2013 MLB Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (chw42 @ Mar 17, 2013 -> 12:16 PM)
Well, looks like we let one slip away.

Harrell started throwing 93-94 after he went to the Astros. He was always 90-91 with the Sox. It made a big difference.

He never struck me as a guy who ever would have been more than a #5 at best.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see a separate Yankee injury thread. Just the ARod one.

Teixeira injury more serious, could miss the season.

The injury that will keep New York Yankees first baseman Mark Teixeira out of the lineup until May at the earliest is not a wrist strain, as originally reported, but a partially torn tendon sheath that could potentially require season-ending surgery.

As of now, the Yankees are still expecting Teixeira to heal without needing an operation and to rejoin the club after about 8-10 weeks of healing time.

But Teixeira, who arrived at spring camp Sunday morning with his right wrist in a cast-like splint and will rehab there for the rest of the spring, raised the possibility that his absence could be longer than that.

"This is one of those things I can't come back too early,'' he said. "We saw last season when I tried to play too early [with a calf injury] what happened. If I try to play too early from this we could miss the whole season, and we don't want that. I don't know if it's the beginning of May, the end of May, the beginning of June, I don't know when it is but we got a whole bunch of season left and the time that really matters is the playoffs.''

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 17, 2013 -> 04:55 PM)
I don't see a separate Yankee injury thread. Just the ARod one.

Teixeira injury more serious, could miss the season.

Depending on which tendon it is that is a real problem. The only tendons in the wrist with the own synovial sheaths are the wrist radial abductors and thumb extensors.. These are the extensor pollucis brevis and abductor pollucis longus. These are the primary muscles for bringing your wrist up towards your radius or lifting the bat up. They also work eccentrically to control the bat to slow it down during follow thruogh or if you stop the swing.

If one or both of these tendons are coming through the sheath, swinging the bat comfortably is next to impossible. The tenosynovitis of these muscles is called DeQuervain's syndrome. It's really hard to swing a bat with this type of pain. I see it alot with discus throwers in track and field where they need to snap the wrist forward to get the spin on the disc.

This could be a significant problem.

So, the NFL want the Orioles to move their Thursday, September 5th game against the White Sox to the day so the Ravens can open the season that night in Baltimore.

O's in Cleveland, Sox in New York the night before.

I say f*** the NFL.

Plus it's a weekend before a big series with the Tigers, so the thought of playing a day/night doubleheader on Saturday isn't going to fly.

Tough s***, NFL. You can't always get what you want.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 18, 2013 -> 04:11 PM)
So, the NFL want the Orioles to move their Thursday, September 5th game against the White Sox to the day so the Ravens can open the season that night in Baltimore.

I say f*** the NFL.

Plus it's a weekend before a big series with the Tigers, so the thought of playing a day/night doubleheader on Saturday isn't going to fly.

Just play them both at night, it's not like anyone goes to Orioles games anyway. Final weekend of August in 2012, Baltimore hosted the Sox, both teams contending, and they got 36,080 fans. For the entire 3-game series.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 18, 2013 -> 04:47 PM)
Just play them both at night, it's not like anyone goes to Orioles games anyway. Final weekend of August in 2012, Baltimore hosted the Sox, both teams contending, and they got 36,080 fans. For the entire 3-game series.

I think they share parking. Logistically, I don't think the Orioles and Ravens can play at the same time.

This thing is a mess. To me, it's not the end of the world if they end up playing a day game if the Ravens/NFL compensate both the Orioles and White Sox.

My only other idea would be to trade the entire series home and away. So basically the Sox would have a 2-week road trip in July before the break, and a 2-week homestand in September---which isn't happening because of 4th of July weekend.

I'm just tired of the NFL dictating whatever they want to do whenever they want. Screw 'em.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 18, 2013 -> 04:56 PM)
I think they share parking. Logistically, I don't think the Orioles and Ravens can play at the same time.

This thing is a mess. To me, it's not the end of the world if they end up playing a day game if the Ravens/NFL compensate both the Orioles and White Sox.

My only other idea would be to trade the entire series home and away. So basically the Sox would have a 2-week road trip in July before the break, and a 2-week homestand in September---which isn't happening because of 4th of July weekend.

I'm just tired of the NFL dictating whatever they want to do whenever they want. Screw 'em.

This.

Also, lol Yankees.

I say f*** the NFL.

I don't know how this gets resolved for this year, but my guess is that beginning in 2014, any MLB team that shares a stadium/parking with an NFL team will be scheduled to be on the road the first Thursday in September to avoid the conflict ahead of time.

Of course, if the Bears would just win the Super Bowl every year, then there's no problem.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Mar 19, 2013 -> 08:33 AM)
I don't know how this gets resolved for this year, but my guess is that beginning in 2014, any MLB team that shares a stadium/parking with an NFL team will be scheduled to be on the road the first Thursday in September to avoid the conflict ahead of time.

Of course, if the Bears would just win the Super Bowl every year, then there's no problem.

Every other. They can alternate with the Bills.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Mar 19, 2013 -> 08:33 AM)

Except for the Tigers. It's not like the Lions will ever win a Super Bowl.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 20, 2013 -> 01:19 PM)
Jayson Stark ‏@jaysonst 2h

Other clubs say #Astros still telling teams they'll listen on anyone if they get 2 or more players back. Lots of scouts eyeing Lucas Harrell

Two or more players? s***, Stefan Gartrell, Jeff Gray, and David Purcey for Harrell and Carter, ok?

I'll post it

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 21, 2013 -> 08:48 AM)
Peter Gammons ‏@pgammo 2h

Scott Boras insists Kyle Lohse isn't holding on past the draft. "We have too many teams in play," Boras says.

So many that Boras is sure he won't wait till mid-season to sign.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 21, 2013 -> 11:15 AM)
WBC.

Glad De Aza and Rios made it back in one piece,

I wonder how much Herm would command on an open market?