2013 Spring Training catch all thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (flavum @ Feb 19, 2013 -> 09:15 AM)
Another reason why Sale should start the opener...it takes the bat out of his hands in Washington.

Start him Monday and Sunday in Chicago, and let Peavy, Floyd, and Quintana/Danks hit in Washington.

I can't believe they instituted year round inter league without making the DH mandatory for both leagues.

• Replies 644
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Cali @ Feb 19, 2013 -> 11:31 AM)
I can't believe they instituted year round inter league without making the DH mandatory for both leagues.

In just interleague games or NL goes to fulltime DH too?

I see both sides...fans like what they're used to. I kinda hope they keep it the way it is, because if they ever have the same rule in both leagues, then they would be one step closer to radical realignment where the Sox and Cubs would be in the same division--and I would absolutely hate that.

QUOTE (flavum @ Feb 19, 2013 -> 11:43 AM)

I see both sides...fans like what they're used to. I kinda hope they keep it the way it is, because if they ever have the same rule in both leagues, then they would be one step closer to radical realignment where the Sox and Cubs would be in the same division--and I would absolutely hate that.

That's a good point.

QUOTE (flavum @ Feb 19, 2013 -> 11:43 AM)

The NFL has a league most similar to MLB's and they generally keep teams in common areas in separate conferences. New York/New York, Jacksonville/Tampa/Miami, Dallas/Houston, Baltimore/Washington, Philadelphia/Pittsburgh, San Fran/Oakland...why would you change that? I understand that some of that is historical, but the NFL plays by the same rules in both conferences and they don't do any of that. If you were to do that you'd oversaturate the local markets and you'd lose money, long-term. There's simply no way in hell that you'd see a major realignment nor the Cubs and Sox ever in the same division.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 19, 2013 -> 12:05 PM)
The NFL has a league most similar to MLB's and they generally keep teams in common areas in separate conferences. New York/New York, Jacksonville/Tampa/Miami, Dallas/Houston, Baltimore/Washington, Philadelphia/Pittsburgh, San Fran/Oakland...why would you change that? I understand that some of that is historical, but the NFL plays by the same rules in both conferences and they don't do any of that. If you were to do that you'd oversaturate the local markets and you'd lose money, long-term. There's simply no way in hell that you'd see a major realignment nor the Cubs and Sox ever in the same division.

I hope you're right, but the way they want more games within the division so there are more games within the same time zone for TV revenue purposes, it scares me they'll just blow it up and make it even more regional.

This is year one of Astros and Rangers in the same division. I think the Diamondbacks would have moved to the AL, but MLB wanted to use Astros/Rangers as a test to see what happens with attendance and TV ratings when they play each other head-to-head 19 games a year. If there's a noticeable spike over the next 5 years, then we'll see what happens.

Personally, I would have moved the D-backs to the AL, eliminated divisions, and played a more balanced league schedule with 18 interleague games, and top 5 of 15 qualify for postseason.

QUOTE (flavum @ Feb 19, 2013 -> 12:16 PM)
I hope you're right, but the way they want more games within the division so there are more games within the same time zone for TV revenue purposes, it scares me they'll just blow it up and make it even more regional.

This is year one of Astros and Rangers in the same division. I think the Diamondbacks would have moved to the AL, but MLB wanted to use Astros/Rangers as a test to see what happens with attendance and TV ratings when they play each other head-to-head 19 games a year. If there's a noticeable spike over the next 5 years, then we'll see what happens.

Personally, I would have moved the D-backs to the AL, eliminated divisions, and played a more balanced league schedule with 18 interleague games, and top 5 of 15 qualify for postseason.

Consdering how bad the Astros are going to be, I'd be shocked if there was any noticeable spike over the next few seasons.

QUOTE (flavum @ Feb 19, 2013 -> 02:16 PM)

I think the decision to move the Astros over the D-backs has more to do with the fact that one division had 6 teams while another had 4. D-backs wouldn't have fixed that.

Some other sites have numbers listed for some guys--

5- A Sanchez

7- Keppinger

18- Tekotte

20- Jor Danks back to 20

21- Flowers (not sure what Coop is doing, maybe 99 for Hickey?)

27- Lindstrom

36- Phegley

39- Anderson

40- Troncoso

54- Heath

60- Gray

Sox website still not updated. I'm guessing they have an inventory of #17 Flowers jerseys they're trying to sell before they admit he has a new number.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Feb 19, 2013 -> 12:58 PM)
Sox website still not updated. I'm guessing they have an inventory of #17 Flowers jerseys they're trying to sell before they admit he has a new number.

Yeah, I don't know what's going on with the numbers. Jared Mitchell was wearing 29, and now he's wearing 45 for picture day. Zach Stewart was 45 the other day so there seems to be some shuffling going on. Still, the Sox should have something on their website by now.

I do honestly hate that the Astros are in the AL now, 8 years after they were in the World Series for the NL. Any of the Padres, Rockies, and Brewers would have made more sense.

They needed an NL Central team to move to the AL West to balance out divisions. Geographically, Houston made the most sense. Of course, the real reason was probably more that MLB could force the move on a new ownership group and that the geographic fit was a nice coincidence. I guess you could have moved the Padres to the AL West and then the Astros to the NL West and that still could have worked.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Feb 19, 2013 -> 01:15 PM)
They needed an NL Central team to move to the AL West to balance out divisions. Geographically, Houston made the most sense. Of course, the real reason was probably more that MLB could force the move on a new ownership group and that the geographic fit was a nice coincidence. I guess you could have moved the Padres to the AL West and then the Astros to the NL West and that still could have worked.

Or D-backs to the AL. They could have had the Rockies as an interleague partner.

Col-Arz

SD-Sea

LA-LAA

SF-Oak

Hou-Tex

Chi-Chi

Cin-Cle

Mil-Min

Stl-KC

Pit-Det

Atl-Tor

NY-NY

Was-Bal

Phi-Bos

Mia-TB

Done.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (flavum @ Feb 19, 2013 -> 04:22 PM)
Or D-backs to the AL. They could have had the Rockies as an interleague partner.

Col-Arz

SD-Sea

LA-LAA

SF-Oak

Hou-Tex

Chi-Chi

Cin-Cle

Mil-Min

Stl-KC

Pit-Det

Atl-Tor

NY-NY

Was-Bal

Phi-Bos

Mia-TB

Done.

That doesn't make sense. Then you still have a division with 4 teams (NL West) and a division with 6 (NL Central)

EDIT: Unless you have the Astros moving to the NL West? I still don't understand how this is any better.

Edited by ScottyDo

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Feb 19, 2013 -> 01:51 PM)
That doesn't make sense. Then you still have a division with 4 teams (NL West) and a division with 6 (NL Central)

EDIT: Unless you have the Astros moving to the NL West? I still don't understand how this is any better.

Yes, it would have made more sense to move the Dbacks or Rockies to the AL to even out the leagues by time zone, plus the Astros have been an NL team for 50 years.

But as I said before, with 5 of 15 teams making the postseason, there's no reason to have divisions anymore. The Tigers made the playoffs with the 7th best record in the league. It's stupid. And believe me, I'd be saying the same thing if it were the White Sox.

Yes, it would have made more sense to move the Dbacks or Rockies to the AL to even out the leagues by time zone, plus the Astros have been an NL team for 50 years.

But as I said before, with 5 of 15 teams making the postseason, there's no reason to have divisions anymore. The Tigers made the playoffs with the 7th best record in the league. It's stupid. And believe me, I'd be saying the same thing if it were the White Sox.

Sports leagues have learned that having a larger number of divisions containing smaller numbers of teams keeps more teams in the playoff hunt for a longer period of time which keeps late-season interest high in more cities. Being "fair" is not the primary concern of the leagues.

QUOTE (flavum @ Feb 19, 2013 -> 02:12 PM)

Welcome to American sports. 9-7 teams make the Super Bowl while 10-6 teams miss the playoffs. It's all about excitement and fan interest, not the best team winning it all.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Feb 19, 2013 -> 02:15 PM)
Sports leagues have learned that having a larger number of divisions containing smaller numbers of teams keeps more teams in the playoff hunt for a longer period of time which keeps late-season interest high in more cities. Being "fair" is not the primary concern of the leagues.

Most of that is perception. If you have 15 teams playing a close to balanced schedule, more than likely you'll have 7 or 8 over-.500 teams and 7 or 8 under .500 teams. Over 162, the cream should rise to the top and the rewards should be for the best teams, regardless of geography. The AL Central shouldn't be a charity division.

It wouldn't have taken away from the Tigers and White Sox from competing for a Wild Card spot last year. And in the NL, the Braves and Giants could have been in competition for the 3-seed until the end to avoid the 1-game playoff with the Cardinals. Instead, the Braves knew forever they were hosting that 1-gamer. It would have been better if they were playing for something to the end of the regular season.

I personally think the DH should be in both leagues, but I understand the hesitation. They should at the very least test it out with ALL Interleague games.

If the pitchers could actually hit/gave a s***/worked on hitting it would be a different story, but all they are is a automatic K or Sac Bunt.

(And yes every once and a while a pitcher can hit, but they are abnormalities. 90% of all pitchers suck at hitting and are injury risks on the basepaths when they do luck into actual hits)

QUOTE (flavum @ Feb 19, 2013 -> 09:58 PM)
Beckham looks like he's doing a little Cal Ripken-y thing with his bat before he swings.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/video/play...18&c_id=cws

I like it. Eye level stays the same, swings through the ball a bit better. It's a little quieter too which is what I've always felt was the biggest flaw in his swing. Getting him hitting well would be monstrous.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 19, 2013 -> 12:24 PM)
I do honestly hate that the Astros are in the AL now, 8 years after they were in the World Series for the NL. Any of the Padres, Rockies, and Brewers would have made more sense.

How would the Rockies have made more sense by that logic? They were in the Series more recently than the Astros.