2013 MLB Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 24, 2013 -> 05:54 PM)
The Yankees miss the playoffs this year. You heard it here first.

I think that it gets even better than that. I will predict that the Yankees and Red Sox battle it out this season.......for last place!

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BP has a good long read from a former fringe major leaguer named Eric Knott who made the Diamondbacks and Expos rosters briefly at the height of the steroid era, including descriptions of using Greenies and how he felt when he saw other guys who were juicing. Really good read, recommend it.

I played with a player who cried in the clubhouse after being part of blowing a nine-run lead late in a game. The guy was soft. He was more dedicated to pulling chicks after the game than getting hitters out, and he was traded because the organization didn’t like that some of its young prospects were hanging out too much with him after games. When he took steroids, his performance changed, but so did his confidence and demeanor. He was one of the players who wasn’t afraid to let everyone know what he was doing. He was proud of how he’d changed. He went from being someone who couldn’t handle pressure to a key contributor for a time, before he was injured and never got his velocity back.

I saw players go from being fringe prospects to everyday big leaguers while I spent most of my time in Triple-A waiting to get a decent look. I was focused on doing what I could do for myself, and not on what others were doing. I never lay awake at night pissed off that other guys were getting chances when I wasn’t, and I still considered myself blessed to play professional baseball.

I had my best season in 2003, the year that Major League Baseball began anonymous testing to determine if steroid use was a problem in the game and whether it would be necessary to implement a comprehensive plan. It hadn’t occurred to me, until now, that the best professional season I put together might have been the result of a more level playing field.

If the example he cited occurred in the Majors, the game most closely resembling it was September 18, 2001. It wasn't quite a 9 run lead, but they scored 9 runs and did blow a 6 run lead. Between Knott's two seasons in the majors, there was only one other game that either of his teams lost where both teams scored 9 runs - the other was April 6, 2001. In that one, the DBacks went down early and fought their way back to make it somewhat interesting (though I doubt Knott was on the roster at that point anyways).

Unless players were hanging around Byung-Hyun Kim after games, said player would "allegedly be" Bret Prinz.

Whether it was the majors or minors changes everything, and the physical details describe Kim quite a bit better than they do Prinz. There are quite a few guys it could be too, hence the "allegedly."

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 27, 2013 -> 01:39 PM)
If the example he cited occurred in the Majors, the game most closely resembling it was September 18, 2001. It wasn't quite a 9 run lead, but they scored 9 runs and did blow a 6 run lead. Between Knott's two seasons in the majors, there was only one other game that either of his teams lost where both teams scored 9 runs - the other was April 6, 2001. In that one, the DBacks went down early and fought their way back to make it somewhat interesting (though I doubt Knott was on the roster at that point anyways).

Unless players were hanging around Byung-Hyun Kim after games, said player would "allegedly be" Bret Prinz.

Whether it was the majors or minors changes everything, and the physical details describe Kim quite a bit better than they do Prinz. There are quite a few guys it could be too, hence the "allegedly."

It's kind of fun trying to find guys who match these descriptions.

I saw a guy who was embarrassed to take off his shirt in the clubhouse because his breasts had begun to soften as a result of the estrogen that was included in some mixtures of steroids. He started out as a power-hitting prospect but never hit with the power people thought he would have. To his credit, he stuck around in the bigs as a backup and made a decent career for himself after the new policy took effect.

I think this is either Lyle Overbay, Jack Cust, or Erubiel Durazo.

Another teammate showed some of us a chunk that was missing in his ass as a result of an infection he got after injecting steroids in the same spot for too long. He was a dumbass, in my opinion, and he probably never studied up on them enough to know better. But he showed us that chunk like it was a badge of honor. He was one of the top rookies at his position and was in the top 10 of a major statistical category one year, but coincidentally or not, he didn’t do anything after the time that MLB began to test for and punish steroid use.

Sounds like Junior Spivey