Ventura declines extension

peteward

"now with a full season of managing under his belt, he now sees himself possibly staying in the job longer than he originally thought--even if he’s not ready to sign on the dotted line.

“I think it changes how I thought about it last year. I was just trying to get through three years of it, just to make sure I can concentrate on that and get it done the right way,” he said. “Some people think they’re going to do it for a long time and it doesn’t work out that way, so I’m just enjoying each season as it comes, to be prepared for it and enjoy it.”

His approach to managing is a lot like playing: You don’t get to do it forever.

“You could probably do it for most of your life,” Ventura said. “But I don’t see it happening forever.”

I n my opinion, Ventura was not an exemplary Manager. Sometimes it looked like was not always happy to be here and was just going through the motions. His comment about just getting through the 3 year Contract has to be disturbing to Jerry and to management, and certainly is not something fans wanted to hear, even though he tried to explain why he declined the extension and left the door open.

I would offer Ventura a buy-out for his third year and look for another Manager for 2014. I think AJ would make a great White Sox Manager. He has a high baseball I.Q. , he is a proven winner, part of our 2005 W.S., and is a guy who would bring excitement to the park with him every day. Can anyone say that about Ventura? I just don't see why the Sox offered him an extension in the first place. They should wait and see what he does this season before making any further commitment to him.

QUOTE (southside_hitman @ Feb 14, 2013 -> 03:16 AM)
"now with a full season of managing under his belt, he now sees himself possibly staying in the job longer than he originally thought--even if he’s not ready to sign on the dotted line.

“I think it changes how I thought about it last year. I was just trying to get through three years of it, just to make sure I can concentrate on that and get it done the right way,” he said. “Some people think they’re going to do it for a long time and it doesn’t work out that way, so I’m just enjoying each season as it comes, to be prepared for it and enjoy it.”

“You could probably do it for most of your life,” Ventura said. “But I don’t see it happening forever.”

I n my opinion, Ventura was not an exemplary Manager. Sometimes it looked like was not always happy to be here and was just going through the motions. His comment about just getting through the 3 year Contract has to be disturbing to Jerry and to management, and certainly is not something fans wanted to hear, even though he tried to explain why he declined the extension and left the door open.

I would offer Ventura a buy-out for his third year and look for another Manager for 2014. I think AJ would make a great White Sox Manager. He has a high baseball I.Q. , he is a proven winner, part of our 2005 W.S., and is a guy who would bring excitement to the park with him every day. Can anyone say that about Ventura? I just don't see why the Sox offered him an extension in the first place. They should wait and see what he does this season before making any further commitment to him.

Edited by Quinarvy

QUOTE (southside_hitman @ Feb 14, 2013 -> 03:16 AM)

Not happy to be here? Ventura worked harder in his one year, than Guillen did in his eight years combined as Sox manager. I get people like to freak out and all, but can we quit making stuff up, please?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 14, 2013 -> 06:57 AM)
Not happy to be here? Ventura worked harder in his one year, than Guillen did in his eight years combined as Sox manager. I get people like to freak out and all, but can we quit making stuff up, please?

I agree.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 14, 2013 -> 06:57 AM)

Yeah, a manager doesn't have to be screaming and yelling all the time to be good. I think Robin did a great job last year, and apparently the Sox thought so, too. He definitely worked hard and was a better manager than Guillen was over his last 2 or 3 years.

I don't blame Ventura for turning down the extension, and his reasoning is probably at least half sincere. But, if the Sox have another good year with him at the helm, the Sox could be offering him a multi-year extension next offseason. And I'm sure that nugget is in the back of his mind.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Feb 14, 2013 -> 07:04 AM)
Yeah, a manager doesn't have to be screaming and yelling all the time to be good. I think Robin did a great job last year, and apparently the Sox thought so, too. He definitely worked hard and was a better manager than Guillen was over his last 2 or 3 years.

I don't blame Ventura for turning down the extension, and his reasoning is probably at least half sincere. But, if the Sox have another good year with him at the helm, the Sox could be offering him a multi-year extension next offseason. And I'm sure that nugget is in the back of his mind.

Plus you could see the difference on the field. To me that is the most important thing. Not some perception about his intensity or interest.

This is a guy who by all accounts was happy at home, not really looking for a job. He isn't talking about an early retirement, he's living up to his contract and then thinking about the next one. A solid, ethical, path from a pretty solid, ethical guy. It would be easy to take the extension, then retire. But he seems to be a man of his word, and I have no doubt if he signed the extension he would have done everything to manage that year as well.

Plus, physically he may be finding the grind to be too much. Is his ankle and leg holding up long term after surgery?

You are hired as the manager of a department store. They guarantee you a 3 year salary, which is how they got you out of selling widgets from home to begin with. Five years ago, you left the store as an associate and cashier. Having been essentially brand new to the job, you're excited, but a little uneasy. Still, you work hard and everyone appreciates the job you've done and the work you've put in, so much so that they just offered you an extension on the current deal they gave you. You are still a little unsure of yourself but more confident in your abilities having done a very good job for a year. Do you accept it, or do you wait closer to the end of your contract to accept another 1 year of service? What's the point right? Maybe in a year and a half you find something better or you grow tired of it. Maybe in a year and a half, you find you enjoy it so much that you want to do it for another 3-5 years.

Maybe we should all quit worrying that Ventura turned down a 1 year extension with 2 years remaining.

Oh, and bringing AJ on would be terrible. He was a great player, a great game caller, but he's also a dick who lived by the beat of his own drum. By most accounts, he was one of the roots of the 2009 collapse attitude wise when he was lying on the couch after like the 6th loss in 7 days watching the Florida game, not caring enough. How about in 2014, when the Sox are on their way to the 3rd consecutive winning season under Ventura, they just offer him a contract extension?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 14, 2013 -> 08:18 AM)
You are hired as the manager of a department store. They guarantee you a 3 year salary, which is how they got you out of selling widgets from home to begin with. Five years ago, you left the store as an associate and cashier. Having been essentially brand new to the job, you're excited, but a little uneasy. Still, you work hard and everyone appreciates the job you've done and the work you've put in, so much so that they just offered you an extension on the current deal they gave you. You are still a little unsure of yourself but more confident in your abilities having done a very good job for a year. Do you accept it, or do you wait closer to the end of your contract to accept another 1 year of service? What's the point right? Maybe in a year and a half you find something better or you grow tired of it. Maybe in a year and a half, you find you enjoy it so much that you want to do it for another 3-5 years.

Maybe we should all quit worrying that Ventura turned down a 1 year extension with 2 years remaining.

Oh, and bringing AJ on would be terrible. He was a great player, a great game caller, but he's also a dick who lived by the beat of his own drum. By most accounts, he was one of the roots of the 2009 collapse attitude wise when he was lying on the couch after like the 6th loss in 7 days watching the Florida game, not caring enough. How about in 2014, when the Sox are on their way to the 3rd consecutive winning season under Ventura, they just offer him a contract extension?

AJ has a lot of Ozzie in him, IMO. It made them great players, but it makes for terrible bosses.

Spin it how you want, but a manager declining an extension is never a good thing. We all knew Robin's interest in this position was luke-warm at best, and he had to be talked into it. That being said, I thought he did a great job getting the most out of a bunch of bums last year, and he'll have to do that again this year to make baseball interesting in August.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 14, 2013 -> 09:12 AM)
Spin it how you want, but a manager declining an extension is never a good thing. We all knew Robin's interest in this position was luke-warm at best, and he had to be talked into it. That being said, I thought he did a great job getting the most out of a bunch of bums last year, and he'll have to do that again this year to make baseball interesting in August.

I don't see anything wrong with it. Robin Ventura is about the White Sox. The previous manager was about the White Sox for a couple of years, then became about himself.

Robin said he's more comfortable and sees himself doing this longer than he thought when he signed the contract. He's just one of those guys that has his money, and wants to make sure the fit is still right for both sides before committing to any more time. Who knows, in a couple of years everyone (Robin, the White Sox and the fans) might be doing cartwheels he didn't sign an extension.

Who cares if he turned it down, it's not like this is college recruiting where other coaches will use this against the Sox in order to get players not to come to Chicago. If he wants to be here, he'll get the chance to stay for a good amount of time. If he decides this isn't for him, then at least he gave it a solid try.

I guess anyone can say this now that it's been reported, but it probably wasn't too far-fetched to think that Robin Ventura would be one to turn down an extension 1 year into the job. I don't think it really means a whole lot that he did, though.

Eventually (and not for a good while), the meatball-ish side of my fandom would be thrilled to see Pierzynski in his seat.

...or Juan Profundo...

It's kind of a nothing story, but truthfully I'd rather have a manager that really aspired to be a manager after his playing career.

This is rebuilding without saying it, so they'll put a decent team on the field and a likable manager in the dugout and in front of the microphones, and try to get the farm system rebuilt on the fly without doing a complete tear down, because economically the Sox can't afford to do it.

QUOTE (flavum @ Feb 14, 2013 -> 12:07 PM)
It's kind of a nothing story, but truthfully I'd rather have a manager that really aspired to be a manager after his playing career.

This is rebuilding without saying it, so they'll put a decent team on the field and a likable manager in the dugout and in front of the microphones, and try to get the farm system rebuilt on the fly without doing a complete tear down, because economically the Sox can't afford to do it.

This is incredibly accurate.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 14, 2013 -> 07:12 AM)

This. 100% this.

There is no speculation that Robin had to be talked into it, which leads me to worry.

I was one of the leading voices against his hiring, but I really hope he stays. He got the best out of some of these guys, and I hope it continues. But if I'm Hahn/KW I'm making damn sure McEwing stays on the staff for the next 2 years, cause I really think he could be a good manager.

QUOTE (flavum @ Feb 14, 2013 -> 12:07 PM)

Ventura is likable? I wouldn't say that at all. Especially with all the complaints about how boring he is.