2013 MLB Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Cali @ Feb 19, 2013 -> 11:35 AM)
Of the two biggest spenders this off-season who makes the playoffs and who tanks?

I think the Blue Jays will make the second wildcard, and the Dodgers just miss out on it.

I'm rooting for the Angels and Dodgers to miss the playoffs. Nationals too.

Blue Jays are going to win 90 games if their bullpen isn't awful.

I would just love it if some of LAA's personnel moves of the past couple of seasons blew up (literally and figuratively) in their face and took the entire team down. My level of dislike for this team that they've built themselves is on par with Red Sox teams of the last decade plus. I need to see them miss the playoffs, preferably finishing 10+ games out of their division lead and both Wild Card spots.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 19, 2013 -> 12:06 PM)
Angels finish 3rd again[/b], closer to 4th than 2nd.

Listening to the Score on my way home from work last night they mentioned that Mike Trout reported extremely overweight to camp. Anyone know if this is true?

QUOTE (balfanman @ Feb 19, 2013 -> 04:04 PM)
Listening to the Score on my way home from work last night they mentioned that Mike Trout reported extremely overweight to camp. Anyone know if this is true?

Lilnk

Fear not, Angels fans. Mike Trout assures you he is not fat.

Yes, the 21-year-old outfielder reported to spring training at 241 pounds, about 10 to 15 pounds more than he weighed in 2012 and five pounds heavier than slugger Albert Pujols, who checked in at 236.

And, yes, with his thick neck and muscular build, the reigning American League rookie of the year looks more like an NFL fullback than a major league leadoff hitter, causing an uproar among fans on Twitter and message boards, where Trout has been called, among other things, "Blimpy" and the "Hindenburg."

But most of the added weight is muscle — Trout's body fat is 9% — and he expects to lose about 10 pounds during camp, which would put him right around the weight he finished last season at, 230 pounds.

And he has not gained 30 pounds, as some have speculated. Though he was listed at 6-foot-1 and 210 pounds last season, he actually weighed between 225 and 230.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 22, 2013 -> 07:10 AM)
He says that now, but things change when money is involved.

So true. Didn't CC tell the Yankees "No" and everyone was praising him and a few days and $$$ later he was in pinstripes?

This could be the first time in the wild card era (19 years) that neither the Yankees or the Red Sox make the playoffs.

Yes, and then, after showing 100+ Yankees and/or Red Sox games on MLBN and ESPN during the season, and very few Blue Jays/A's/Indians games (or whoever ends up being the surprise playoff entrants) MLB will complain about low TV ratings for the playoffs.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Feb 25, 2013 -> 08:58 AM)
Yes, and then, after showing 100+ Yankees and/or Red Sox games on MLBN and ESPN during the season, and very few Blue Jays/A's/Indians games (or whoever ends up being the surprise playoff entrants) MLB will complain about low TV ratings for the playoffs.

MLB Never complains about "low playoff ratings". Other people complain about them and then pretend they're important (since they're used to other sports like the NBA and NFL where playoff ratings are a huge fraction of the revenue).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 25, 2013 -> 06:00 AM)
MLB Never complains about "low playoff ratings". Other people complain about them and then pretend they're important (since they're used to other sports like the NBA and NFL where playoff ratings are a huge fraction of the revenue).

Since you know, the World Series airs in the Fall, and FOX gives low rated shows such a short leash during the new Fall season. I hope the World Series doesn't get replaced by extra episodes of Kitchen Nightmares....