2013 Spring Training catch all thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 644
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Mar 8, 2013 -> 08:09 PM)
Seriously, can we bottle what Chris Sale said about his new contract and let the rest of the superstars drink it ?

"My dad sat me down, I was talking on the phone and he goes, 'Honestly, take a step back and look at it. What other team would you rather play for? What owner would you rather play for? Coaching staff would you rather play for?' I got everything I want right here."

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/artic...ws&c_id=cws

That is pretty amazing in this day and age, especially when you consider that this team has multiple guys who have done exactly this.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 9, 2013 -> 07:50 AM)
That is pretty amazing in this day and age, especially when you consider that this team has multiple guys who have done exactly this.

Just remember JR is a cheap horrible owner.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Mar 9, 2013 -> 10:00 AM)
Just remember JR is a cheap horrible owner.

He must be a hypnotist then to get so many players to take hometown discounts to play here... Sale, Konerko three times, Danks, Peavy, Buehrle for a lot of years...

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 9, 2013 -> 10:10 AM)
He must be a hypnotist then to get so many players to take hometown discounts to play here... Sale, Konerko three times, Danks, Peavy, Buehrle for a lot of years...

They may be the only way to explain the behavior of these players to many people on this board. Many of whom are convinced JR is the reason the Sox have not won a World Series in 8 years.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 9, 2013 -> 11:10 AM)

This deal wasn't a massive hometown discount. It's a reasonable deal for a kid under 25 to sign.

He could blow his elbow out tomorrow, never pitch again, and walk away with $33 million dollars based on 1 really good season as a starter.

Maybe he could have talked the team out of another couple million, but that is a real good deal for him too.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 9, 2013 -> 10:50 AM)
This deal wasn't a massive hometown discount. It's a reasonable deal for a kid under 25 to sign.

He could blow his elbow out tomorrow, never pitch again, and walk away with $33 million dollars based on 1 really good season as a starter.

Maybe he could have talked the team out of another couple million, but that is a real good deal for him too.

I've got to be honest, I think Hahn pulled off quite the deal. I read the article on Fangraphs that listed 8 comparable deals and it seems like the Sale deal was better than most and possibly all of them. Minimal salary increase in his final pre-arb year, low prices for the three arbitration years, and an extremely low first free agency year. The salary for those guaranteed years should have been much higher, especially since a lot of those comparable deals are now several years old and the cost of pitching continues to rise.

Also, getting two cheap options is incredible. Come on Balta, it's one thing for Sale to forego possible income down the road to lock in some money now, but you're telling me he couldn't have got way more in those two option years? $12.5 million & $13.5 million is what #4 starters will be making in 2018 & 2019.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Mar 9, 2013 -> 12:57 PM)
I've got to be honest, I think Hahn pulled off quite the deal. I read the article on Fangraphs that listed 8 comparable deals and it seems like the Sale deal was better than most and possibly all of them. Minimal salary increase in his final pre-arb year, low prices for the three arbitration years, and an extremely low first free agency year. The salary for those guaranteed years should have been much higher, especially since a lot of those comparable deals are now several years old and the cost of pitching continues to rise.

Also, getting two cheap options is incredible. Come on Balta, it's one thing for Sale to forego possible income down the road to lock in some money now, but you're telling me he couldn't have got way more in those two option years? $12.5 million & $13.5 million is what #4 starters will be making in 2018 & 2019.

Chris Sale could have easily gotten more money in the latter years, but to do that, he'd have to go through the normal arbitration and free agency process, where none of the money is guaranteed.

Through normal arbitration, it would take him 2 to 3 seasons to earn this much. He'd be minimum salary this year, $10 million or so next year, $14 million or so the next year, and then closer to $20 million in the 4th year.

Basically he traded a guaranteed salary for an early arrival at free agency. If you're a player with any worry about injury risk, and you're content with where you are, it's the right move. If he had any injury, then he might never earn that $30 million since it wouldn't get there until the 4th season.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 9, 2013 -> 12:38 PM)
Chris Sale could have easily gotten more money in the latter years, but to do that, he'd have to go through the normal arbitration and free agency process, where none of the money is guaranteed.

Through normal arbitration, it would take him 2 to 3 seasons to earn this much. He'd be minimum salary this year, $10 million or so next year, $14 million or so the next year, and then closer to $20 million in the 4th year.

Basically he traded a guaranteed salary for an early arrival at free agency. If you're a player with any worry about injury risk, and you're content with where you are, it's the right move. If he had any injury, then he might never earn that $30 million since it wouldn't get there until the 4th season.

I'm not saying he shouldn't have done the deal. I'm saying he probably have gotten more if pushed harder. Based on his comments, I don't think he was looking to milk every dollar out of us. Sounds like he just wanted to get a deal done quickly. I think Hahn would have been willing to go higher, especially with those option years.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Mar 9, 2013 -> 01:20 PM)
I'm not saying he shouldn't have done the deal. I'm saying he probably have gotten more if pushed harder. Based on his comments, I don't think he was looking to milk every dollar out of us. Sounds like he just wanted to get a deal done quickly. I think Hahn would have been willing to go higher, especially with those option years.

if i wAs a pitcher with his form in the majors i think Sale made a great contract. Sale can go the next six years almost worry free. If he makes it through the contract years without injury pitching like he did the last two years he could be very well paid in his 7th year when he is in free agency but he also has a guarantee if anything happens with his arm he has a great insurance policy.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 9, 2013 -> 10:50 AM)

Look at the Lincecum deal which was double this.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Mar 9, 2013 -> 11:57 AM)

If he had gotten those last two years as promised money instead of option years, this would still be a good deal by Hahn.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 13, 2013 -> 07:37 AM)
He was a high ceiling guy that had a ton of growth needed. It never happened.

He and Sale had some similarities on draft day. Then all the similarities stopped. Very surprising to me that no one could make Poreda a LOOGY at worst, though.