2013 Spring Training catch all thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 644
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Feb 25, 2013 -> 09:05 PM)
Interesting fact: the Sox are now 0-0-2 in zero-run games

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 25, 2013 -> 09:15 PM)
2 batters, 2 k's for Lindstrom in the game today.

Viciedo hbp and was taken out at the time. Septimo hurt his lower leg and was taken out.

Viciedo was apparently precautionary. Didn't see or read anything on Septimo but hopefully it's not serious.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Feb 25, 2013 -> 12:43 PM)
I think Beckham needs AAA. He seems so confused. I think he needs to tear it down -- get a rock-solid approach that he can test on lesser pitching so as not to get discouraged, and then try the ML again when he has it figured out.

For another team.

The Sox have invested too much in him to do that now. If they were gonna do it 2010 would have been the time.

QUOTE (Cali @ Feb 25, 2013 -> 11:43 PM)
For another team.

The Sox have invested too much in him to do that now. If they were gonna do it 2010 would have been the time.

That would be the worst idea. I mean, unless you want Brent Morel, Conor Gillaspie, or Carlos Sanchez (an extremely young, though promising, singles hitter) starting for your team.

This is either going to be Beckham's last year in a Sox uniform, or he's going to be productive. He's going to get paid around $4-5 mill next year and team-controlled time is running thin. They can only invest so much in him.

Beyond ANY of that, it's not even March, and he has a completely different stance and grip. Give it a little time. If it doesn't work, it won't work, and the Sox can look for a replacement come midseason if they're in contention.

I think that the Sox need at least one of their younger offensive players to step up and act like they belong as an integral part of a Major League lineup. Meaning that one of (preferably 2-3) Viciedo, Beckham, Morel, Sanchez, Flowers, Mitchell, Gillespie or maybe an "out of nowhere" minor leaguer need to prove that they can be a solid 1 - 5 place hitter.

If this does not happen then between age and expiring contracts I think that we will have a struggling offense for several seasons to come. That is unless they spend a boatload of money on free agents, which isn't likely. JMHO.

QUOTE (balfanman @ Feb 26, 2013 -> 08:47 AM)
I think that the Sox need at least one of their younger offensive players to step up and act like they belong as an integral part of a Major League lineup. Meaning that one of (preferably 2-3) Viciedo, Beckham, Morel, Sanchez, Flowers, Mitchell, Gillespie or maybe an "out of nowhere" minor leaguer need to prove that they can be a solid 1 - 5 place hitter.

If this does not happen then between age and expiring contracts I think that we will have a struggling offense for several seasons to come. That is unless they spend a boatload of money on free agents, which isn't likely. JMHO.

Depends on how you define a "Boatload". On paper, the Sox have Konerko, Dunn, Rios, and Peavy's contracts ending within the next 1-2 years. That clears $40 million on just the offensive guys, $54 million counting Jake.

QUOTE (balfanman @ Feb 26, 2013 -> 07:47 AM)

So you think that when Konerko's contract expires after this season and Rios & Dunn's contracts expire after the following season, Hahn isn't going to use any of the $40 million in savings in free agency? You think he's just going to go young across the board?

I think it's quite clear that Hahn is waiting for those three big contracts to come off the books before making any moves with signicant, long-term financial implications. By then, we'll probably have a few more cost-controlled guys in the offensive mix (Sanchez & Thompson) and a couple more hopefully pushing the door (Hawkins, Walker, DeMichelle, maybe Barnum). Plus we should know in the next year or two if De Aza, Viciedo, Beckham, Morel, & Flowers are part of the core or not. This will allow Hahn to spend more wisely and only have to fill the orgnaization's biggest needs in free agency.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 26, 2013 -> 08:01 AM)
Depends on how you define a "Boatload". On paper, the Sox have Konerko, Dunn, Rios, and Peavy's contracts ending within the next 1-2 years. That clears $40 million on just the offensive guys, $54 million counting Jake.

True, but if none of their current crop of youngster turn into anything special then you're looking at essentially replacing Rios, Dunn & Konerko with free agents of equal or greater offensive value. At the current rate of inflation you are talking a lot more than 40 million. If you don't replace all three, and no younger stars emerge, then you're going to have a struggling offense at best

QUOTE (balfanman @ Feb 26, 2013 -> 08:12 AM)
True, but if none of their current crop of youngster turn into anything special then you're looking at essentially replacing Rios, Dunn & Konerko with free agents of equal or greater offensive value. At the current rate of inflation you are talking a lot more than 40 million. If you don't replace all three, and no younger stars emerge, then you're going to have a struggling offense at best

Of course, but assuming that none of them develop into major league hitters is just as naive as assuming all of them do.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Feb 26, 2013 -> 08:09 AM)
So you think that when Konerko's contract expires after this season and Rios & Dunn's contracts expire after the following season, Hahn isn't going to use any of the $40 million in savings in free agency? You think he's just going to go young across the board?

I think it's quite clear that Hahn is waiting for those three big contracts to come off the books before making any moves with signicant, long-term financial implications. By then, we'll probably have a few more cost-controlled guys in the offensive mix (Sanchez & Thompson) and a couple more hopefully pushing the door (Hawkins, Walker, DeMichelle, maybe Barnum). Plus we should know in the next year or two if De Aza, Viciedo, Beckham, Morel, & Flowers are part of the core or not. This will allow Hahn to spend more wisely and only have to fill the orgnaization's biggest needs in free agency.

You're kind of making my point. In your scenario you have a couple or more of the youngsters succeeding. I'm saying that if they don't succeed then replacing our current core with equal or greater talent is going to be cost prohibitive.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 26, 2013 -> 08:15 AM)
Of course, but assuming that none of them develop into major league hitters is just as naive as assuming all of them do.

I could agree with this, but how long has it been since the White Sox have developed a solid, middle of the order bat? A core type offensive player?

I should point out that I'm not meaning just a major league hitter, I mean a solid middle of the order bat.

Edited by balfanman

I could agree with this, but how long has it been since the White Sox have developed a solid, middle of the order bat? A core type offensive player?

I should point out that I'm not meaning just a major league hitter, I mean a solid middle of the order bat.

Magglio Ordonez

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Feb 26, 2013 -> 08:26 AM)
Magglio Ordonez

Carlos Lee, Paul Konerko. They haven't really had many decent prospects in a while though either. They've had Konerko in there for close to 15 years now, and they've done a pretty good job of finding good replacements in those spots for about 8 years now too.

You hope Thompson can develop the sort of contact ability to hit .250, because he could hit 30+ homers with that sort of average, and then you hope Hawkins develops really nicely too.

QUOTE (balfanman @ Feb 26, 2013 -> 08:16 AM)
You're kind of making my point. In your scenario you have a couple or more of the youngsters succeeding. I'm saying that if they don't succeed then replacing our current core with equal or greater talent is going to be cost prohibitive.

It is a poor point to assume that the Sox will get zero contribution from their minor league players. Especially when the Sox got big contributions last year, and all indications are that the system has better quality in it that it has in a long time.

QUOTE (balfanman @ Feb 26, 2013 -> 08:18 AM)

Also realize that just because positions don't match up exactly, doesn't preclude the farm system from bringing us the player that does fit the system in a trade.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 26, 2013 -> 09:41 AM)
Also realize that just because positions don't match up exactly, doesn't preclude the farm system from bringing us the player that does fit the system in a trade.

(noteable successful recent example of this = Carlos Quentin).

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 26, 2013 -> 09:40 AM)
It is a poor point to assume that the Sox will get zero contribution from their minor league players. Especially when the Sox got big contributions last year, and all indications are that the system has better quality in it that it has in a long time.

Also worth pointing out again that the Sox have had success plucking guys out who were undervalued by other teams for whatever reason. 2 guys in our current lineup fit that description: De Aza and Ramirez.

It doesn't matter where production comes from if it is production.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 26, 2013 -> 08:43 AM)
Also worth pointing out again that the Sox have had success plucking guys out who were undervalued by other teams for whatever reason. 2 guys in our current lineup fit that description: De Aza and Ramirez.

It doesn't matter where production comes from if it is production.

The Sox have historically made a killing doing that. Pierzynski, Dye, Iguchi, Thome, Quentin, Floyd, Youkilis, Rios, even Peavy - the Sox have generally been very good about buying low and either selling or not bringing back at high value.