think had they not done that, the team would be in deep trouble. I do hope the team can overcome the loss of AJ in the lineup. I can understand giving Flowers a chance. I hope the Sox scouts that think he can play are correct. If he is a black hole in the lineup and Beckham doesn't improve drastically we could be in for some anemic offensive performances on occasion.

But as far as the offseason ... signing Peavy was huge. At least now on paper the Sox have very competitive starting pitching. I do hope Robin and Cooper figure ways to get these guys to deliver 7 innings reliably. Five-plus innings doesn't cut it with our bullpen.

QUOTE (TomSeaverFan @ Feb 13, 2013 -> 04:14 AM)
It's a good thing the Sox re-signed Peavy. I think had they not done that, the team would be in deep trouble. I do hope the team can overcome the loss of AJ in the lineup. I can understand giving Flowers a chance. I hope the Sox scouts that think he can play are correct. If he is a black hole in the lineup and Beckham doesn't improve drastically we could be in for some anemic offensive performances on occasion.

But as far as the offseason ... signing Peavy was huge. At least now on paper the Sox have very competitive starting pitching. I do hope Robin and Cooper figure ways to get these guys to deliver 7 innings reliably. Five-plus innings doesn't cut it with our bullpen.

I'm curious whether you mean that our bullpen is bad in general or just not set up for long relief? Because I think our bullpen is going to be pretty good. No bullpen is set up to regularly succeed for 4 innings a game, but all of them have to do it occasionally.

For what it's worth, the average Sox starter lasted 6.2 innings last year. No idea where that ranks in baseball, but approaching 7 innings seems pretty good.

EDIT: For some reason, B-R and Fangraphs have different stats here, but they're roughly similar. AL average start was 5.2 innings. Sox starters were 5th in the AL in innings pitched, but only 20 total innings behind the leader.

Edited by ScottyDo

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Feb 13, 2013 -> 05:39 AM)
I'm curious whether you mean that our bullpen is bad in general or just not set up for long relief? Because I think our bullpen is going to be pretty good. No bullpen is set up to regularly succeed for 4 innings a game, but all of them have to do it occasionally.

For what it's worth, the average Sox starter lasted 6.2 innings last year. No idea where that ranks in baseball, but approaching 7 innings seems pretty good.

EDIT: For some reason, B-R and Fangraphs have different stats here, but they're roughly similar. AL average start was 5.2 innings. Sox starters were 5th in the AL in innings pitched, but only 20 total innings behind the leader.

Thank you for the stats. Interesting.